Backyard putting green DIY - real grass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backyard putting green DIY - real grass

I have always wanted to put in a real grass putting green. All the research I have ever done says that you have dig out your yard and start laying a foot of gravel and a foot of sand so it will drain well. That's way too much work for me. I have good drainage already so digging out my yard was overkill to me.

I have a bermuda grass yard (Celebration Bermuda) so I figured I could experiment with just top dressing sand to level it out. I have a couple of different spots to try that have good drainage.

First order of business was ordering a greens mower. Found a deal on ebay on a manual McLane 10 blade reel mower. This mower cuts down to 3/16". The first cutting was to 3/4". The next cutting a few days later was a half inch tall.

I started hauling sand in two spots....

Back yard....

Side yard....

Sweeping it level really gets the sand down to the dirt....

Then I rolled it to smooth out.....

Watered in....

looking good so far, be interested to see it in a few weeks

Comment

How long do you think it will be before the grass grows through the sand?

Comment

The side yard green is smaller and balls roll pretty darn smooth...even with the taller half inch cut.

The back yard green is much bigger and I've been spending more time trying to smooth it out. I think in another week to ten days it will be looking better when the grass fills in.

I have a hole cutter and 3 practice cups/flags on order. I'll update when its filled in better.

Comment

Originally posted by philcam View Post
          How long do you think it will be before the grass grows through the sand?
          It doesn't take long....a few days and it will look mostly green. I have actually top-dressed with sand twice already.

To fill in completely and look like a golf course green....probably 10-14 days I would guess. The celebration bermuda grows amazingly fast.

Comment

Cool project!

Comment

Watching

Comment

Its amazing how it grows overnight.....

I plan on putting a sand bunker in the back yard green too....actually gonna put it in the exact place where I had a sand box for my kids when they were little.

Comment

that's cool and that you've already rolled a few balls, instant gratification!

Comment

You definitely don't have dogs. LOL. My two GSP's would make short order of that green area. ORRRRRRR, I could send them your way to make a few fairway pot bunkers!!!

Comment

I actually have a golden but he doesn't dig. Celebration has more than kept up with his foot traffic. He has used the same trails everyday for 8 years but you can't really tell where they are.

I plan on putting up a temporary iron fence when its done so he won't drop a duece in the cup!

Comment

so its called celebration Bermuda? where might I find this? no deuces in cups, that's for sure!! lol

Comment

looks good so far

Comment

Following the progress

Comment

Originally posted by birddoggin View Post
                              so its called celebration Bermuda? where might I find this? no deuces in cups, that's for sure!! lol
                              Yep its a variety of bermuda that is being used to retrofit old turf on golf course throughout the south. Tiger stadium at LSU has it on their field.

I got mine from Murff's Turf in Crosby back in 2007. Its available in pallets or rolls. Alot of turf/grass companies carry it now in Texas.

Comment

Working...
                              X