Buzzards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sweetinlow660 View Post
    NO permit required to shoot the black headed buzzards. They are an invasive species out of mexico and not native to Texas. They are NOT protected. Red headed (Turkey Buzzards) are protected but they very rarely attack new born calves unless they are near death/lifeless in my experience.
    This. The black headed buzzards are aggressive pests.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
      I think it might be. At least that is my working theory around fawning time. I try to leave as many dead hogs as possible scattered around my place to keep the yotes occupied. You see, coyotes are Democrats. They're always messing in your business and they can't turn down a freebie.....
      I can't see that as doing anything but attracting still more of the pests. Coyotes may only have a given number in an area, but those buzzards can literally start showing up by the hundreds if there is plenty of food.

Comment

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
        This. The black headed buzzards are aggressive pests.
        Are you sure they aren't protected? I just always assumed they were. I did a quick search and came across this article where they are trying to get them off the protected list, but it's also a year old.

The Protected Black Vulture is at risk from Southern Cattlemen. The WIldlife agency says agressive birds are devestating livestock

Black vultures and more than 800 other species of birds are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 which makes it illegal to kill the birds without a federal permit.

Comment

For the record:

It’s also illegal to shoot a human. But if one is trying to kill you..... well I guess file for a permit would be best

Comment

We shoot them with .300's when they're jacking with the cattle. It's a lot of fun

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

I wasn’t saying whether he should or shouldn’t shoot them, I was just replying to the comments saying it was legal to do so. If they were killing my animals, I know how I would handle it.

Comment

.17HMR is a fine buzzard caliber.........at least that is what I have been told. 😁

Comment

GET A PERMIT TO KILL VULTURES

Killing vultures is illegal unless someone has a permit allowing it. There has to be a reason for killing them, such as losing livestock to the vultures. Call 505-248-7882 or visit the Fish and Wildlife Service website for more information.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetinlow660 View Post
                    NO permit required to shoot the black headed buzzards. They are an invasive species out of mexico and not native to Texas. They are NOT protected. Red headed (Turkey Buzzards) are protected but they very rarely attack new born calves unless they are near death/lifeless in my experience.
                    This information is not correct. They are native to Texas and protected.

Comment

Originally posted by El Viejo View Post
                      This information is not correct. They are native to Texas and protected.
                      I stand corrected sir. You are correct, I was misinformed or actually just misunderstood the situation from which I drew that conclusion. I was unaware that the person I got my info from was in possession of a permit.

Should have reasearched it for myself. That being said it looks like there is a very strong movement to get them removed from the list.

Comment

Our local TPW biologist has helped several ranchers obtain depredation permits. You might try contacting yours. We also have a Gov. trapper in Victoria Co. if I'm not mistaken he needs no permit.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                          For the record:

It’s also illegal to shoot a human. But if one is trying to kill you..... well I guess file for a permit would be best

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                            Lol, proper permission to be a free man. Come back to reality and realize that holds no weight in today's society tough talk.

Appreciate the info on the black headed buzzards and permits. I have some bird watching environmentalists on one side of me, and they would be calling a warden in a New York minute if they seen me busting a buzzard. Looks like there are ways to make sure my rear is covered, and not just using "being a free man" lol.

Wasn’t trying to rile you, bud, but it sure doesn’t sound like you’re free if you need to check with the gov’t first. I guess just suffer through a diminished calf crop if you can’t deal with them any other way. Good luck. Dang buzzards have gotten way more aggressive in the last twenty years or so.

Comment

I didn’t read every post but dang that has to be frustrating. Why exactly are they protected?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X