Old Style BBQ Pitt/Smoker Made From Stone/Brick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Style BBQ Pitt/Smoker Made From Stone/Brick

I’m looking for ideas on building a smoker that is not a pipe style but what our Czech ancestors used. When I would go over to my Great Aunt’s house she had a smoker that was built from brick or stone, before pipe was the primary material for smoker builds. Ideally, I would like to keep with this tradition and build a smoker that lets me keep this tradition alive and also add a nice build to my house. I’ve searched the web for ideas and am coming up short, if any of you have access to something like this and could post pictures and dimensions I would appreciate it. I would love to keep this tradition alive.

Thanks,

John

I'm in for the build! Stone should keep a great temp if the mortar is done correctly. I think you will still need metal vents right? And assume the grates are metal. If you can build a chimney entirely of stone you can build a smoker....

Comment

Comment

I grew up with my father cooking in a brick bbq pit. He also had a separate area where he would build coals. He would transfer coals from there to the smoker. I know this because as a barefoot kid I once stepped on some hot coals that had to have fallen off his shovel. I always thought it was a dumb setup, but no one could argue with the finished product. Everything from goat to figs was smoked on it and all of it tasted great.

I believe he used fire bricks for the inside and regular masonary bricks on outside, becase the heat does a number on them. He had grates from an old rock quarry that he used. And sheets of plywood that would be replaced ever few years for the top(lids). I say go for it. It's always cool to have something different than other people, will also give you a great conversation piece. Post a pic of the build when your done.

Comment

no advice but following because I want to do this to one day

Comment

I want to build a cinderblock smoker some day

Comment

Originally posted by Anythinghunter8 View Post
              no advice but following because I want to do this to one day
              X2

Comment

There was a thread on here a few weeks ago where a guy built a brick smoker

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

It's in the ATC section and it's by Efren

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Although I'm sure that it isn't exactly what your looking for, Google Kreuz Market pit for some ideas.

Comment

I also remember seeing these as a kid at my distant relatives in German/Czech country around Industry, New Ulm, etc. In for the build.

Comment

Originally posted by Kills-myth View Post
                        Although I'm sure that it isn't exactly what your looking for, Google Kreuz Market pit for some ideas.
                        That’s what I’m talking about, thanks for the info.

If anyone has something like this that could post some pictures and or dimensions that would be really helpful.

Comment

My grandfather was born in 1914 and only spoke English when we were around. (Czech)
                          He had a BBQ pit that he made years back from stacked bricks. He had a small opening in one end where he built a small fire and then added small pieces of split oak one piece at a time. the top was a piece of tin that he would pull off and hang when he added sop to the meat. He only BBQ'd chicken, beef and pork ribs, and goat on it. I loved that BBQ. I will see if I can get some pics and dimensions.
                          There was no vent or smokestack. The bricks were stacked and not mortared and the smoke worked thru the cracks in the bricks and the tin.
                          Last edited by TXBRASS; 05-29-2018, 03:36 PM.

Comment

I keep saying I want to build one like this one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Love it....

Comment

Working...
                              X