Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New feed pen - how long before the deer hop in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I built mine about 5 years ago, it took about 30 minutes after I left for doe to show up. Bucks showed up a few days later.

Comment

Are you still using pee gravel????

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
        Depends how stinky your pig wallow is under your feeder.
        The rain we have had recently coincided with the pigs showing up. As a result it looks like a maniac with an excavator did some work under the feeder. The hole probably doesn’t bother the deer but it bugs me a lot. I hate having that kiddee pool under the barrel after it rains.

Comment

In goliad I had one in it the same day
          How tall is your pen?

Comment

I would start spreading some hand corn 50-75 yards away if I was you

Comment

Built a 34" high, 10 panel pen. I'm going on two weeks with mine in ETX. Game cam shows no deer in pen and corn under the feeder. I wasn't sure if these old rooters would tear it up. Seems to be working on keeping them out though. Plus gut shooting one every now and then helps, I think.

Comment

Funniest thing I've ever seen was a big ol dominant buck jump into a 52" tall feed pen.Caught his back hoof,and did a complete flip landing on his back!lol
                He jumped up like somebody tripped him,and went into the embarassed mode😂
                I cut it down to 36" the next day.Around me they'll hop a short pen in a second.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                  The rain we have had recently coincided with the pigs showing up. As a result it looks like a maniac with an excavator did some work under the feeder. The hole probably doesn’t bother the deer but it bugs me a lot. I hate having that kiddee pool under the barrel after it rains.
                  My memory is you hunt west? They will be on it back to normal within a few days. I suspect they will avoid more for the activity than the pen. I would make sure if using cattle panels he cuts the panel down two rungs where you want them to enter in a few spots. As mentioned above have him lay out a bag of corn inside and out.
                  In regards to the “swamp” below we have the same problem on the pig feeders outside of the pen. Hell it has almost become a challenge to fill them. My plan is to start putting bags of sac-Crete in them whole and fill them. Not sure if it will work but that’s my plan.

Comment

Placing two cattle panels flat on the ground side by side will stop the digging/pig wallow .
                    Wire them together and hold in place by putting the feeder legs thru the panel.

Comment

Originally posted by myway View Post
                      My memory is you hunt west? They will be on it back to normal within a few days. I suspect they will avoid more for the activity than the pen. I would make sure if using cattle panels he cuts the panel down two rungs where you want them to enter in a few spots. .
                      Yes, we are in Shackleford County around Moran. Fortunately we already have 12 of the 34” panels we moved from our previous lease but haven’t used. That will make a round pen about 60’ in diameter. There are no cows and until recently very few pigs so a pen has not been needed. I hope they get used to it quickly

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                        Yes, we are in Shackleford County around Moran. Fortunately we already have 12 of the 34” panels we moved from our previous lease but haven’t used. That will make a round pen about 60’ in diameter. There are no cows and until recently very few pigs so a pen has not been needed. I hope they get used to it quickly

At that height and size I think you'll be fine out that way....

Comment

Agreed ..at that size and height nothing to worry about.

Comment

Had new pen at new spot. Deer in that pen and hour later

Comment

Anytime.

Comment

I’ve had deer inside new pins the same day I put them up several times.

Comment

Working...
                                X