Trad ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trad ?

I am going to have some new strings made for the upcoming season. Can i have some opinions on what to decide between yarn puffs, or rubber cat whiskers? This will be for my Sarrel's Teton longbow and will be hunting in northern NM for Mule deer in September. So weather conditions could be unpredictable. Thanks for the help.

I really the ones on my Widow. Bow Hush.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Get beggars lice and other burrs in your puffs a few times and you will use cat whiskers. Get water sprayed in your eyes when you shoot in wet weather and you'll use cat whiskers. They work great and don't do these things.

Comment

My favorite is otter fur. Beaver is just as good but otter has those intermittent sprigs of a thicker and longer hair that looks great. I get it from 3 rivers. Both of those get wet but if take your shirt tail and wrap around it wipe back and forth it dries and puffs back quick.

Comment

Cat whiskers! No burs, no water, and I personally think they are quieter.

Comment

Beaver balls for me on my longbows. Don't get no quitter than a selfbow with the beaver balls. Arvin

Comment

I use the yarn puffs that I make myself, but I don't hunt anywhere where I tend to get into a lot of burrs. I think either is fine, and like most stuff in trad archery, it is personal preference that is the final determination of what a guy chooses.

Bisch

Comment

Personal preference. I like yarn too. Mostly because of cost.

Comment

Try them both out before you go and decide for yourself. Installing string silencers is so darn easy. Yarn puffs are so easy to make and install too. It is perfectly fine to have a string maker put the silencers on while they make your string... but it is totally not required that it be done them. I tried a few silencers before I settled on the one I use on my hunting bow.

Comment

Thank you for all the responses! It has been very helpful.

Comment

I've shot both and have settled on the cat whiskers. I have four on my most recently purchased string and it really does make the bow whisper quiet.

Richard.

Comment

Beaver all the way. If wet you can pluck the string to clear water.

Comment

If you want to use cat whiskers check out this tutorial:
                          Are your bowstring cat whiskers bulky, drooping, sliding around, or you're just not happy with the way they look and perform? Give this little tutorial a tr...

I came across this video and have tied them this way ever since - works great. Basically you are installing two sets of small (1 1/4") bundles instead of one set of long sloppy ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Pigthumper View Post
                            My favorite is otter fur. Beaver is just as good but otter has those intermittent sprigs of a thicker and longer hair that looks great. I get it from 3 rivers. Both of those get wet but if take your shirt tail and wrap around it wipe back and forth it dries and puffs back quick.
                            This ^^^ is what I use as well.

Comment

I have both but have never bought the whiskers. They both work but I just don't buy things that I can make myself. A hank of wool yarn that cost $4.00 will be enough material for dozens of puffs. I make them up six or eight at a time. If they get too frayed or dirty I just slip another one in. I can't say that I have ever hunted with a bow in the rain so that is not a problem for me. Heck, I won't even hunt in the rain with a rifle anymore since I hunt at home.

Comment

Working...
                              X