Itch for a new bow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Itch for a new bow

Been a decade since I shopped bows. Seems like a lot has changed. Been shooting a Mission Voyager for a decade now, and it needs new string and cable. Well... kinda got the bug for a new bow. I'm sure you folks here understand.

Hoyt, Mathews, Bowtech, used to be referred to as the big 3. My dad was a PSE-guy for ages, but he jumped to Mission too.

Seems that things have changed in the bow world, and there's more major players.

Not really in a place where I can drive and go shoot them all. So and am open to suggestions to narrow my choices. My priorities, in order:

Smoothness
    Quiet
    Forgiving/Accurate

Speed is a "nice to have", in my book.

In the past, long ATA, and long brace height were the keys to that. Seems odd, but most all the bows I see are at most 7" brace heights, and with really deep reflex designs. What should I be looking for in the new breed of bows to scratch the itch?

Or should I just restring the old voyager?

I’d go with a new bow personally. As of the big three they’re pretty much all good now, pricing is the issue.

Comment

If you are going to go 10 years again, I would go brand new. As far as what bow to get, that is like asking GM, Ford or Dodge. Everyone will have an opinion, and in reality you won't know what you like until you shoot them all.

Unless you are physically incapable of going and shooting the bows, if I were you would would drive down to Texas Archery in Spring, about 10 minutes off 59 just inside the Grand Parkway. Their shop is awesome, the tech's are VERY good, and very patient. This time of year they will have all the time in the world to walk through all the new bows.

Call ahead and let them know you are coming and they will have them set up for you. And with all the new bows coming out now, you might get yourself a deal on last year's model.

Comment

Yea right there with ya was 8” for ever finally had to get a 7.5 brace height now don’t think I want to buy a bow that cost as much or even more than a high powered hunting rifle, not sure how or why their pricing me out, sad but true.
        My last one was used off archerytalk since I knew my measurements I went with Elite Archery
        Solid back wall, and about 75% let off, 7” brace, hold forever it seems good balance in hand
        Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Toyota, Nissan good luck
        Last edited by whitetailfanatic; 01-19-2021, 07:14 AM.

Comment

I have a PSE NTN, Hoyt RX-4 & RX-1. Love them each for different reasons. PSE (like all the other brands) is making some great stuff and I would really love to get my hands on the Mach 1...it feels like a feather. The Hoyts seem to be bomb proof.

Go to your nearest TRUSTED bow shop, shoot all the brands and then buy the one YOU like most from the shop. Whatever your choice, you will be correct. Every manufacturer is making high quality bows and you will not go wrong whatever brand you choose.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Horns View Post
            pricing is the issue.
            Originally posted by whitetailfanatic View Post
            ... don’t think I want to buy a bow that cost as much or even more than a high powered hunting rifle, not sure how or why their pricing me out, sad but true....
            Yeah I hear ya. Looking at the bare bow prices for some of these is gasp inducing. Seems like everything is getting just so much more expensive than it used to be. Makes me feel like an old man. "BACK IN MY DAY...."

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
            ... I were you would would drive down to Texas Archery in Spring, about 10 minutes off 59 just inside the Grand Parkway. Their shop is awesome, the tech's are VERY good, and very patient. This time of year they will have all the time in the world to walk through all the new bows.

Call ahead and let them know you are coming and they will have them set up for you. And with all the new bows coming out now, you might get yourself a deal on last year's model.
            Aint that what used to be called the bow zone? On Treashwig? That's where I got my mission from, and they did great.

Comment

I shot the bowtech solution and solution SS, Mathews V3, and hoyts RX5 ventum 33 and ventum 30 today at Alvarado archery. The V3 was quiet and dead in hand and very smooth but a little bump as it dropped into valley, the solution Was nice but nothing stood out as phenomenal to me, the SS though has an awesome draw cycle and feels great at anchor. IMO though the ventrum stood out. It was smoothest drawing, dead silent, nearly 0 vibration, and a natural pointer. I’m a Mathews fanboy and was shocked at how much I liked the Hoyt. Guess who put a Hoyt on lay away today?

Comment

I love my Mathews VXR. You can’t go wrong with it. Plus they are a little cheaper now that the V3 just came out.

Comment

I have an older Halon 6 and I love it. Mary bought me a V3 27" for Christmas and I love it now even more. Fast. Quiet. Dead in the hand, and consistent. I love the short axle to axle too. Mary shoots a new Prima and she switched from a Chill X. She loves it too.

The newer bows with their beyond parallel limbs are quick, silent, and just plain fun to shoot.

Comment

I shot some of the new Bowtechs last night. Here's what I thought about them, for what it's worth....

Comment

i just got a new obsession sniper SS
                      It shoots fast quiet and has 90% cams and only weighs 3.9#

I can hold at full draw forever, feels like I have to push it to let it down.

Comment

I went from a 05 Bowtech that I bought new to finally upgrading this year.Not that there was any problem with my old bow but with all the new tech on the new ones I figured I’d try it out.A lot has changed in 16 years especially prices 😂I read and watched a lot of reviews and pretty much all the big 3-5 companies have a flagship bow that is pretty close to the others.I went with the Prime Nexus 4.I can’t say how much I like it for hunting yet but it’s definitely an improvement over what I had.I figured I’d buy a bow like I buy an outboard these days,they all make good ones it just depends on the local shop and their customer service.I went to Gulfcoast Archery in Webster to get mine.I like the people that run it and the flagship Prime was cheaper that the other top bows.

Comment

I’ve shot Hoyt Bows most of my hunting and competition. In my opinion you can’t be especially today’s bows the Hoyt Defiant, is a all some shooter and this is a good deal. If it was a #3 cam I would be buying it. Good luck on your search.

Comment

Originally posted by Davoh View Post
                            Yeah I hear ya. Looking at the bare bow prices for some of these is gasp inducing. Seems like everything is getting just so much more expensive than it used to be. Makes me feel like an old man. "BACK IN MY DAY...."

Aint that what used to be called the bow zone? On Treashwig? That's where I got my mission from, and they did great.
                            Yep. I was in there last in October for arrows, still the same great staff, and an awesome 3D range.

Comment

It’s hard to get away from the Mathews for me. I shot the bowtech solution and as along with the nexus, still ended up liking my VXR better

Comment

Working...
                              X