Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NannySlayer View Post
    Just kidding.

But I am having unexpected back surgery next week. Things have escalated rather quickly for me over the past month.

I started having left leg pain back in September. I don’t know what caused it. I just know I hurt. I went to the chiropractor for about 2 months, then PCP, did oral and steroid injections, physical therapy, inversion table... finally went for an MRI after no relief. I have a large herniated disc that pressing against my S1 nerve root which causes the sciatica in my left leg. I followed up with a neurosurgeon who relayed I could have deficits that ruin my career if it herniated more. I did decompression and went to an airrosti. They expedited my surgery from late June to next week. I’m going to a second neurosurgeon today for a second opinion. My primary neurosurgeon is wanting to do a discectomy to relieve pressure from my nerve root. I just know I’m in constant pain.

Feel like the weight of the world is on my shoulders. I can barely put pants on to make it to work... trouble mowing my yard... cleaning or picking anything up... sneezing... but Gods got a plan.

If it’s not one thing it’s another.

I’ve been placed on light duty at work. Recovery is going to take at least 6 weeks.

Not looking for anyone’s horror stories. With the severity of my injury... surgery is best. Just send one up for me to the big Man upstairs if you will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had the same surgery on October 14th, 2016. I was experiencing the same excruciating pain and helplessness and avoided surgery. Finally caved and had it done. It was the best decision I ever made and I was back in a tree stand on my birthday, November 13th. (I had back up to help drag a deer if I downed one!). 2 hours after surgery I woke up and walked myself to the bathroom. It was like someone it the switch and pain was gone. I dealt with the real bad pain for almost 6 months to the point I thought my muscle memory would create a permanent hitch in my step. Two years later and I’m still doing great!! Good luck and don’t be nervous! You’ll feel brand new!

Comment

I just left neurosurgeon for second opinion and he said surgery is a must. He said expect for me to have a desk job in 10 years, that He doubts I’ll firefight forever.

Hard pill to swallow right there.

You'll be glad you did it. Find someone who can be with you for the first couple of days to help out. I have some suggestions to make things easier if you want, PM me.

Comment

Look at the pics I have posted on my recent back surgery. I have had 2 other docs tell me he is a rock star of neurosurgeons. He is at Baylor Plano, and Methodist Addison. Dr. Jeremy Denning.

If you like Medical City, Joseph Beshay is another great one.

There is another I wont name that I wouldn't recommend that worked on me last fall, and didn't do enough.

My back surgeries have been unrelated to what yours are, but get the best. Hopefully your procedure can be the scoped microsurgery. Relief is immediate.

Comment

I just left neurosurgeon for second opinion and he said surgery is a must. He said expect for me to have a desk job in 10 years, that He doubts I’ll firefight forever.

Hard pill to swallow right there.

You got this! Ain't no quit in the NS I know! You didn't get where you are by following or doing the norm. For that matter, look at all of the other stuff you have overcome! Get the right doc, then get the posters made showing your success!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Had my second back in December, and my second go around of drop foot cause of nerve damage. Not happy about the slow recovery.

Comment

Prayers for ya. Hoping for a speedy recovery

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Prayers for relief and recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by newmathewsfan View Post
                  I’ve had 3 surgeries, all at the lumbar level. One of the surgeries was a “re-do” because I didn’t follow doctors orders to the letter during recuperation. You will find that there is immediate relief and you’ll be tempted to do more than you should. Don’t!!!!!

This!!! 6 months in and I re-injured. Got bad enough about 5 yrs ago I almost did surgery again but got better thru PT. Now I just manage it thru stretching and a lot of ice when needed.

Comment

Thanks for all the great insight, y’all.

How long before y’all could draw back your bow? Ride in a boat to go fishing? Roll over in bed, pain free? Fly in a airplane? Go on a rollercoaster? (Going to Disney 3 weeks post surgery)

Comment

How long before y’all could draw back your bow? Ride in a boat to go fishing? Roll over in bed, pain free? Fly in a airplane? Go on a rollercoaster? (Going to Disney 3 weeks post surgery)

Can’t speak for my self, but none of the above for my wife , cannot ride on the boat, still has trouble at night getting comfortable and sleeping whole night,going to the ranch no way “ roads to many bumps “
                      Airplane no problem, but I don’t think she would even consider Disney.
                      I took the kids to Disney “ misery land “ lots of walking
                      Let your body tell you what to do , and then think twice about that
                      Every surgery and healing process is different
                      She is 5-6 years post operation and still can’t carry anything or do laundry, sweeping and mopping not happening
                      I will say again every one is different

Comment

How the heck did I miss this?!! Stephanie, I'm sorry you are having to go through this! You made a very important confession in your post in that you know God has a plan! THAT is the first step to overcoming this, but I know you already know that. My request for you is that you PLEASE follow the doctor's instructions to a T... PLEASE!! I can guarantee you THAT is a major part to God's plan for you! He will take care of you and will put the right care-givers in place to do a healing for you, but the most important part of all of the healing process is the rehab on a back injury. If you medical team tells you to forget Disney until later, listen to them... Whether you drive, fly, or whatever, if they advise against it, don't do it!! I know you are a tough lady and I have the utmost admiration for you and for your service to the community, but in order for your service and ministry to others to continue, you need to take care of yourself first.

Lord, You know this dear lady, and You know she is in pain. We thank You Lord for bringing her to this point where the proper treatment can bring about healing through Your hand. We ask You Lord, give her rest, ease her pain and guide all her care-givers to a successful outcome and complete healing of her back. This sweet, sweet lady spends her life serving others Lord. We ask You, serve her with Your compassion and mercy by taking away her pain and making her whole again. Give her wisdom and patience to follow Your will and direction through the wisdom and advice of her medical team. Give them the right knowledge and guide their thoughts and hands as they minister to our sister Stephanie. Lord we Love You, and we thank You for bringing her to this point. Take her through this according to Your promise and bring her to the other side healthy and stronger than ever. In Jesus name, Amen.

Comment

Best of luck. My 81 year old father went through this, and came out feeling like a new man within hours of the surgery. It's been three years now and no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                            How the heck did I miss this?!! Stephanie, I'm sorry you are having to go through this! You made a very important confession in your post in that you know God has a plan! THAT is the first step to overcoming this, but I know you already know that. My request for you is that you PLEASE follow the doctor's instructions to a T... PLEASE!! I can guarantee you THAT is a major part to God's plan for you! He will take care of you and will put the right care-givers in place to do a healing for you, but the most important part of all of the healing process is the rehab on a back injury. If you medical team tells you to forget Disney until later, listen to them... Whether you drive, fly, or whatever, if they advise against it, don't do it!! I know you are a tough lady and I have the utmost admiration for you and for your service to the community, but in order for your service and ministry to others to continue, you need to take care of yourself first.

Lord, You know this dear lady, and You know she is in pain. We thank You Lord for bringing her to this point where the proper treatment can bring about healing through Your hand. We ask You Lord, give her rest, ease her pain and guide all her care-givers to a successful outcome and complete healing of her back. This sweet, sweet lady spends her life serving others Lord. We ask You, serve her with Your compassion and mercy by taking away her pain and making her whole again. Give her wisdom and patience to follow Your will and direction through the wisdom and advice of her medical team. Give them the right knowledge and guide their thoughts and hands as they minister to our sister Stephanie. Lord we Love You, and we thank You for bringing her to this point. Take her through this according to Your promise and bring her to the other side healthy and stronger than ever. In Jesus name, Amen.
                            I'm with Charlie. Do what the docs tell you. Another prayer sent for you Steph.

Comment

My dr said I can’t go out to the ranch or drive the Defender for 3 months due to rough ground. I’ll be honest with you, no way I’d do Disney 3 weeks post Surgery. I’m 4 weeks and went to my first softball game last night. You have to do what the dr advises or very well end up back where you started. It’s a hard pill to swallow and every time I get stir crazy and pause and think about starting over then go back to doing nothing.

Comment

I am sorry to hear you are going through this. Prayers that the surgery goes perfect and a quick recovery!

Comment

Working...
                                X