No announcement yet.

Unexpected college fee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not free because there is still a professor he will report into monthly or even weekly. I remember I had to report in weekly with a write up on what I had learned/accomplished in the prior week. Who I worked with (title and name) lot's of BS. Someone had to pay that professor's salary so yeah, there's an internship class and it's not free.

I don't agree with it by the way but still, at least it's explainable.

Comment

people that work at colleges gotta eat too!!

Comment

Also, he can give you log in access to the TAMU portal for parents and you can review all the charges and download any tax forms for 529 tax info. I log in and can all this. No its not using his log in, its mine but to his parent account. If this helps you understand all the fees etc.

Comment

That charge the Internship fee at LU also

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
            Just when I thought I saw it all !!!!!!!

My son took an internship at Northrop Grumman. It lasts from Jan until August. So he is taking the spring semester off.

So he (well I) had to pay nearly $650 so he could NOT take classes that one semester and stay enrolled in the aerospace program.

What a heck of a way to tell kids to get a job and save money for school. Start them off taking their first check or two.

I call BS10

Rant over.

*** over!

I've about had it with these colleges. Yea, the Leg goes in and does what it can to demand tuition stay reasonable, but they don't seem to do anything to keep the misc. BS fees in check.

I've had 2 raises in the last 10 years. Some folks don't get a raise at all.

When do we put these institutions in check?

Comment

I work for a DoD Contractor much like Northrop. Why not have him pay the $$$ since the internship is a well paid internship? Just wondering?

Comment

When I go on my COSC internship next semester I’ll still have to pay the regular tuition since I’ll still be a “full time” student at A&M despite not taking any classes other than the internship.
                I realize I’ll still have a professor giving me assignments but it still seems like a ripoff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ruttin&Struttin View Post
                  I work for a DoD Contractor much like Northrop. Why not have him pay the $$$ since the internship is a well paid internship? Just wondering?
                  It's the same if he pays or I pay. The money in his college fund will run out either way.

Comment

Yep, I have one in college now and another one starting this fall. That's why I work all of the time! It's a good cause though.

Comment

This reminds me of my daughter's summer internship when in A&M's May's Business School. I don't think there was a fee associated, but let me tell you what was associated.

A $2000/mo apartment (because my wife's baby wasn't staying in an unsecured dump alone.
                      Renting furniture (because it didn't make sense to move her twice in two months)
                      Utilities
                      Secured underground parking spot (because the city is dangerous)
                      Eating out every night (because "it's hard to cook for just one")
                      Parking ticket (because she's never lived in a city)

She made $12/hr, 40hr/wk, for 8 weeks....she was a business major.

Comment

Is he getting course credit for the internship? Even if he's only earning 1 hour, there will be a fee.

As far as Grand Passage's comment - you should be able to get waivers for those fees - bus, computer fee, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                          Is he getting course credit for the internship? Even if he's only earning 1 hour, there will be a fee.

As far as Grand Passage's comment - you should be able to get waivers for those fees - bus, computer fee, etc.
                          Technically yes, he gets one credit but for his major that one credit doesn't apply

Comment

Working...
                          X