Name:	MFDC6097 (Large).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	24513582

Comment

I would target that big mature old 8

You got that 11 at 5.5?

Comment

It's very difficult to get native deer in that to hit 150.
        We hunted 1100 ac in Blanco for 20 years - saw 4 killed 1.

Comment

Congrats on the buck & the plot is looking good.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
            I would target that big mature old 8

You got that 11 at 5.5?
            Yes, we have the 11pt at 5.5yrs and are going to give him one more year.

Here are the bucks we are targeting this year, which are mostly culls or bucks past their prime:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Old 8pt.jpg
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	24513585
            This is an old 8pt, probably around 6.5yrs+. We have pics of him going on 5 years and he goes from 7-points to 8-points every other year. Never seen him in person.

Name:	Old 10pt.jpg
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	24513586
            This buck is 7.5yrs. We have pictures of him going on 6 years.

Name:	Old 11pt.jpg
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	24513587
            This 11pt is 8.5yrs+. We have pictures of him going on 6 years as well and we thought he was 3.5yrs the first year we saw him. He looks younger and younger every year.

Name:	Big Bodied 8pt.jpg
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	24513588
            This is a big bull of an 8pt. He is at 6.5yrs+ as well. Lots of history with him as well.

We have a lot of great looking 2.5yr olds through 4.5yr olds that we are excited about. Just trying to remove some of these older bucks/feeder hogs.

Comment

Well, it doesn't look like it's gonna get much cooler over the next couple of weekends. I was hoping it was gonna get cooler this next week and more rain would come. I hope the food plots hold up. We got 1.7" of rain on one plot but it seems that it's going to be in the high 80's for a couple of weeks without any rain. This is where I wish we planted with a seed drill and had some good thatch on top of the soil to preserve moisture. We'll see how well they hold up over the next couple of weeks.

Comment

FarmLogs shows we got 0.40in of rain last night. I hope that's correct bc the plots needed it with these high 80's/low 90-degree days recently.

Comment

I monitored that shower that popped up just west of our place, dusted us then went right over the San Saba towards your place. I don't think we got much out of it though. There was another good rain just at the Menard/Mason county line that went north.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee230 View Post
                    I monitored that shower that popped up just west of our place, dusted us then went right over the San Saba towards your place. I don't think we got much out of it though. There was another good rain just at the Menard/Mason county line that went north.
                    How are all the projects going at yalls place this year? Seen any good bucks?

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
                      It's very difficult to get native deer in that to hit 150.
                      We hunted 1100 ac in Blanco for 20 years - saw 4 killed 1.
                      It is but they need age 6,7,8 yrs old.

Comment

10/24/17 Update

We shot a couple of does this past weekend and I shot an old 11pt that we have pictures going on several years. The 11pt looked younger and younger every year and he never had a big body:

Name:	IMG_7027 (Medium).jpg
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	24515214
                        We think this is the buck that had a growth on his face in 2012, which we though he was a 3.5yr old back then but who knows. Here are some previous years pictures of the buck i shot:

Name:	Buck History.jpg
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	24515215

We found one of our 10-pointers dead in the middle of a field. before I saw his teeth, I thought he was a 6.5yr old based on previous years pictures, but his teeth look like a 4.5yr old. Here are some pictures of him over the past couple of years and a picture of him in velvet this year with poor body condition and a picture of his teeth:

Name:	10pt Buck Progression.jpg
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	24515216
                        How old do you guys think this buck was?

Comment

That skull looks really white clean and sunbleached to be on that carcuss

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                            We shot a couple of does this past weekend and I shot an old 11pt that we have pictures going on several years. The 11pt looked younger and younger every year and he never had a big body:
                            [ATTACH]878918[/ATTACH]
                            Good deal.

Congrats!!!!

Comment

Awesome place

Comment

Thanks! I wish the big bodied 8pt came around for one of us to shoot but he didn't show last weekend. Maybe next time.

Comment

Working...
                                X