Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you bring if invited to friends Ranch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you’re the guest, be a considerate guest.
    If you’re the host, make your guest feel welcome.
    People really over-complicate these things.
    Of course etiquette is a two way street but if you’re expecting something in return, it’s not really giving is it? Give with zero expectation of return and you’ll never be distressed waiting for your payment. You just give and be a happier person for it.

If the guest is a lot of trouble, just don’t invite them back. Or do, but mention that you could use some help cooking and cleaning. Make your expectations clear.
    Last edited by Sika; 07-15-2018, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately, a lot of folks dont process the mind set that an invitation is not and should not be considered, as mentioned a resort outing/stay. I am not sure where the mind set originates, my guess it's the way a person is/was raised. If those peeps that are not so helpfull/gracious are good friends and or good people other than not helping, you might mention it at the time of the invite. Something as simple as "I am hosting a social gathering and would like for us all to share in the cooking, cleaning and all of the fun that goes along with said gathering." If they don't get the hint stop inviting them.

Minimally, I like to bring adult beverages and will make home made salsas that folks are not going to be able to buy at a store.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
        If you’re the guest, be a considerate guest.
        If you’re the host, make your guest feel welcome.
        People really over-complicate these things.
        Of course etiquette is a two way street but if you’re expecting something in return, it’s not really giving is it? Give with zero expectation of return and you’ll never be distressed waiting for your payment. You just give and be a happier person for it.

If the guest is a lot of trouble, just don’t invite them back. Or do, but mention that you could use some help cooking and cleaning. Make your expectations clear.
        This Pretty much sums it up for me also, well said. Definitely bringing snake boots, work gloves and a gracious attitude as a guest. If any thing else is expected I would hope to be informed.

Comment

I pack the cooler full of steaks, some potatoes, and bring a handle or two of whiskey. I bring extra ice for drinks. I may bring a few cigars, and I’m never too stingy to lose a little bit of my OWN money at the poker table. I also bring along stuff I think my friend may find useful; items in the past that have been gifted are: game cameras, optics, tools, feeder parts, electric hoist... etc, and of course I’m always up to help with projects around the ranch. Cleaning up at the end of the trip and hauling out trash if necessary as well.

I always get invited back, so I’m guessing I’m an ok guest.

Comment

If I have somebody out to the place, I don't require anything from them except that they have a good time.
            If I invite someone over to the house for a party, I don't expect them to cut the grass before they leave. Or even load the dishwasher.
            I don't have friends just so I can get something out of them.
            If they feel like bringing something, that's fine, but if they didn't, I wouldn't even notice. It would never cross my mind.

Comment

I guess I have a different meaning of "friends" than some.

I don't invite out people that I don't know how they'll behave and I don't get invites from folks that don't know how I'll behave.

That's why we're friends

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                I've been known to bring steaks, BBQ, beer, whiskey, gifts, etc etc as a guest.

And when I have guests at the house and lease, I usually feed, house, clean and make sure they are well taken care of.

I guess you could say I'm a giver and not a taker as a guest and host . I've come across a lot of takers in my life but I enjoy the giver side of it. It can be a lot of **** work but it is what it is. All I expect is in return is a thank you and sadly you'd be surprised how many forget that...
                When Clay peed the bed full of Zima did he offer to get a new mattress or try to cover it up with turkey feathers?

Comment

Corn, timers, beer, food, chairs for stands, cushions for chairs in stands etc... Things I know they need.

Now, if I invite someone out to my place and they kill the biggest hog of their life? I expect them to at least give me a spare battery holder.
                  Last edited by Fishndude; 07-16-2018, 05:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                    If I have somebody out to the place, I don't require anything from them except that they have a good time.
                    If I invite someone over to the house for a party, I don't expect them to cut the grass before they leave. Or even load the dishwasher.
                    I don't have friends just so I can get something out of them.
                    If they feel like bringing something, that's fine, but if they didn't, I wouldn't even notice. It would never cross my mind.
                    Same here. I don’t want someone to think that I’m expecting anything other than their company when I invite them over.

I also don’t invite someone to come over and hunt and then tell them they can’t shoot a buck, etc. I would be disappointed if I got invited to a friend’s place and couldn’t really hunt.

Comment

I bring knives to show off and leave with less of them! It's more fun for me than money. Last time we went we filled all the water tanks for the owner in 108 heat. I made a knife for the guide for skinning my kills and I even volunteered to clean one that he thought I'd gutshot. Turned out it was quartering away from me and the bullet went between the ribcage and the gutsack fragmenting in the chest cavity! Got to keep my pride AND show my knife skills!! When your a knifemaker being good is required but being lucky don't hurt none either!!

Comment

I've been blessed with the opportunity to hunt a college buddies property for 20+ years. Over the years we've installed hot water heaters, tagged sheep, fixed a windmill in addition to trimming lanes on the ranch. We've also built several blinds, bought feeders and always bring 10-20 sacks of corn all on my cost. The occasional bottle of whiskey always helps as well.

Bottom line....treat it as if it was yours and you'll usually get invited back.

Comment

I wouldn't invite those people again. Problem solved

Comment

when invited, I ask and insist on the host to let me help, buy things, set up, clean up, assist in some way.
                            Its simply respect for the invitation and generosity of the host.

I dont expect that when I host, but the ones that return that same sentiment get remembered for next time.

Comment

I really get the meaning of having guest over. Inviting someone over to your vacation place, and not expecting anything. I don't think anyone on the green screen is expecting anything from a guess.
                              I also didn't buy a vacation place to have friends come over, and me serve them. That would get old every weekend.

Comment

If I have people over I don’t expect anything out of them other than being polite. The ones that help clean up, bring gifts, etc are usually the ones I invite back. If I owned a ranch, and I invited people to come hunt for free I would actually expect the rooms they stayed in to be clean at the very least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X