No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water finally started down yesterday dropping a couple inches. My best guess is that about 1300-1500 acres flooded of our collective 2500 acres. Fortunately I have over 40 acres of clover on high ground so deer shouldn't be stressed too much.Highest flood in history.

I was in North La. earlier this week and flooding still extensive up there. All that water still has to make it's way down. Flood could be with us a while.

Comment

Dang Rusty. Sorry to hear. I hope the deer transition ok to the smaller area. The pecking order process is going to be a roller coaster for some of those deer.

Mother Nature is so irrational sometimes.

Comment

Just read through your recent post. It's been a week, are things getting some what better? I sure hope so. Prayers for ya.

Comment

Happy to have this guy back and on the wall.

The water has receded and is off all the roads and fields, at last! Thanks so much for all the kind comments and concerns.

I had a beautiful 16 acre field planted in rye, crimson, wheat, radishes, turnips,and rape that went 10-15 ft under water. It is dry now though rain probabilities are high this week. The minute it is dry enough to plant we are drilling.

The plan is 50 lbs cow peas, 25 lbs soybeans, 10 lbs sunn hemp, and 6 lbs sunflowers per acre. Will be interesting to see how this field performs since all the 'thatch' is just a weird looking melted film. I'll plant the other fields that didn't flood in May and can compare.

Excited to get the tractor working again.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
            Happy to have this guy back and on the wall.

The water has receded and is off all the roads and fields, at last! Thanks so much for all the kind comments and concerns.

I had a beautiful 16 acre field planted in rye, crimson, wheat, radishes, turnips,and rape that went 10-15 ft under water. It is dry now though rain probabilities are high this week. The minute it is dry enough to plant we are drilling.

The plan is 50 lbs cow peas, 25 lbs soybeans, 10 lbs sunn hemp, and 6 lbs sunflowers per acre. Will be interesting to see how this field performs since all the 'thatch' is just a weird looking melted film. I'll plant the other fields that didn't flood in May and can compare.

Excited to get the tractor working again.

That is a great looking deer and mount!

I hope you can get some tractor time soon and look forward to reading in more progress on your farm.

Comment

Deer turned out great and look forward to yall's spring/summer progress

Comment

Happy to hear things are drying up for u. I got in 8 hrs of tractor time just before this new rain. I love what tractor time does for the wildlife, but that dam tractor of mine will beat me to death, and I walk a little stiffer and feel like I have been beat up after a full day on the tractor And your deer mount looks really good

Comment

Wow!

Comment

Time to plant. It's a bit earlier than expected but nature offered a different plan. This was one of the flooded fields. Picture it in shoulder high rye with a thick understory of crimson and brassicas. This is whats left after the flood. Will be interesting to see how it performs.
                    Attached Files

Comment

My GAWD what a mount that deer made. Amazing beams.

Comment

Stud of a deer! Mount looks perfect. Good luck with your plots.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                          Time to plant. It's a bit earlier than expected but nature offered a different plan. This was one of the flooded fields. Picture it in shoulder high rye with a thick understory of crimson and brassicas. This is whats left after the flood. Will be interesting to see how it performs.
                          Glad things have dried out for you. You still have some pretty decent thatch in that field considering it was flooded. Will be following along your progress!

Comment

Few things are prettier than a big field full of waist high crimson. Especially when my 3 yr old grandson is lighting it up.

This field will get planted as soon as the crimson goes to seed.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Just joining in and interested in the thread. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Your work seems to be paying off. Those are some nice bucks.

Comment

Working...
                                X