Texas Youth Hunting Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas Youth Hunting Program

How many of you get your kids in this? My grandson was selected for our first hunt January 12 at Circle J ranch in Lavaca county. Curious if anyone else will be there

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Best kept secret out there. We have been on 7 of these hunts over the past three years. Every ranch is obviously a little different but they all follow the TYHP model of safety first and make it educational. Each of our hunts have been a lot of fun with great harvest success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Is this the drawn hunts done every year?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy7306 View Post

No its a separate organization. Hunts are still done by drawing but it's for youth only hunting and educational hunts. TYHP.com

Comment

Originally posted by TXOUTLAW View Post
          No its a separate organization. Hunts are still done by drawing but it's for youth only hunting and educational hunts. TYHP.com

Cool thanks! It’s actually TYHP.org

.com goes to some Japanese website

So ya just sign up. And pick what hunt to go to and it costs $150?

Comment

I would suggest using the "Search" function here, and entering TYHP for past threads with tons of information. TBH member RGB is a TYHP official, and can provide lots of information. Here is a link to a response I provided about the TYHP: http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...6&postcount=13

The photo is of my son and his first deer (2 does) that he shot on a TYHP hunt in 2014. The photo in my avatar shows the two of us with a nice 10 point buck he shot a few weeks ago. I feel the TYHP was an excellent way for him to get into hunting, and he has turned into a fine hunter and outdoorsman.

Regards,

Dave
            Attached Files

Comment

I won't be at that one, but my daughter has done three of them in the last two seasons and loves it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy7306 View Post

Yes. There are several of them

Comment

Great way to get to spend time with your kids or grandkids. My daughter has been picked for 2 of the hunts this year. She took 2 deer on the first one and 4 on the second one. Food has always been pretty good, good fellowship with the kids and adults. Plus where else are you going to get to hunt for $150 including meals all weekend.

Comment

Great, great program. Could not recommend it enough.

Comment

Awesome! so glad i found this. ill be getting into it for sure for my 2 kiddos.

Comment

Every place I've been to was MLD so the landowner had tags. The kids don't have to use their own tags.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                          Every place I've been to was MLD so the landowner had tags. The kids don't have to use their own tags.
                          Just depends on location, sure on the hagerman youth hunt the kids have to use their license tags.

As far as it being a secret, its not really anymore, I was told they have way more applications than spots now, that didn't used to be the case and kids that applied got to hunt at least somewhere every year. Now some years some kids do have to sit out, we were not drawn for any last year.

& FYI these hunts are not free like the TPWD draw ones. I know there has been some confusion between the two and people not paying or showing up after drawn and realizing they aren't, so please don't apply if your not willing to pay the hunt fee.
                          Last edited by bossbowman; 12-13-2017, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TXOUTLAW View Post
                            How many of you get your kids in this? My grandson was selected for our first hunt January 12 at Circle J ranch in Lavaca county. Curious if anyone else will be there

Awesome organization! Pretty sure one of my coworkers will be guiding on this hunt. Will ask him later today.

Comment

My son is in his 3rd year of participation in the TYHP program. Definitely one of the best kept secrets out there.

One detail that has slipped up on a few folks here is that your kid needs to have completed their Hunters Education. SCI in Houston has done a few events in the past for the kids to get the HE.

We have met some amazing people on these hunts. Noah was selected for the Cave Creek Super Hunt coming up January 5-7. He is really looking forward to getting to the Hill Country to chase some deer.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by salth2o; 12-14-2017, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X