No announcement yet.

Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What age do y'all plan on killing your better deer?

Comment

Originally posted by JeffK View Post
      What age do y'all plan on killing your better deer?
      6.5+

Right now, we just have too many deer on our place so our main goal has been to try to help reduce the population by shooting does and a couple of the smaller bucks in each age class. We have a number of bucks that are in the 6.5+ range this year that we would like to see shot this year since their antlers haven't gotten any bigger.

Comment

How old do you think the ten is in picture 8. He looks ripe for the picking

Comment

I think he is 5.5yrs. His belly looks deep in that picture, but there's a dirt patch underneath his belly that looks like his belly and is pretty deceiving.

The buck in pic #4 is 7.5/8.5yrs. We have pictures of him for the past 5 years. He's on the hit list. He isn't very big, but he is still a cool looking buck.

Comment

man you got some pretty solid bucks!!!!! That one 10 is going to be a stud next year

Comment

I hope he does. I have to say that I've been somewhat disappointed in the growth we've seen from bucks going from 3.5ys/4.5yrs to 4.5yrs/5.5yrs. I would have thought that we would have seen bigger antlers on three or four bucks but it seems they are the same size as the year prior.

Comment

9/2/2017 Update

My son, Mason, and I went out to the ranch this weekend with my parents to get the new bow blind set up and to trim around all of the bow blinds. Here are some pictures from the weekend:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6158 (Large).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	24509928

Name:	IMG_6159 (Large).jpg
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	24509929

Name:	IMG_6134 (Large).jpg
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	24509930

Here is the 3.5 acre field. My dad has disked it twice now. We will disk it one more time before we spread the fertilizer and seed around the last weekend of September:

Name:	IMG_6114 (Large).jpg
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	24509931

Name:	IMG_6177 (Large).jpg
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	24509932

I noticed that our bass pond doesn't have any plants growing in it in the first three feet of water. I'm not sure what's causing this (cattle drinking and stepping into pond?). I'm sure that's not good news for our bluegill population. Going to look into possibly fertilizing the pond next spring to help the water quality and fish production.

We got another 0.5in of rain on Saturday evening. We received 6.5in of rain in August so everything is very green out there. The oak trees are loaded with acorns.
                Last edited by bgleaton; 09-04-2017, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Looks like a nice place, thanks for sharing.

Comment

I always enjoy reading your posts. That's an awesome place yall have. Lots of hard work have been poured into it.

Comment

It looks like my dad will be planting two of the three food plots on Thursday (9/21) since he will be out there and the forecast shows a good chance of rain from 9/25 to 10/2 and the high temps for the next 15 days is 83. Let's hope it all holds together.

Comment

Looking good, my brother has a place on the river about 3 miles west of Menard.

Comment

9/22/2017 Update

My dad finished planting one of the 3.5 acre field today. We put out 16-20-0 fertilizer at a rate of 75lbs/acre and put out oats, wheat and elbon rye at a rate of 150lbs/acre. We seeded fairly heavily because when we broacast we lose some to birds. After seeding and fertilizing we drug the entire field. The weather forecast shows 30% chance of rain on monday, 80% Tuesday-Thursday and a 60% chance on Friday. They are forecasting anywhere from 2 to 4-inches. Let's hope they are right. Bring on the rain...

Here's a picture of the field:

Name:	NW Corner Plot (Large).jpg
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	24511169

We will plant the other 2-acre field and the 1.5-acre field this next weekend. We're ready for bow season.

I hope to have some trail camera pictures to post up this weekend.
                          Last edited by bgleaton; 09-22-2017, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Looks like what any Texas hunter could every dream of. What a blessing. And you're clearly a great steward of the land and generations will benefit from the dedicating and hard work.

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind."

Comment

Originally posted by bjsexpress View Post
                              Looks like what any Texas hunter could every dream of. What a blessing. And you're clearly a great steward of the land and generations will benefit from the dedicating and hard work.

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind."
                              Thanks for your kind words. We really enjoy doing things to help improve the property whether that's doing food plots, reducing deer numbers, supplemental feeding, spreading native forbs/browse, etc. I really hope that the food plots get some rain and do better than last year.

Comment

Update_10-1-2017

My brothers and I bow hunted this past weekend and I was able to shoot a cull buck. The first morning was pretty active, but the next two hunts (PM & AM) was very slow. There are acorns everywhere out there and it's still very green. We ended up getting 1.5in of rain out there so our 3.5 acre plot is starting to pop up nicely. Here are some pictures of the weekend

Cull buck:

Name:	IMG_6625 (Large).jpg
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	24513571

Name:	DSCN3832 (Large).jpg
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	24513572

Name:	DSCN3833 (Large).jpg
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	24513573

Name:	09170092 (Large).jpg
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	24513574

Name:	09180189 (Large).jpg
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	24513575

Name:	09250518 (Large).jpg
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	24513576

Name:	09260578 (Large).jpg
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	24513577

Name:	MFDC5014 (Large).jpg
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	24513578

Name:	MFDC5741 (Large).jpg
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	24513579

Name:	MFDC6164 (Large).jpg
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	24513580

Lot's of night time pictures!
                                Last edited by bgleaton; 10-02-2017, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X