Clear All

WOW! Keep us updated. I love the progress

Comment

Nice

Comment

Subscribed. I need to learn about this.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
          Yes put a large feed pen maybe 10-11 hog panels in a circle. When i started the feeder at my place the hogs took over so i pened it and now pigs have all but disappeared.
          This^^^ throw a trophy rock in there in the spring and the bucks will come. I don't use a feeder in my pen just dump 50 to 100lbs of corn when I can. But my dad lives there so he keeps hand Corning it when the piles run out.

Comment

I really want to plant clover mix in the front where the plum trees are. I have a back portion of cleared acreage that i was thinking of pecan orchid. Will pecans grow in east texas soil? Has anyone tried this?

Comment

You should build hog panels around your feeders. Make them pretty wide plenty of space for the deer.

I also cut the top layer of the hog panels off with bolt cutters so that 1 it's easy for me to get over and 2 easier for the young deer to get over.

Feed supplemental protein in the offseason as well as light corn feeding and in just 1 offseason you'll have tons of regular deer and way less hogs.

The hogs will still be there, they just wont be able to lock down your feeders.

You might also consider a trough of some sort if you don't have good consistent water on the place. Or if your neighbors do put the feeder sort of towards where their ponds are.
              Last edited by DeadEyeB; 11-10-2017, 05:23 AM.

Comment

That was supposed to be pecan orchard.

Comment

IMO, forget feeders and plant plots. Less expensive and better for the wildlife

Comment

Any suggestions on plots? I was going to do clover in the front 1.5 acres for low maintenance. On the south end I have a decent field about 2-3 acres that I may do the orchard in but a food plot would be easier I am sure. I know that I won't make the time to manage multiple plots so one large plot would be simple. The main goal is good stewardship of the land with hunting as an added bonus.

I have calculated that hinge cutting my sweet gums will be the easiest, quickest, and cheapest way to get food to the ground level. I am still working on clearing around the oaks so that natural native growth can happen too.

Comment

Originally posted by robert13t View Post
                      Any suggestions on plots? I was going to do clover in the front 1.5 acres for low maintenance. On the south end I have a decent field about 2-3 acres that I may do the orchard in but a food plot would be easier I am sure. I know that I won't make the time to manage multiple plots so one large plot would be simple. The main goal is good stewardship of the land with hunting as an added bonus.

I have calculated that hinge cutting my sweet gums will be the easiest, quickest, and cheapest way to get food to the ground level. I am still working on clearing around the oaks so that natural native growth can happen too.
                      Do sweet gums even do anything for deer nutrition wise? I thought they were basically trash. Have you thought about fertilizing around Your oaks ?

Comment

Fertilizer to make the tree grow better or the forbes and grasses? I read from a few around here that they will eat sweet gum leaves.

Comment

My friend shot this doe off my place yesterday. She was in a group of three, so at least the other two will be around to repopulate.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Looks like a Beautiful place and you got great plans..I esp like your map with acorns representing trees..Great photos too thx for shareing

Comment

My place is in Navarro co and we have a lot of pecan. I have pretty much every tree there is except pine. Also plums, grapes and dewberrys. I plowed one spot about 1ac and did a mix of seed. Have another spot that I plan to do in the spring next yr.
                              my place is about 32 ac. Looks a lot like yours except instead of the creek we have a small dirt tank. Our creeks are just drainage into the nearby lake. I don't plan to shoot any doe for at least a couple yrs to help the population as much as possible.

Comment

KactusKiller what seed mix did you use? How were the results?

Comment

Working...
                                X