Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
    Ok,
    To start off, I was in Madisonville yesterday and stopped in the shop on 45. I have been seeing posts on trad gear a lot lately and it really got me intrigued. I tried out one of the Ragim Wildcats they sell. I don't know much about any trad gear but it was super fun to shoot. It only took a handful of shots for the Trad bug to bite me It was 60" and 36lbs so it was very easy to draw and shoot without a tab or glove. I was shooting from the shelf one over, three under.
    Just playing around with it without any experience at all and i was able to hit a 10" target every shot from 10 yards away. No real groups, just kinda all over the page. I was rather happy just to accomplish hitting the target without a sight.

Now for the questions,
    The bow i was shooting (Ragim Wildcat) is that a decent bow? I realize i would need to increase poundage to say, what about 40 or 45# for targets and hunting as a newb? I know the DicksSporting Goods here in the Woodlands sells the Samick Sage. Would that be a better alternative, they are both in the same price range.
    Also, my draw length for my compound is 28.5, how does that change going to a trad bow? I normally hunt from an elevated popup. Im not too sure if i could pull off shooting a 60" recurve from an elevated popup window. EDIT: i will not hunt with it right away, need some serious practice first

And lastly, what is the major differences in a longbow and a recurve besides the riser differences? Is one more difficult than the other to shoot?
    From the picture, Samick Sage look a lot stronger. I am not sure if the Ragim can handle hunting draw weight. I have been shooting Samick Sage/Journey for more than two years. I have no plan to change it.
    It's possible that your draw length with recurve will be longer. People shoot differently. Prepare everything for longer draw length is a good idea. My recurve draw length is longer and it keep expanding for awhile. A short bow can(possible) put your draw length under limit. If that happens, it will be difficult to get your true draw length. FYI, I can pull my Samick Sage 40 lb to 30 in. I don't feel anything unusual. I am a small person( and not strong).
    I shoot Samick Sage/Journey with Hoyt Super Rest. This rest allows me to shoot my left over compound bow arrows which come with plastic vanes.
    Search on internet about the difference between recurve and long bow. You will get a lot info.

Comment

Go to a trad shoot and meet people, see what they shoot, talk about different equipment and styles.
      Come to Chester, May 20-21. Chester is located approx 70-80 miles northeast of Houston
      Email me and I will send you a flyer
      bdecker@nederlandisd.org

Comment

Originally posted by BillDecker View Post
        Go to a trad shoot and meet people, see what they shoot, talk about different equipment and styles.
        Come to Chester, May 20-21. Chester is located approx 70-80 miles northeast of Houston
        Email me and I will send you a flyer
        bdecker@nederlandisd.org
        Thanks for the invite Bill, but i will be out of town those two days unfortunately.
        I'll try to stop in at any trad shoots nearby whenever i can.

Thanks for all the help and tips fellas. I appreciate it

Comment

I'm still a trad beginner. I bought a Sage and like it a lot. It's great that you can buy new limbs to increase the draw weight.

Comment

I have a 45lb sage with a new custom string from DanielB89 I will sell you at a fair price if your interested.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

I think you will really like the Sage. The one I have and most of the ones I have seen shot are real shooters. I like it almost as much as my custom bows. I do think you may want to consider getting another bowstring for it. I am also not familiar with the Ragim Wildcat. Start with no more than 40 lb limbs as the others have said. Please do not overbow yourself initially as that alone can kill your interest in shooting a traditional bow. The great thing about the Sage is that you can get a new set of limbs for $75.00 so you can work your way up in poundage as you progress. Work on form and accuracy with the lower poundage until you get comfortable and then settle in on a weight that is comfortable for you. I am sure you can find someone in your area to mentor you. Tuning of the arrow and bow is critical to good arrow flight and when you are by yourself, it is a lot, I SAY A LOT, of trial and error. You should take Bill Decker up on his invite to Chester. There are a lot of good shooters there and lots of people who would be willing to give you some pointers. It is a lot of fun. Good luck and welcome to the Traditional side of archery.

Comment

As others have said go with the Sage. I've got a 35lb one that was essentially my beginners bow after I bought a 45lb Journey that was too much bow for me. I hung onto the Sage and still use it several times a year for form work or whenever I feel that something just isn't "right" in my shooting.

Richard.

Comment

Thank you for all the info guys. I would love to take up Bill's offer and go to the shoot but i will be out of town that weekend.

DRT, I shot you a PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X