No announcement yet.

Minimum longbow poundage for whitetail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 41 pound A&h has killed several deer and a few pigs.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat8910 View Post
      Lol you never did sell me the acs you said u
      Would!!! But that is one of the bows im talking about

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat8910 View Post
        Good point here. Not all 35-40 pound bows are created equal.

I've got a 32# highly reflexed longbow made by Bill Matlock that will smoke an arrow. I don't hunt with it but I could where legal. it's great for teaching newcomers. Easy draw and flat trajectory with the right arrows.

Colorado minimum for elk is 35# (but those dope-smoking elk are softer than the Wyoming elk that require 50#)

Comment

Originally posted by smokin feathers View Post
          A high performance 40 will shoot the same arrow faster than a lower performance 45-50 pound bow. Ive chrono'd a ton of bows and have had several light bows that would outperform heavier bows all day long, so you are loosing nothing but draw weight
          This is interesting. What are somethings to make a bow more high performance versus low performance?

Say...possessing only one bow...could things be done to tweak it to more high performance? I speculate minimizing weight on the string to squeeze out extra fps, modern spaceage string material, etc...?

Comment

Design, Limb design string etc, look at acs, black swan das those are all fast high performance bows, dryad also uses acs limb design. Had sevetal morrison bows that also fit the bill.

If your inly gonna go one bow look at getting a ilf setup you can really tweak them as well as turn poundage up and down.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
              This is interesting. What are somethings to make a bow more high performance versus low performance?

Say...possessing only one bow...could things be done to tweak it to more high performance? I speculate minimizing weight on the string to squeeze out extra fps, modern spaceage string material, etc...?
              Fast flight string might help, but when you hear the phrase "high performance" in regard to bows, think "high dollar".

Look up Border Bows, for instance, their bows shoot arrows amazingly fast, compared to other bows of the same draw weight, due to the deep hooks in their recurve limbs that store so much energy when drawn, then released. This is possible due to the design and materials they're using. Only drawback is they're expensive.

My own 70# recurve shoots the same arrows noticeably quicker than my 90# longbow/selfbow. It's not just about drawweight. The Jay Weathers recurve has a very efficient limb design that shoots my 680-grain arrows pretty quick -- never chrono'd but would guess close to 200 fps.

Good luck on a quick recovery, Briar.

Comment

Byron, what others have said about today's technology in bows is absolutely true . I have a 43# Dryad ILF recurve with their new carbon limbs and it will really sling an arrow. It's easy to draw and hold and every time I shoot it I'm amazed at how hard and fast such a light bow will shoot. The only drawback to this advanced technology is that it dosen't come cheap. I'm just old and set in my ways and prefer a bow that is a little more traditional, so I only shoot the Dryad when I'm sore or tired. But, having said that, I have a Fox traditional longbow on order and it will have the bamboo and yew limbs backed with carbon fiber and the riser will be linen marcarta instead of pretty exotic wood for added mass. I guess I'm starting to embrace the new technology. This is the bow I was tying to get you to help me finance by buying the Whip.

Comment

Double checked my recollection about Border Bows. They are indeed expensive -- a 2018 Covert Hunter is $1,900. But they are fast. Found a Pete Ward review, where he chronographed a Covert Hunter 49#@28". A 492 grain arrow came in at 188 fps, while even an 800-grain arrow flew 158 fps.

BTW, have no connection to Border Bows, don't own one, just providing info.

Comment

TT, Chuck, SmokinFeathers...thank yall for the info.

Comment

Just keep your shots close and your broadheads sharp and you'd be good with 40 or so pounds.

Comment

If you have doubts about a marginal poundage bow, just be sure to hedge on all the factors you can: Crazy sharp cut on impact head, keep the shot less than 15-yards, small diamter shaft, highish gpp, etc.

Comment

Working...
                        X