Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you bring if invited to friends Ranch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you bring if invited to friends Ranch?

I own a couple of ranches around Texas. I have friends bring food and cook for the weekend. They will help clean up, and do whatever is needed to have the place ready for the next weekend. They might even bring a cool gift. (something for around the house, a bag of corn,protein, etc). I usually ask them to come back.
    I also have friends who think I asked them to come for me to serve them. (Eat all my food, don't make the bed when leaving, etc).
    Am I being to picky?
    I don't mind cooking and having good time. I would even let them shoot something.
    Sometimes I just don't want anybody coming because, of all the extra work I have to do. Kinda like owning a boat. Some people had enough respect to help the owner clean his boat and some said bye after a fishing trip.

I would bring GOOD steaks and all the other food and drinks.
    10 gallons of gas, my own sleeping bag and some corn. Do all the cooking and cleaning and not expect to shoot a deer. Hogs and doves? Yes, my limit

No, you are not being picky.

Comment

Not being picky at all. I always ask what to bring & jump right in to do work or help out anyway I can. I ALWAYS bring the best steaks I can get & any other fixings.

Comment

Been there....done that...…
        They even expected me, to drive'em there.....
        No your not being picky.....

Comment

I have a friend that invites me to his high fence several times a year. I don't have much opportunity to hunt deer very much. I've never hunted public for deer and don't have enough deer hunting knowledge to do so. So I'm always very grateful when he invites me out. I'll bring a few bags of corn, always clean up after myself, and help do stuff around the ranch if needed. I enjoy running snares which some of them see as a chore. He lets me take a MLD deer or two. A lot of the time I don't even hunt deer, I'll fish and hunt hogs.

I'm sorry that those guys don't pitch in! Hopefully they don't ruin for the rest of the people you invite out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My buddy from AK came down to hunt last December. He'd been in TN for a conference before coming to texas. He got me a bottle of small batch Jack Daniels with a thank you engraved on the bottle. Pretty cool. And we've been trading hunts for years.

Gratitude is hard to measure, but if you eat my food and drink my whiskey, I hope you enjoy it. I guess I know that the people I invite out will be gracious. If they don't get a second invite they probably will get the message.

Comment

I've been known to bring steaks, BBQ, beer, whiskey, gifts, etc etc as a guest.

And when I have guests at the house and lease, I usually feed, house, clean and make sure they are well taken care of.

I guess you could say I'm a giver and not a taker as a guest and host . I've come across a lot of takers in my life but I enjoy the giver side of it. It can be a lot of **** work but it is what it is. All I expect is in return is a thank you and sadly you'd be surprised how many forget that...

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post

And when I have guests at the house and lease, I usually feed, house, clean and make sure they are well taken care of.

I guess you could say I'm a giver and not a taker as a guest and host . I've come across a lot of takers in my life but I enjoy the giver side of it. It can be a lot of **** work but it is what it is. All I expect is in return is a thank you and sadly you'd be surprised how many forget that...
                Well said.

Comment

Don't have any friends that own any ranches, but we hunt a ranch down there every year for pigs and javelina. We always bring all of our own stuff, never ask for any help of any kind. Offer them to stop by camp and eat dinner with us, drink a few beers, or crown and cokes. Tell them if they are by camp when we're not around and need any thing to eat, drink, sleep, tools, what ever to help them selves. We pay a daily fee ( glad to do) and make sure while we are there, no trash is left any where, in the field or camp. And when we leave, leave the camp sight better then we found it. I wish I had friends that owned ranches, and would love to cook, clean, drive, fix feeders, fences what ever needed to be done. It would be heaven to help out with something like that. Good friends are hard to find, good friends with ranches are rare. I appreciate being able to hunt someone's property wether it's " free" or iam paying a trespass fee. And try and treat there property and them with the utmost respect and care. I will generally send who ever it is we are dealing with a Chritmas card with a couple hundred bucks in it also.
                  Last edited by critter69; 07-15-2018, 10:31 PM.

Comment

When I invite people to hunt with me, I try to be a good host.

We buy groceries, do all the driving and guiding, and most of the cooking. I work hard to make sure our guests are comfortable and having a good time. I'll even clean their deer for them.
                    All that is ever expected in return is a little help cleaning up the kitchen and camp when we're done. Groceries, beer, corn, and cash are nice contributions, but not expected.

When I was a kid I got invited on a lot of hunts and I never had money to chip in for food or buy expensive gifts for the hosts. Now that I have the means to take others hunting, I enjoy giving back. Yes, it's a lot of work, but I don't invite people to hang out so they will give me stuff.

Edit: I will say if I am invited somewhere, I clean up after myself, clean and take care of my game, help with chores, and chip if for food and beverages. I'll bring a nice bottle of wine for my hosts if they like that sort of thing.
                    I gave someone a custom made duck lanyard once as a "thank you."
                    As a guest, I do not expect to be catered to.
                    Last edited by Sika; 07-15-2018, 10:37 PM.

Comment

I always bring good food and cook. I will bring whatever beverages the host would enjoy and it’s usyally stuff I know. Good wine or whiskey or a variety of beer. I usually pay something for what I shoot except at my sisters and I would if they would take it. I clean and skin any game that needs it and try to leave the place somehow better than I found it. It’s an honor to be invited somewhere and should be treated that way!

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post

When I invite people to my families ranch, I normally buy the food, and cook it because that's something I enjoy doing. I expect help doing some of the chores, but that's it. My friends have been great though!

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                        And when we leave, leave the camp sight better then we found it.
                        This is what my dad taught me, can't go wrong.

Comment

sweat equity, always help clean, cook/always offer to cook

Comment

Originally posted by CJ776 View Post
                            sweat equity, always help clean, cook/always offer to cook

Yes ...I forgot to add this in as a guest as well. I am big on cleaning up after the big meals and before we leave....Especially at my brother's and parents' around the holidays.

Comment

I hear what your saying. Always want to help out the guest. After all they are the guest.
                              I never want to invite people just so I could get something from them. Just a little help would be nice. If I don't want to help as a guest, I would go pay to stay in a resort.
                              Maybe I'm wrong, but when someone invites me to their beach house, ranch, vacation home or etc. I'm doing whatever they need me to do.
                              Some owners take advantage of this which is just as bad as the guests not helping.

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                              When I invite people to hunt with me, I try to be a good host.

We buy groceries, do all the driving and guiding, and most of the cooking. I work hard to make sure our guests are comfortable and having a good time. I'll even clean their deer for them.
                              All that is ever expected in return is a little help cleaning up the kitchen and camp when we're done. Groceries, beer, corn, and cash are nice contributions, but not expected.

When I was a kid I got invited on a lot of hunts and I never had money to chip in for food or buy expensive gifts for the hosts. Now that I have the means to take others hunting, I enjoy giving back. Yes, it's a lot of work, but I don't invite people to hang out so they will give me stuff.

Edit: I will say if I am invited somewhere, I clean up after myself, clean and take care of my game, help with chores, and chip if for food and beverages. I'll bring a nice bottle of wine for my hosts if they like that sort of thing.
                              I gave someone a custom made duck lanyard once as a "thank you."
                              As a guest, I do not expect to be catered to.

Comment

Working...
                              X