No announcement yet.

Cotton Seed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen the local feed store with cottonseed bags, which look like 40# or 50# bags. Is this the best way to buy if you are only filling up a couple of feed stations on a property?
    Last edited by No-Tox; 10-09-2018, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
      I've seen the local feed store with cottonseed bags, which look like 40# or 50# bags. Is this the best way to buy if you are only filling up a couple of feed stations on a property?
      Bulk cottonseed is the easiest to feed and cheaper but hard to find up here in NTx. If you are up here in Ellis county as your avatar says it will be hard to find a cotton gin that keeps whole cottonseed.

Is the stuff at your local feed store regular cottonseed or delinted? If it's delinted (meaning just a smooth seed) it’s normally pretty pricey and you can’t feed it in a cage. You should be able to find a blended whole cottonseed pellet cheaper than the delinted for sure...but again, can’t feed it in a wired cage setting. Whole cottonseed still has the fuzzy lint on it. That’s what we feed in the wire.
      Last edited by RascalArms; 10-09-2018, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
        Expect cottonseed to be expensive this year. A bunch of the cotton is still in the field flooded. Going to create a shortage and the gins have contracts for the majority of it and sell the surplus to the public. Deer love it and it is about 26% protein, but i think it lacks the right protein to bypass and equate to mass. The deer will be fat for sure.
        Got 4 semi loads for about 160 a ton
        Attached Files

Comment

They are ginning cotton now. Most gins don’t keep seed year round so you have to get it now. If you wait till spring it will be tough to find around here. You should be able to get all you want in Avalon or Frost. They really want to sell by the ton not a couple hundred pounds. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
            Expect cottonseed to be expensive this year. A bunch of the cotton is still in the field flooded. Going to create a shortage and the gins have contracts for the majority of it and sell the surplus to the public. Deer love it and it is about 26% protein, but i think it lacks the right protein to bypass and equate to mass. The deer will be fat for sure.
            Yep going to be a lot less available in West Texas this year.

Comment

I’ve seen a few feeders made of chemical tote cages. Has anyone used this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hello everyone. I'm brand new to this forum and to the sport of deer hunting as well. I got a promotion at work and I was finally able to save enough money to get my first hunting lease for the 2017-18 season. Ive been wanting to harvest a deer since i was five years old (im 35 now) and unfortunately I wasn't able to get a deer, which I'll share my story whenever im allowed to post new threads. Anyways, for the past year I've been asking questions and doing as much research as I can to help me bag my first deer. During my research I came across interesting topics about the pros and cons of feeding cottonseed. If you have 15min I encourage you to watch this video on youtube. I don't know if it'll be any help, but hopefully it can give everyone some insight, and help their decision. Thanks for everyone's time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaredlee264 View Post
                  I’ve seen a few feeders made of chemical tote cages. Has anyone used this?
                  Post #13

Comment

Anywhere you can buy the baskets for the cotton seed?

Comment

What's the volume of a ton of cotton seed?

Comment

Anyone have a contact to buy cotton seed by the ton in Victoria and surrounding area. Send me some info, thanks.

Comment

Sorry, I was out town. I'll get one tomorrow.

Comment

Here is a pic I have in phone. I will get better pictures tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Royal21973 View Post
                              Here is a pic I have in phone. I will get better pictures tomorrow.

What’s is the brown stuff you dumped on it?

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                                What’s is the brown stuff you dumped on it?

Molasses more than likely

Comment

Working...
                                X