Follow me thru Harvey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
    That was fun! just kidding - please let's not have to go through this again!

I showed your post to my husband and he totally didn't understand the sump pump and water thing.

So can you briefly explain how and where you put the sump pump and how it captured the water to divert? He comes from Iowa and kept saying "a sump pump goes in a basement. That's not a basement."

I have some drains around my yard that drain to a sump basin buried in the ground. Similar to a small septic or holding tank. The sump pump is located inside this basin. When the water level is high enough the sump pump pushes all the water to the front ditch. In a normal storm the front ditch will carry the water away from my property with no problem. But with the amount of water we received my front ditch was backing up towards the house. For this reason I had to dig a hole in my ditch to temporarily get another sump pump below grade. I did this by burying a 2.5 gallon bucket and putting an additional pump at the ditch. I pumped that water over my driveway. That ground slopes towards a drain that goes to a detention pond the school put in.

These two pumps were enough to keep the Yard around my house dry. Once the ditch started to back up to the house there was more wAter than the pumps could keep up with. I then had to get the 2" trash pump and pump out my whole yard over the driveway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
      That was fun! just kidding - please let's not have to go through this again!

I showed your post to my husband and he totally didn't understand the sump pump and water thing.

So can you briefly explain how and where you put the sump pump and how it captured the water to divert? He comes from Iowa and kept saying "a sump pump goes in a basement. That's not a basement."
      Your husband's giving us have a bad name. Must be a Cyclone's Fan :-)

Did a hole in the low spot, in this case years instead of basement.
      Friends on how fancy you want to get. Take a blue 55 gal drum drill holes in the sides of it like a colander line the outside with landscape fabric, to help keep febris out. Sick it in the hole you dug out 2 or 3 centre blocks in the bottom to keep it from floating set submersible sump pump in cinder block run hose away from house.
      When done fill the hope you dug back in
      Last edited by Pushbutton2; 09-01-2017, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X