No announcement yet.

Traveling nurses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My son did the traveling nurse for 4-5 years. He bought a RV and was in Oreogon and Washington. Traveling nurse was paid so much for housing and he put it on his RV and saved a lot of money. He loved it and the area up NorthWest is beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawgdog374 View Post
      My son did the traveling nurse for 4-5 years. He bought a RV and was in Oreogon and Washington. Traveling nurse was paid so much for housing and he put it on his RV and saved a lot of money. He loved it and the area up NorthWest is beautiful.
      Is never even thought about an rv. That would be a tempting option.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BTGuard View Post
        My fiance is currently in nursing school, and graduates with a bsn in May of next year. She was talking about potentially looking at doing a traveling nursing job for a couple years. With my job I can pretty much live wherever, and just fly back to my territory whenever required, so it seems like it could be a good way to see some country before settling down too much.
        Anyone either done this or had a family member that did? Good and bad? Sounds like pay can be quite a bit better then normal, plus good experience and they pay for housing and moving.

Good buddy of mine his wife and 2 kids have been all over the country. (Hawaii, Idaho, Utah, and a few others I can not remember. They bought a camper and pull it wherever they decide to go. Brings home some cash every week too, he didn't work just home schooled the kids. They continue to take assignments ever so often when they want a change it up. She will stay PRN at the local hospital so when she comes back she can still work I believe. Like others have said, she will have to have some sort of experience usually for ICU, NICU, or OB at least a year experience. My wife and I have talked about it briefly before kids, but we havent made the plunge. Good luck hope it works out.

Comment

That's been the biggest question. I've of the nurses at the hospital she's doing labs at said she did it straight out of school, so will have to see how that works out as well.

My advice as a nurse...its a horrible idea straight out of school. Absolutely horrible. You learn so much in your first year or two of nursing that you never learned in school. School is essentially a waste of time. Real on the job experience is what you need to build your foundation. That being said, starting in traveling will not offer her the proper education she needs. They money is very enticing but you need to think about liability. Simple mistakes can cost someone their life and she has a license on the line.

I work at a higher acuity hospital in DFW and we have travelers from time to time. We had a couple young girls from Alabama come in thinking they were prepared for their job and boy were they wrong. There is a huge learning curve with each hospital and how they operate, their charting system and most importantly their patient type. One of the girls had a major screw up and the patient coded from titrating the pressors the wrong way. Simple mistake but she just didnt understand what the drug was.

I would highly suggest a year or two at a bigger hospital to learn her foundations, medications, etc before venturing off. Dont forget...hospitals that hire travelers are doing so because they are in trouble. Their staff quit, they are overrun by patients, dont pay their staff well, etc. A hospital doesnt hire travelers when things are good. Strike nurses make killer money but dont forget, there is a huge liability walking into a hospital where all the staff walked out.

One last bit... lots of these assignments are not necessarily where you want to travel. Hawaii may sound good but doesnt pay crap. California is very hard to get into but pays great. If you're willing to pay $2500/month rent (or take the free housing sharing a place with other people). My friend Emy is paying $900 and lives with 4 families. And you need to work with a few agencies. The Alabama girls I mentioned earlier were getting paid less than me after taking the free housing they shared. I wasnt making that much money then
          Last edited by 8mpg; 04-18-2018, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
            my advice as a nurse...its a horrible idea straight out of school. Absolutely horrible. You learn so much in your first year or two of nursing that you never learned in school. School is essentially a waste of time. Real on the job experience is what you need to build your foundation. That being said, starting in traveling will not offer her the proper education she needs. They money is very enticing but you need to think about liability. Simple mistakes can cost someone their life and she has a license on the line.
            x1,000,000!

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
              My advice as a nurse...its a horrible idea straight out of school. Absolutely horrible. You learn so much in your first year or two of nursing that you never learned in school. School is essentially a waste of time. Real on the job experience is what you need to build your foundation. That being said, starting in traveling will not offer her the proper education she needs. They money is very enticing but you need to think about liability. Simple mistakes can cost someone their life and she has a license on the line.

I work at a higher acuity hospital in DFW and we have travelers from time to time. We had a couple young girls from Alabama come in thinking they were prepared for their job and boy were they wrong. There is a huge learning curve with each hospital and how they operate, their charting system and most importantly their patient type. One of the girls had a major screw up and the patient coded from titrating the pressors the wrong way. Simple mistake but she just didnt understand what the drug was.

I would highly suggest a year or two at a bigger hospital to learn her foundations, medications, etc before venturing off. Dont forget...hospitals that hire travelers are doing so because they are in trouble. Their staff quit, they are overrun by patients, dont pay their staff well, etc. A hospital doesnt hire travelers when things are good. Strike nurses make killer money but dont forget, there is a huge liability walking into a hospital where all the staff walked out.

One last bit... lots of these assignments are not necessarily where you want to travel. Hawaii may sound good but doesnt pay crap. California is very hard to get into but pays great. If you're willing to pay $2500/month rent (or take the free housing sharing a place with other people). My friend Emy is paying $900 and lives with 4 families. And you need to work with a few agencies. The Alabama girls I mentioned earlier were getting paid less than me after taking the free housing they shared. I wasnt making that much money then
              Great advice. Thanks. A year or 2 of experience sounds like a big deal. We still have time to figure all this out, but the more we talk the more we are thinking a year may be a good idea somewhere before reevaluating

Comment

High pay. Low benefits.

Comment

Great advice. Thanks. A year or 2 of experience sounds like a big deal. We still have time to figure all this out, but the more we talk the more we are thinking a year may be a good idea somewhere before reevaluating

FYI, many hospitals that have a "Residency" or internship program for new nurses will often require a contract to work for usually 2-3 years after the training period is over...

Comment

That department is all her! Luckily I can be pretty much anywhere for my job. We have 3 cities she is planning on applying in, and hopefully can choose from there whichever place offers the best choice.

Comment

Working...
                    X