Anyone on a Ketogenic Diet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crawdaddct View Post
    I was all excited my wife's doctor told her to get on the diet. I've been doing it alone for eight months. Finally, we could be on the same page. She didn't last a week, so I still have to do my own cooking. Last night I made a loaf of cheddar cheese and broccoli bread. Good stuff.
    Mine cooks the diet for me whether she's doing it or not. If we have chicken, she might add some butter to the grill or put goat cheese in mine while her's stays lean. Then she does squash, cauliflower or green veggies for sides so it can really fit keto or whatever she's on. Heck, if not for my wife I'd still be living on beer and Cheetos.

Comment

1/2 pound bacon swiss burger with Portabella mushrooms for buns and a slice of baked eggplant. Placed some sliced pickled jalapeno and garlic on eggplant, covered with slice of cheese and baked.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
        Mine cooks the diet for me whether she's doing it or not. If we have chicken, she might add some butter to the grill or put goat cheese in mine while her's stays lean. Then she does squash, cauliflower or green veggies for sides so it can really fit keto or whatever she's on. Heck, if not for my wife I'd still be living on beer and Cheetos.
        The problem I have is my wife doesn't eat most veggies. Its either corn or green beans, that's it. So I can eat green beans every night, or make my own food. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
          1/2 pound bacon swiss burger with Portabella mushrooms for buns and a slice of baked eggplant. Placed some sliced pickled jalapeno and garlic on eggplant, covered with slice of cheese and baked.
          That sounds good, I'm so dang hungry. The other night I made a peanut butter muffin in a cup.

3 TB Peanut butter (no sugar added kind)
          1 egg
          1 TSP baking power
          Stevia to taste

Mix together in a coffee cup and microwave for 1 min.

When it comes out, butter on top. Dang that was good.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            I'm going to continue Keto through the end of this month (I plan to break it at Michaela's engagement party on the 28th!) at which time I will check blood work against my results from last October. I can't decide if I want to continue Keto after that or just transition to a clean eating "maintenance" diet.
            I had blood work done last Friday and then had a "reward" weekend to break Ketosis.

Today I got a call from my doctor's office. Since my last visit in November, I lost 22 lbs, my BP was 112/77 and all my blood work looked good...except for cholesterol, which was 329, total. Historically, I have high-ish cholesterol, although my LDL:HDL ratio is pretty good. My November numbers were as follows:

HDL - 73
            LDL - 150
            Total -247

My PA was ok with those numbers, as my risk factor was 3.38, and she said she likes to see it below 5.

After Friday's test, my numbers were:

HDL - 82
            LDL -220

The PA wants to put me on Statin, but I opted not to.

After some research today, I'm coming to the conclusion that cholesterol, and even LDL, isn't necessarily "bad." My ratio is still good, with a risk factor of 4.01.

I'm not sure when I'll resume Keto, but I won't let the current cholesterol numbers be a deterrent.
            My Flickr Photos

Comment

My Wife started the keto diet about 7-8 months ago after going through some health issues and gaining 50 lbs. She was taking really high doses of steroids. She has lost 60 lbs so far. I started it 4 months ago and am down 46 lbs. Her numbers are great. I have an appointment in a couple weeks so I will see how my numbers are running. I can say this is the easiest diet to stay on that I have tried. I have been walking a few miles every day and working out at the gym 4-5 days a week.

Comment

I'm doing it about half way.not counting the fats, (I can't wrap my head around high fat not clogging arteries)I'm just keeping carbs and sugars as low as I can. Buddy got me on it right before Easter. Been weighing every Monday, talking to him and reading ideas here as well.
                4 full weeks and I'm 14lbs down. Today i weighed for week 5 and only lost 1lb this week but it's still moving. I like it. It's easy other than this weekend. Group went fishing with chips, dips, beer etc all weekend I cheated but enjoyed it.
                Last edited by SCREAMINREELS; 04-30-2018, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Had a rash pop up on the back of my left elbow last Sat. Then my right on Sun. I knew it wasn’t poison ivy since I hadn’t been in the woods or anywhere around it. Then it showed up on my left bicep, around the edge of both armpits, and my inner right thigh. Went to the dermatologist on Tue, and she said I came into contact with something. No way to determine what it was, but She prescribed a steroid cream. Steroid cream was working great and then tonight I noticed it had popped up on the backs of both knees. W T H?? I asked my wife if she changed detergents. “No”. Then she asked me if I thought it could be related to keto. So I googled it and sure enough there is a rash associated with being in ketosis for extended periods of time. No one knows exactly what causes it, but there is a definite correlation. Could be a mineral deficiency. Could be related to fasting too often. Could be almond overdose. Or any number of things.

So if you get a rash, it might be the ketosis. Crazy!! Guess I’ll be taking a break from the diet for a while. Dang the luck!

The keto rash doesn’t happen to everyone on keto. However, it feels uncomfortable and may be triggered by certain factors. Learn how to manage this condition in this guide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SKLOSS View Post
                    Had a rash pop up on the back of my left elbow last Sat. Then my right on Sun. I knew it wasn’t poison ivy since I hadn’t been in the woods or anywhere around it. Then it showed up on my left bicep, around the edge of both armpits, and my inner right thigh. Went to the dermatologist on Tue, and she said I came into contact with something. No way to determine what it was, but She prescribed a steroid cream. Steroid cream was working great and then tonight I noticed it had popped up on the backs of both knees. W T H?? I asked my wife if she changed detergents. “No”. Then she asked me if I thought it could be related to keto. So I googled it and sure enough there is a rash associated with being in ketosis for extended periods of time. No one knows exactly what causes it, but there is a definite correlation. Could be a mineral deficiency. Could be related to fasting too often. Could be almond overdose. Or any number of things.

So if you get a rash, it might be the ketosis. Crazy!! Guess I’ll be taking a break from the diet for a while. Dang the luck!

The keto rash doesn’t happen to everyone on keto. However, it feels uncomfortable and may be triggered by certain factors. Learn how to manage this condition in this guide.

Wow! Thanks for the 411.

I stopped Keto last weekend and then got a call from my dr's office about my high cholesterol and wanting to put me on statins. I initially decided to stay off Keto for awhile to see if it self regulated. Then I started researching high cholesterol and am both fascinated and alarmed at what newer studies have revealed about the relationship (or lack of) between cholesterol and heart disease, and yet statin drugs remain the #1 prescribed rx in the US.

If you have cholesterol issues you may find this compelling.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      Wow! Thanks for the 411.

I stopped Keto last weekend and then got a call from my dr's office about my high cholesterol and wanting to put me on statins. I initially decided to stay off Keto for awhile to see if it self regulated. Then I started researching high cholesterol and am both fascinated and alarmed at what newer studies have revealed about the relationship (or lack of) between cholesterol and heart disease, and yet statin drugs remain the #1 prescribed rx in the US.

If you have cholesterol issues you may find this compelling.

I believe that's the guy my Dad has followed religiously lately. As much research as Pop has done, he's been poopooing the high cholesterol stuff for over a decade. I, for one, do not believe it's the culprit in heart disease.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                        I believe that's the guy my Dad has followed religiously lately. As much research as Pop has done, he's been poopooing the high cholesterol stuff for over a decade. I, for one, do not believe it's the culprit in heart disease.
                        I don't remember details but was reading about some study that persons with the proper high cholesterol are way less likely to have Alzheimer's, the brain and nervous system are loaded with fats and cholesterol and require them for proper function.

Comment

It also takes your body a while to 100%, not just fat adapt, to keto. The importance of cholesterol in your diet and body is more than what the medical community wants to admit. Any knew way of thinking is always met with resistance because well, their is a pill for that and everything for a pill. Not all cholesterol is bad.

Comment

Taking a break for 2-3 weeks and transitioning to clean eating. Been stalled for a while now and with the hot weather I just can’t seem to stay hydrated. Been craving fruit and plan to enjoy some summer cantaloupe and watermelon.
                            Ran my PB 5k this morning and it sure is easier with carbs in the body[emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                              Taking a break for 2-3 weeks and transitioning to clean eating. Been stalled for a while now and with the hot weather I just can’t seem to stay hydrated. Been craving fruit and plan to enjoy some summer cantaloupe and watermelon.
                              Ran my PB 5k this morning and it sure is easier with carbs in the body[emoji23]

I am going to start just a clean eating diet tomorrow. Lean meats health fats and some good carbs thrown in. I didn’t like the way I felt on Keto. I have to do something to get back into shape tho.

Comment

Building muscle in ketosis

Anyone out there trying or have tried building muscle in ketosis or just loosing fat. I tried it in the past and maintained my muscle mass but could not build. I'm going to try 75% fat 20 % protein 5% carb but my protein intake is going to be at least 130gr or 520 calories which is .7 gram of protein per lb of body weight.

Comment

Working...
                                X