No announcement yet.

National parks for sale?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's happened in Colorado, Nevada, Utah, and Idaho. States see the dollar signs and sell the land. Some are worse than others, I think there's a gritty bowmen podcast or maybe a full draw full time podcast about just how bad it's gotten in some states

Comment

Feds can't manage themselves much less money, back when Roosevelt set aside these national parks, they had no value I terms of todays dollar. Let the State that they reside in manage and get the feds out of the way

Comment

Originally posted by rladner View Post
        still not buying it. I mean, sure, it could happen, if you let it and you really don't make an effort to be successful. But there are lots of ways you could successfully transfer and maintain these lands at the State level. Its not that complicated and also doesn't have to be so simple.
        Fed spent 1.7 billion last year on just firefighting out west.... Some states they spent almost 200million fighting wildfires. Let that sink in.

Federal control isn't perfect with that said majority of states will sell they won't have a choice. Most states struggle keeping F&G offices going

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post

Fed spent 1.7 billion last year on just firefighting out west.... Some states they spent almost 200million fighting wildfires. Let that sink in.

Federal control isn't perfect with that said majority of states will sell they won't have a choice. Most states struggle keeping F&G offices going
          Noted. And again, easy work around if desired.

Comment

still not buying it. I mean, sure, it could happen, if you let it and you really don't make an effort to be successful. But there are lots of ways you could successfully transfer and maintain these lands at the State level. Its not that complicated and also doesn't have to be so simple.
            Please do a little research on the subject before pontificating. It is a very complicated topic and the states just don't have the resources to keep these lands public. Past history points to this leading to privatization of these public lands that currently all Americans own and can use with very little restrictions.

Comment

If you are truly interested in this subject I suggest reading some of the history about how the public lands came into federal ownership. Here's a link to a pdf article titled:

America’s Public Lands: origins, history, future

I spent a career with the U.S. Forest Service working in Lands, Minerals, Recreation, Fire and Special Uses.

I can honestly say I worked with some great professionals from many different disciplines such as fire, wildlife, fisheries, archaeology, engineering etc.

These folks work hard everyday to fulfill the Forest Service motto of "Caring for the Land and Serving People".

Most folks don't realize that 25% of revenues (timber, oil and gas, recreation etc.) collected on public lands managed by federal agencies are returned to the local counties for schools and roads.

I realize I'm biased but feel it would be a big mistake to turn federally owned lands over to the states.

Comment

Originally posted by PantherCity View Post
                Please do a little research on the subject before pontificating. It is a very complicated topic and the states just don't have the resources to keep these lands public. Past history points to this leading to privatization of these public lands that currently all Americans own and can use with very little restrictions.
                I've done my research. Put some thought into it and came to the conclusion it really isn't that complicated. It can be done fairly easily with safeguards in place. Just put a little thought into how to address your concerns. Boom, plausible solution. Its not rocket science.

The biggest concern I hear here is money. Well, that is easily solvable.

Comment

We also have a problem with the legislature purposefully under-funding and handicapping the management of these lands so that they can point to these shortcomings and say "look its not being managed very well" so they can turn around and support land transfers. Many of the legislators supporting public land transfer are the same ones currently responsible for the "mismanagement" of the lands.

Comment

What is the easy solution to this... I could sure use one!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

I've done my research. Put some thought into it and came to the conclusion it really isn't that complicated. It can be done fairly easily with safeguards in place. Just put a little thought into how to address your concerns. Boom, plausible solution. Its not rocket science.

If these solutions are so simple, please edify us and let us hear you easy solution.

Comment

It's already been done

A couple of quotes from the article I posted above.

"Two-thirds of the original 1.8 billion acres of public domain
                        acquired by the United States were subsequently transferred
                        to individuals, corporations and states."

"Most of the public lands were transferred out of the public domain by:

Military Bounties – Over 61 million acres of public domain
                        lands west of the Appalachian Mountains were granted to
                        veterans of the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812 as
                        compensation for their service.

Land Grants to States – Each new state that joined the
                        Union gave up claim to federal public domain lands within
                        its borders, but received large acreages of public domain in
                        land grants. These were to be leased or sold by the state to
                        help raise funds for public schools, colleges, universities and
                        other public institutions in the state."

Comment

Noted. And again, easy work around if desired.
                          And what is the workaround for this?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't think it will happen. But we could form a CO-OP and buy it up, all it takes is a little down and a little a month.

Comment

Totally against it here. These lands are national treasures and I don't trust states to handle them responsibly in all cases.

I'm lucky enough to live in close proximity to some truly awesome Federal (and state) land here in Arkansas and I want to see it remain preserved and intact. AGFC has created one of the best WMA systems in the country, but couldn't handle all the federal land here in the state the same way.

As outdoorsman and HOPEFULLY conservationists, the hunting and fishing community should be able to see through this brand of politics.
                              Last edited by Razrbk89; 07-26-2016, 11:13 AM.

Comment

It's obvious that you have never worked within a federal bureaucracy. Nothing is ever simple when dealing with lands issues. Congress would have to do away with a long history of federal laws beginning with the General Mining Law of 1872. That will never happen due to the revenues from mineral development on public lands.

In 2015 alone Onshore Oil and Gas revenues were 28.9 billion dollars. I just don't think the federal government will hand that over to the states.
                                Last edited by Froggy; 07-26-2016, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X