Need some advice..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texas8point View Post
    Depends on the relationship you have with your dad.
    I was blessed to have a wonderful dad who cherished his kids and grandkids.
    I would not have moved away unless I absolutely had to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
    Only you and your family can figure it out.

With that said, my wife and I have great relationships with both sets of our parents. We live in semi close proximity to both. Just my opinion, but I grew up with grandparents that lived short driving distances away and we got to spend a lot of time with them. I didn't realize it back then, but that time spent with them was valuable to my life.

I guess what I'm trying to say is your parents won't be around forever. Our parents are in the their late sixties. I couldn't image moving away from them right now just because we want a change of scenery. Sure, work and career situations are completely different. I get that.

Obviously, everyone's situations are different and not everyone has a good relationship with their parents as well. There's really no right or wrong answer.
    Man this is so true! Country life and seeing my grandparents and hunting/fishing were some of the best years of my life

And yes, ALOT of people don't have parents they get along with sadly.

Comment

Just have him watch Varsity Blues

Click image for larger version

Name:	87394C97-4450-4687-9E4E-A6D21DD5AF27.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	24559076

Comment

At the end of the day, you have to do what's best for your wife and kid...not your dad.

Comment

I agree just be honest about it. It will not be easy I am sure but if your family is not happy with Houston it will be the best decision for you. Ill be back out in AZ or NV in 6-7 years too. It is tough doing the outdoor things here when you must drive so far to get anywhere such as Big Bend.

Comment

Originally posted by Carpe_diem View Post
            Is it the kind of business your dad could sell and retire to AZ to be near his grandkids?
            His plan is/was to always give the business to my little brother and I. He could always sell it down the road and move near his grandkids. I know he enjoyed Az when he visited before (loved the quail hunting).

Comment

I'm just the opposite
              I moved here in 2006 to get away from AZ for the same reasons you want to go back. I've hunted and fished for years and had seen how AZ had went down hill the previous 25 years, getting drawn for a hunt gets harder and harder every year. Areas where I used to deer, javalina quail and dove hunt are all houses now.
              I lived in north Scottsdale and the schools were marginal at best.
              I did a ton of research before I moved to Texas and ended up in Boerne and I have no regrets.
              Their are a lot of places in Texas beside Houston.
              FYI I wouldn't live in Houston if they made me the Mayor

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                Man, that's a tough one. Personally, if my kids were gonna move across the country and take my grandkid out of my everyday life so they'd have better access to hiking, I'd be crushed. There are plenty of great places outside of Houston to raise a kid. I can assure you that AZ has it's own problems, because every place does. On the other hand, you gotta do what is best for you and your family.

If you "have a job" within the family business, that's one thing. If you are vital to the operations of the family business, then you need to make sure that any transition is smooth and planned out and doesn't put your Dad in a bind. If your Dad has planned his future based on the fact that you were the future of the business, then your decision could make him have to reevaluate his plans. Whatever the case, take him to lunch and talk to him about it sooner rather than later. Good luck.
                Originally posted by gingib View Post
                x2!

But family means everything to me. So I am staying in the country close to my parents and in laws.

Texan born and not leaving here
                I wouldn't say I am a "vital employee", he has always wanted to give the company to my brother and I (who still works here). I work in quality, the guy I "replaced" still works in and works in quality (smaller portion of it). I am going to give him a 6 month heads up, if I have to train someone thats not an issue.

I know Az has its own flaws (lived there for almost 3 years), no place is perfect

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

My only advice would be to handle it as soon as possible. I would not put off the situation thinking one time would be easier than another.

Comment

Originally posted by az2tx View Post
                      I'm just the opposite
                      I moved here in 2006 to get away from AZ for the same reasons you want to go back. I've hunted and fished for years and had seen how AZ had went down hill the previous 25 years, getting drawn for a hunt gets harder and harder every year. Areas where I used to deer, javalina quail and dove hunt are all houses now.
                      I lived in north Scottsdale and the schools were marginal at best.
                      I did a ton of research before I moved to Texas and ended up in Boerne and I have no regrets.
                      Their are a lot of places in Texas beside Houston.
                      FYI I wouldn't live in Houston if they made me the Mayor
                      Lol, we want to live in a town where we at least have some family. My mom lives in PA, her mom lives in Washington state ( i refuse to move to a place that I will be paying a carbon tax), and her dad lives in vegas. Her grandmother, cousins and uncles are all still in Scottsdale. One of my secret spots is between N Scottsdale and Cave Creek

Comment

I still hold it against my Brother for moving 3 hours up North to Oklahoma. Bas-tard

That's why I'm the best man in my other Brother's wedding and he isn't.

Comment

That's a tough decision. I've passed up on some great jobs because it would mean moving away from my family. I didn't grow up with any grandparents around and it's great being able to have my parents or in laws hang out with our daughter whenever they want. But you gotta do what is best for your family... getting out of Houston would be my first choice but even the areas around there aren't bad

Comment

Need some advice..

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                            I still hold it against my Brother for moving 3 hours up North to Oklahoma. Bas-tard

That's why I'm the best man in my other Brother's wedding and he isn't.

My second daughter moved to Austin, just 2.5 hours away, but her three sisters are ****** off!!!!! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Every big city has it’s really bad and really good areas. There’s still good places to raise a kid in the Houston area with easy and cheap access to hiking and some great saltwater fishing. Hunting can be pricey but still doable on a budget. Have you considered moving across town instead of across country?

As far as dealing with your dad goes, you should know better than anyone how to approach that. Go with your gut.

Comment

Tell him as soon as you can. You may be surprised at the response you get.
                                Life is too short. Live where you will be happiest.

I worked for years in a family business. Leaving was the best thing I ever did business wise. Made the relationship with my dad much better.

Comment

Working...
                                X