Official 2012 bowfishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Official 2012 bowfishing thread

I got an idea (dangerous i know). Lets keep this thread alive and on topic. I know there are other web sites already made for this but i am rather fond of TBH so we need our own version. If done right a world of info can be posted here. We can each post our trips, photos, new locations (excluding personal "honey holes"), tips and what ever else is bowfishing related. Lord willing i plan to travel this year and see some new water. Just imagine the possibilities if we got somewhat organized. We could learn of new places, and places NOT to go AND maybe even swap out fishing trips.

This thread may never make it, but i thought it was worth a try!

I will be making my first trip out tonight and will have a report posted tomorrow sometime.

I'm for it, so I'll be around. Tried to get some pics of bowfishing rigs started but they could be posted here if anybody has some.

Comment

I'll be chimed in.
      Looking to buy my first "bow fishing" rig this year and get started.

Comment

Me love fish sticking

Comment

Just about time!!!

Might put the deck on tomorrow
          Attached Files

Comment

Well guys I just bought a 17' aluminum sea ark from dustoffer on here(super great guy) and another buddy mentioned he had two 400w HPS lights he might give to me and I have three bows getting ready for bowfishing. I'll try and post some pics later.

Comment

Can we also post local bow fishing tournaments?
              We have one on the highland lakes next Saturday. e-mail me if interested.
              chuckstt@gvtc.com

A couple of us went to Amistad Wed. night. Fishing was good but water is WAY down. Got 22 Big Tilapia (7# ave) and quite a few big carp with a sprinkling of gar. Fish are still pretty deep. Water temp in in the upper 50's.

Comment

me and a buddy recently shot new coleto creek records for buffalo carp and longnose gar but it seems like the park rangers never sent our information in. That was in december and still haven't heard anything back. The website isn't updated with our fish either.

Comment

since I got a new z7, I want to convert my old bow into a bowfishing rig. I keep hearing that a hunting compound bow is too powerful for bowfishing and that I need to get a recurve. Do I really have to? I was just thinking about getting the arrows, and the retriever and a whisker biscuit...

Comment

Originally posted by ultralite09 View Post
                    since I got a new z7, I want to convert my old bow into a bowfishing rig. I keep hearing that a hunting compound bow is too powerful for bowfishing and that I need to get a recurve. Do I really have to? I was just thinking about getting the arrows, and the retriever and a whisker biscuit...
                    Anything over 40 pounds unless your shooting gator gar is to much IMO. I shoot 22-27 pounds on my Oneida's

Comment

Here are a few pics to check out.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ultralite09 View Post
                        You can use most any bow for bow fishing. There are 2 main problems with shooting a heavy bow.
                        1. You will shoot through almost every fish and "stringing" fish creates problems getting them off. The scales will also cut your line often (especially gar).
                        2. You will shoot a lot wile bow fishing and a heavy bow will wear you out if you pull it very much.

We often shoot over 100 times a night, and twice that in the spring spawn!

I also shoot 30 pounds (AMS Discovery) and never have a problem sticking even big fish!

Comment

Well, Biggs just dropped off two 400w HPS lights at my house! Too bad I'm at work! Can't hardly wait to get home in the moring and see them and start planning how I'm going to mount them to the boat! Let me see her I now have the boat, lights, and bows, now I need a genni, reels and a good night to go!

Comment

I shoot a PSE Beast and im not sure what it is set on, maybe 50... Either way I love the poundage and i never lose a fish while my friends lose fish all the time when they shoot them in the head or it is a long shot

Comment

Went Saturday to Fairfield and got 13 gar wading the flats. The spawn is about to bust open big time. Wading was tough with all the new growth from the lake being so low before it filled back up. All I use is a 30lb fiberglass bow with old aluminum arrows. No need for any reels. Most fish get pinned to the bottom or get dazed from the shot.

Comment

Working...
                              X