Your 2017 Trad Goals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DRT View Post
    1) I'd like to get some animals in the bed of my truck or basket of my cart with a traditional bow or two.

2) I'd like to extend my confident shooting range to double what it is now. Currently that's 15 yards.

3) I'd like to increase my draw weight capability to 50lbs at my draw length.

4) I'd like to purchase a 50lbs at my draw length BW PSR and shoot it well.

5) Last but not least I would like to link up with some local traditional shooters, get back into a local club and learn how bad I am at this new obsession.

Gary
    1. No dead critters yet but with work on the ranch hunting time has been nil this year. Although I have scared a couple rabbits.

2. 25 yards is getting reasonable but I still have the unexplained flyer here and there when my form breaks down.

3. I've reached my goal draw weight.

4. The PSA will have to do. Hemorrhaging money on the ranch is more important than the bow right now. Maybe next summer.

5. Never got to the club thing but I did enjoy the weekend at Big Oak. Learned a little and realized I was making progress.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

1. Finish the extra-large box blind so I can kill a whitetail with my longbow!

2. Finish the bow build that I started this last spring!

3. Make, hunt and kill some pigs with primitive arrows ( Flint heads attached)

4. Get in better shape for hunting in the Mts. of Colorado.

5. Go to more 3d trad shoots!

Comment

Mine are coming along pretty good. I don't wanna jinx myself but my shooting has been really good the last week or so, after going through a short slump for a couple weeks before that. I've got some good setups ready and don't have one single solitary camera out. I'll just be surprised when I see what's eating my corn. Hopefully pleasantly surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by CRM_95 View Post
          I'll just be surprised when I see what's eating my corn. Hopefully pleasantly surprised.
          If only you had put out a camera....

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
            1. Get back to shooting every day
            2. kill something with my longbow here in Texas
            Well, number 1 has happened! Give or take a day here and there, I'm shooting regularly and I'm comfortable at 12-15 yards already, with 20 looking more doable by the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
              1. Take a Black Bear in Maine.

2. Have another great TBH Trad Hog Hunt with my Texas friends.

Other than that I'll just roll with whatever opportunities arise.

I really want for my wife and I to get back to South Texas to chase Javis, but I don't see that happening in 2017.
              We had another great TBH Trad hog hunt in April. I leave for my Maine Bear hunt in 11 days, and I have a pig/javi hunt booked in south Texas in February for me and the wife and some buddies from NC.

Comment

I haven't taken anything but a jack rabbit in over 25 years with traditional archery, about time I change that Looking for a nice doe or buck this year

Comment

My shooting is the best it's ever been, took some more Joel Turner online classes and I've really found a good pedigree to work with, my endurance fitness is exceptional, I cut down on the beer and haven't had fast food in 7 months which helped me take my fitness to another level, plus my wife is pregnant with our first so life is great. Taking any deer at this point would be a bonus.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ghostgoblin22 View Post
                    My shooting is the best it's ever been, took some more Joel Turner online classes and I've really found a good pedigree to work with, my endurance fitness is exceptional, I cut down on the beer and haven't had fast food in 7 months which helped me take my fitness to another level, plus my wife is pregnant with our first so life is great. Taking any deer at this point would be a bonus.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
                    Awesome!! Congrats on all of it, but most of all the kiddo!!

Comment

Originally posted by CRM_95 View Post
                      Awesome!! Congrats on all of it, but most of all the kiddo!!

Thanks really excited about being a dad for sure, stuck with one weapon all offseason without the typical buying and changing my weapons like a usually do which throws things off a tad. I believe this season will be a great year for east Texas deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well... as we come to a close for 2017... how'd everybody do? Out of the 3 main goals I had:

1) I'd like to get a hog with my Widow. I've killed a hog with a trad bow, but it was with my Samick. I've killed all my other "list" animals with my Widow, so I'd like to finally get a hog down with it. I came close this past WT season.

2) I'd like to get back into better physical shape so that hunting an Elk or an Aoudad can be a better reality.

3) I'd like to be able to kill 2 deer in WT season.
                        I knocked the first 2 out of the park. I got 2 really nice hogs at the Trad hog hunt with my Widow... and I lost a lot of weight and am in pretty good shape compared to last year.

However, number #3 is a big fat black eye on my 2017 year. I've had sooooo many mishaps with the WT season. I had so many opportunities just go awry. I could have easily had 2 WTs in the cooler with my stick bow... but a high shot, limbs in the way, limb clearance, cows destroying blinds, etc... just fouled this season up in a major way.

There is always 2018... and I suppose I'll start a thread for that in a little over a week.

Comment

Number one would be to mentally control each shot at game and when shooting at tbot. I have a bad tendency to rush a shot under pressure and form goes out the window. Learning to shoot under pressure has been my biggest challenge!

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                            Stretch my range. I am very comfortable at 15 yards, mostly because 80% of my practice is at that distance or closer. There are days when I can stack them at 20 yards, but that comes and goes. I need to start shooting more arrows from 20+ so I know what that distance feels like and it becomes automatic.
                            This was my goal and I have made a lot of progress. Throughout the year I have shot about half my practice arrows from 20 yards or farther. I still don't think I would sling one at a deer from that distance but it should help considerably in the upcoming 3d season. It certainly has made the shorter shots seem easier...

Comment

Well, I have not met any goals for this year except to take a deer off of my own place. I have gotten 2 does off my new little ranch with my longbows. All in all, this season has been one of the worst experiences I have had since I started shooting trad bows over 20yrs ago!

So, when Scott starts the 2018 thread, I’m going to have some real goals for next year!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                                Well, I have not met any goals for this year except to take a deer off of my own place. I have gotten 2 does off my new little ranch with my longbows. All in all, this season has been one of the worst experiences I have had since I started shooting trad bows over 20yrs ago!

So, when Scott starts the 2018 thread, I’m going to have some real goals for next year!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                                Don't feel bad Bisch!! This hasn't been a great hunting season for me by any means lol. Maybe next season will be better!!

Comment

Working...
                                X