6.2L Chevy OR 5.7 Tundra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by huntr1117 View Post
    I have a 17 6.2 ltz z71 crew cab with the standard size 6.5 ft bed. I had to order it because apparently that combo is rare. 14k miles on it and I love it. I was getting around 22 mpg on the hwy and 18 around town before I leveled it and added bigger tires. Now its around 19 hwy 15 city. Not sure how much weight is on the trailer when I tow it loaded down I'm getting around 11-13 mpg. I'll be honest with you the 8 speed trans has had issues like hunting for gears in traffic and hard downshift but the latest software update has seemed to clear those up. If you get a 6.2 in z71 trim you can only get a 3.23 rear. If you get a 6.2 max trailering package you can get it with 3.42s. I tried to combine the 2 when I ordered and Chevy wouldn't allow it for some reason. You also have to run premium 93 or 91 octane in the 6.2. I run 93 in town at the lease the highest octane in the area is 91. I loose about 2 mpg when I run the 91.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    I've subscribed to this thread because these 2 trucks are at the top of my wish list. However, if the 6.2L requires premium gas, I may have to reconsider.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
      I've subscribed to this thread because these 2 trucks are at the top of my wish list. However, if the 6.2L requires premium gas, I may have to reconsider.

Agree...this is news to me.

I am also finding that dealers are very very proud of the 6.2...

Great info, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by TxAgHntr View Post
        Agree...this is news to me.

I am also finding that dealers are very very proud of the 6.2...

Great info, thanks!
        You can only get the 6.2 in the higher trim models. If you aren't looking for a decked out truck, you wont be getting the 6.2.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
          You can only get the 6.2 in the higher trim models. If you aren't looking for a decked out truck, you wont be getting the 6.2.

Right, kinda stinks...I do not need all the bells and whistles...

Comment

I've got buddies with both and have spent some time riding in both and I'd go with the Tundra. Better looking IMO, more roomy with more power. I never payed attention to the fuel mileage because I wasn't having to buy it!

Oh, and it's not a dang bow tie. I'll go get in my Ford now.

Comment

1,000,000 mile Tundra.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                I noticed this as well just playing around to see how much a 6.2 would be. Dang near could get into a diesel with the truck price and added costs of the premium fuel.

Comment

One thing about the 6.2 is that its an AFM motor. I will never own another one.

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
                    I've got buddies with both and have spent some time riding in both and I'd go with the Tundra. Better looking IMO, more roomy with more power. I never payed attention to the fuel mileage because I wasn't having to buy it!

Oh, and it's not a dang bow tie. I'll go get in my Ford now.
                    Negative.

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
                      Not even in better weather with cheap gas.. The 6.2L has more power hands down.

Comment

I've got a '15 LTZ with a 6.2. It averages around 18 mpg, but does drop to about 14 pulling a trailer with a load. Can't tell on performance, but mpg does drop.

Comment

Originally posted by huntr1117 View Post
                          I have a 17 6.2 ltz z71 crew cab with the standard size 6.5 ft bed. I had to order it because apparently that combo is rare. 14k miles on it and I love it. I was getting around 22 mpg on the hwy and 18 around town before I leveled it and added bigger tires. Now its around 19 hwy 15 city. Not sure how much weight is on the trailer when I tow it loaded down I'm getting around 11-13 mpg. I'll be honest with you the 8 speed trans has had issues like hunting for gears in traffic and hard downshift but the latest software update has seemed to clear those up. If you get a 6.2 in z71 trim you can only get a 3.23 rear. If you get a 6.2 max trailering package you can get it with 3.42s. I tried to combine the 2 when I ordered and Chevy wouldn't allow it for some reason. You also have to run premium 93 or 91 octane in the 6.2. I run 93 in town at the lease the highest octane in the area is 91. I loose about 2 mpg when I run the 91.

The 6.2l is designed to run on regular or E85. You will get some knock retard depending on the ambient temp and load but that is what knock sensors are for.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/l86/ Check out 'specs'.

Comment

This test is from 15 but the numbers are still very similar on these trucks. You Tundra guys claiming 'more power' check out where it lands in the unloaded and loaded test. That is with the Chevy launching in 4wd to avoid wheel-spin on a prepped dragstrip.

Comment

I have 40k on a 6.2 that has never had anything but regular unleaded. Runs and pulls great.

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
                                The 6.2l is designed to run on regular or E85. You will get some knock retard depending on the ambient temp and load but that is what knock sensors are for.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/l86/ Check out 'specs'.
                                I guess I need to change my post to recommended premium then. I'm sure it will run on reg, but even dropping to 91 the truck gets worse mpgs.

Comment

Working...
                                X