Lets talk cedar arrows.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets talk cedar arrows.

I took a look at my arrow bin yesterday and it's getting rather thin. I've been shooting like crazy for something like 10 months now and I've broken many of my carbon shafts. Yes I know it's stupidly easy to just buy more shafts and put together a dozen in an afternoon but I'd like to try something more traditional. Ergo- Cedar shafting.

I've read/watched Youtube/etc on how to straighten them, stain them, seal them, crest them if desired, fletch etc. Other than being much more time consuming than carbons it seems pretty straight forward. I read folks saying "there's nothing like shooting cedar". Sounds nice so I want to try it.

My question is this and it stems from having chosen the wrong carbon shafts initially. I went off the 3rivers Arrow Chart to figure out which shafts to start with and it's a tad confusing. Looking to go 190 grains up front with a 45lb recurve, 29" DL, arrow cut to 31.5 (yes I know that's long but if you watch me draw you'll know why I like them that long) points to an 85-90 spine arrow. That seems like it'd be too stiff. Heck with the above plugged in for my 60lb bow I'd have to get a 95-100 spine. I'm going with the adage of shoot the heaviest bow you can comfortably with the heaviest arrow you can shoot accurately. So I guess what I'm asking is with the above information do I go with the listed shafts on the 3rivers chart or is there a differing recommendation from you folks that shoot cedar on a regular basis?

Keep in mind that with my new tech school starting in a month and a 90% chance that Uncle Sam will send me out of state for the first three years I'll probably not start messing with cedar for at least six months. I do however believe in starting the research early.

As always advice is appreciated.

Richard.

You really need to buy a spine test set of arrows to get the right one. I love cedar arrows as well. They are fun to build and shoot. Here is a set Of cedar flu flus I made this weekend:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lets talk cedar arrows.

I have the same setup as you: 45 lbs with 29inch draw. I use 55-60 spine with 125grains up front, cut to 30 inches, it flies perfect, but I would still recommend the spine test kit

Comment

Originally posted by PineyWoodsBow View Post
        I have the same setup as you: 45 lbs with 29inch draw. I use 55-60 spine with 125grains up front, cut to 30 inches, it flies perfect, but I would still recommend the spine test kit

Do you happen to know the total weight of your arrows? I'm curious how heavy cedar is.

Thanks for the advice!

Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
          Other than being much more time consuming than carbons it seems pretty straight forward.
          If you have learned nothing from the last 10 months... you should have learned that nothing is as straight forward as it seems.

Comment

I guess that shoulder and elbow are feeling better. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
              If you have learned nothing from the last 10 months... you should have learned that nothing is as straight forward as it seems.
              Yeah when I say "straight forward" in the context of traditional archery I figured you'd at least be able to understand what I meant.

Originally posted by DRT View Post
              I guess that shoulder and elbow are feeling better. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
              Better yes, 100% not yet. Shooting is still limited but I'm back in the gym working on getting there.

Richard.

Comment

X2 on the spine test kit. Not terribly expensive either. Don't know what it is about the POC's but I just really love shooting them.

Comment

Love any wooden arrow!

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
                    Do you happen to know the total weight of your arrows? I'm curious how heavy cedar is.

Thanks for the advice!

Richard.

No I don't have a way to weigh them

Comment

Talk to Jeffro

Comment

If you want to build them yourself I suggest you get your shafts from: http://wapitiarcherypoc.com
                        Derek has some great step-by-step videos for building arrows starting here: https://youtu.be/lrGf0WOqNBs
                        If you want to buy a set I would talk to Jeffro at 10 Again Arrows: https://www.facebook.com/JEFFRONEETZ/
                        I would do a test kit as others have suggested.
                        Last edited by EnW; 05-09-2017, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Spine, weight, blah-blah-blah, none of is that is as important (not seriously, I'm am being faceciuos you know) as the smell, nothing says traditional as much as the smell of poc. You break a carbon and you just destroyed a few bucks, break a poc arrow, get the pieces to smell it makes you feel better.

Comment

45-50 spine arrows will come in close 400 grains in port or ford cedar. That's shaft weight. Then add point weight to adjust your spine. If your draw weight is 50# at your draw get you some 50-55 spine arrrows from terry at nocking point. Don't waste your money on shafts or spine testing arrows from three rivers . They are very good for most everything but not wood arrows. I suggest spending the money for a spine tester. Ace makes a good one. Also get you a piece of granite about 1'x3' and a shaft tamer to straighten the shafts. Your local granite cabinet top man has scraps usualy for free. That's the short story. Wood arrows are as good as any carbon shaft if done properly no matter how many Bisch burns up. arvin

Comment

Originally posted by Selfbowman View Post
                              45-50 spine arrows will come in close 400 grains in port or ford cedar. That's shaft weight. Then add point weight to adjust your spine. If your draw weight is 50# at your draw get you some 50-55 spine arrrows from terry at nocking point. Don't waste your money on shafts or spine testing arrows from three rivers . They are very good for most everything but not wood arrows. I suggest spending the money for a spine tester. Ace makes a good one. Also get you a piece of granite about 1'x3' and a shaft tamer to straighten the shafts. Your local granite cabinet top man has scraps usualy for free. That's the short story. Wood arrows are as good as any carbon shaft if done properly no matter how many Bisch burns up. arvin
                              Truth

Comment

Working...
                              X