Trad noob....sort of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trad noob....sort of

Good afternoon gentlemen. I am a noob to the trad life. I've read just about every "beginners guide" posted above. I've read through a ton of the threads posted on here. I am a very avid compounds bow shooter as well. However, I have never "really" shot a traditional bow before. I have not purchased a bow yet, I have to wait until Fathers day as per my wife and daughter's. Also bc my birthday is very close to Fathers day I usually get one nice "combo" gift. This year I wanted a recurve, so I have to wait a bit yet.

So, I have been doing a lot of research on different bows. I want something "entry level." In case it just isn't for me. I keep coming back to the Samick Sage Takedown Recurve. I am a southpaw, so I'll have to order one through Cabelas. I am a fairy big dude, so I was thinking of going with a minimum 45# or jump straight to a 50#. I was thinking of replacing the string right off the bat, with what I don't know yet, and I was planning on running Black Eagle Vintage arrows. I know things can change but this is where I was going to start.

I am looking forward to this little new adventure. I intend to shoot everyday so I can try and hunt this fall with it, and if it doesn't work out this fall, then next year. Anyways, very good to meet you guys.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I would look into a used bow over a sage, though you will get a ton of recommendations for the sage. # 45-50 I think is good for a man who does work for a living to start with and is plenty for deer, just remember that that is draw weight is length dependent, you will loose or gain a few pounds per inch depending on draw length. IDK about those arrows, but they are probably fine. Most people find going with 9-10 grains per pound works out good. With the internet finding a good used lefty bow should be no problem

Comment

I will give you some food for thought you can do with it what you will. But go to some bigger 3d shoots and ask the guys turning in the scores towards the top what poundage they shoot. The vast majority are 40-45 at their draw length. These same guys consistently arrow deer and pigs etc with great success. 80% letoff makes compound poundage easy even at 70# recurves and longbows have an ever increasing draw weight. Can folks shoot 50-80 pound trad bows accurately sure some can but they are in the minority at least in my experience. In the end you will find what you enjoy and with a sage or journey bow you won’t have a lot to lose if you don’t like it. Get a new string and let us know what poundage you settle on before you buy arrows. Most pro shops know nothing about trad though they will profess to be experts at least in my opinion. We are lucky to have a good one here but not sure where you live. Enjoy the journey it’s a blast and will keep you humble for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dkincaid View Post
        I will give you some food for thought you can do with it what you will. But go to some bigger 3d shoots and ask the guys turning in the scores towards the top what poundage they shoot. The vast majority are 40-45 at their draw length. These same guys consistently arrow deer and pigs etc with great success. 80% letoff makes compound poundage easy even at 70# recurves and longbows have an ever increasing draw weight. Can folks shoot 50-80 pound trad bows accurately sure some can but they are in the minority at least in my experience. In the end you will find what you enjoy and with a sage or journey bow you won’t have a lot to lose if you don’t like it. Get a new string and let us know what poundage you settle on before you buy arrows. Most pro shops know nothing about trad though they will profess to be experts at least in my opinion. We are lucky to have a good one here but not sure where you live. Enjoy the journey it’s a blast and will keep you humble for sure.

Interestingly enough, some of the best shooters I know (at matches too) shoot 50-60 pounds. I just bought a howatt Coronado that I feel is better that a sage or journey for $65, it is a righty however. I do agree about the proshops not knowing much though.

OP at least look for some used bows, for a few dollars more than a samick, you can find a considerably better bow. I am not trying to knock the samick, but they are not the equal of other bows and you never seem to see any one move up to a samick, only up from one. I am also not saying go out and spend 300+ on a bow either, with a little effort you will be able to find a quality used bow for 150-250, that you wont feel the need to upgrade from in a few months.

Also I defiantly agree about the arrows, once you find out the poundage, then look for the right spine/weight arrow and don't believe the charts when it comes to carbons off of trad bows, they will have you too stiff

Comment

I think you Abilene guys are on steroids I mean look at rick barbee he cut his teeth on a 100# bow when he was 5.

Comment

Too bad you aren't closer, I'm a lefty and have a bunch of bows you could try. Depending on your DL, a 45 lb bow may be closer to 50 if you draw past 28''. Personally I started with a Samick Sage and think it's a really good starter bow. With that said you can pick up used bows pretty cheap. It'd be good if you could make a 3D shoot and shoot a few different bows before you decide. I like the Black Eagle arrows too. Good luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dkincaid View Post
              I think you Abilene guys are on steroids I mean look at rick barbee he cut his teeth on a 100# bow when he was 5.

Haha, There is a guy I have shot with named Delano (I probably butchered the spelling) and he is an outstanding shooter and draws 60 plus, I think he is from the metroplex.

I don't think I could get Ricks martin to half draw

Comment

Compound wise I have a 29.5" draw length, but I know and understand that is completely different with recurve, I get that. That's the problem with being a lefty, I've been looking for awhile. Either I find one way out of my price range, or don't find one at all. Even looked through pawn shops. So I have just decided to order a Samick. I have a small 60 acre farm in East Texas that has quite a few Bois d' arc trees, and I have worked out a deal back home with a guy that makes his own recurves to build me one out of the Bois d' arc wood.

Comment

Originally posted by MONSTERKEN View Post
                  Compound wise I have a 29.5" draw length, but I know and understand that is completely different with recurve, I get that. That's the problem with being a lefty, I've been looking for awhile. Either I find one way out of my price range, or don't find one at all. Even looked through pawn shops. So I have just decided to order a Samick. I have a small 60 acre farm in East Texas that has quite a few Bois d' arc trees, and I have worked out a deal back home with a guy that makes his own recurves to build me one out of the Bois d' arc wood.

Place a want to buy on Stickbow and archery talk. Your draw length wont always change like you think, I shoot 29 with a compound and 29.5 - 30 with a trad bow, I guess cause I lose the length of the release. I would suggest 40-45 pounds at 28 (that should put you 43-48 @29) and a 60" bow minimum 62" would be even better, whatever bow you go with. Good luck and have fun

Comment

I would go with the lighter bow to start. Nice thing about the Samick is you can buy heavier limbs cheap. If you decide that it's something you stick with then watch the classified on Stickbow and you can pick up a nice custom bow for a lot less than new.

Good luck in your adventure.

Comment

Originally posted by MONSTERKEN View Post

Where at in East Tx? I'm in Crockett. If you want to shoot a couple of my bows next time you're in the area just let me know.

Comment

I was in a similar boat. I started with 50 and went to 40 as the draw was totally different and i wanted to work on being good rather than how much i can pull. If you do get a lighter sage or a used one, I can give you the 50# as I'm content with the 40# limbs for practicing now.
                        I did get a fast flight string off 3rivers, but the biggest thing will be shooting arrows that fit your bow well. I got a used sammick sage for 80$ off ebay, then the string, arrows and nocking points and stringer for about $60. i spent more time figuring out the best option for arrows than I did on everything else.

Comment

Every time I find a bow I like for a great price, I look closer and it is LH. Check out RWS, leatherwall classifieds.

Comment

Is anyone familiar with the October Mountain Products recurve? A good friend told about them to check out. Looks like a competitor of the Samick Sage?

Comment

They are made by the same company just rebranded the limbs interchange and the risers are identical

Comment

Working...
                              X