No announcement yet.

Longbow guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am at 8 1/4" now and have determined that I am getting string slap on the top limb. I will get that taken care of.

The limbsavers were on it when I got it. I agree, they are worthless at that location.

As to arrows, will somebody please explain how you can get a carbon arrow spined correctly for a 45# bow up above 10 gpp. I assume a 500 spine shaft is where to start. They weigh about 7.3 gpi. At 29 1/2" that means something like a 240 grain point. That much weight on a 500 should make it extremely weak.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
      I am at 8 1/4" now and have determined that I am getting string slap on the top limb. I will get that taken care of.

The limbsavers were on it when I got it. I agree, they are worthless at that location.

As to arrows, will somebody please explain how you can get a carbon arrow spined correctly for a 45# bow up above 10 gpp. I assume a 500 spine shaft is where to start. They weigh about 7.3 gpi. At 29 1/2" that means something like a 240 grain point. That much weight on a 500 should make it extremely weak.
      I have to start with I have no personal experience with Striker bows.

-If you're getting string slap on the top limb, you almost certainly need more brace height due to the design of the bow.

-Yes, the limb dampeners are doing the bow no service. Remove them and use double sided tape to find a sweet spot. Once a good location is determined then, get some new dampeners.

-In order to increase arrow weight, simply get higher spined arrows and use more weight up front. You can also add weight to the nock end of the arrow, this will require more weight up front to re-gain the tune.

I did look at the Striker WWW site, they no longer offer 3pc longbows (maybe there's a reason?).

In my limited experience longbows and recurves tune exactly the same so there should really be no secret solution to tuning/ silencing a longbow... Get the arrow weight up to at least 9gpp... Use proper spined arrows... Bare shaft tune, paper tune or broadhead tune, just tune arrows to bow.

Good luck and have fun with the never ending puzzle.

Comment

Beman Centershot 500s are 8.3gpi. Easton Axis Trad 500s are 8.9gpi.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
          Beman Centershot 500s are 8.3gpi. Easton Axis Trad 500s are 8.9gpi.
          So, 29 1/4 * 8.9 = 260.325

450-260.325=189.675 grains for point, insert, and nock

My problem is that my 500 shafts show weak with a 145 grain point. To get them tuned they fly best with 125 grain points. I grab some of my 400 shafts and they show stiff with 245 grain points. I don't see an option in carbon shafts to get where I need to be. The ideal shaft would be something that weighs about twelve grains per inch and flexes like a 500.

I have about seven bows that I shoot regularly. I keep about three dozen arrows in 500 spine with some tipped with 125 and some with 145. I also keep a couple of dozen arrows in 400 spine with almost all of them tipped with 245 grains. Most of my bows are 50-52 pound bows and they all like the 400s set up that way. Flight is not perfect, but I can live with a little nock left or nock right. The Striker shoots the 500s like darts with 125 grain points but the gpp is way low. I have no inclination to begin setting up certain arrows for certain bows. In fact, I will sell the odd ball bow that is a bit quirky and won't digest arrows like the rest of the pack. I really like the Striker and will try to damper the string slap. If I can't get it done with what is on hand I will list it for sale. By the way, I already have a new to me long bow headed my way. 64" 53#

Comment

caughtandhobble

3 Rivers Spring catalog shows a New Striker Takedown Classic Deluxe that looks like mine except it is 60". Item number 2297X. $949.99. Recurve limbs for ONLY $549.99. sheesh!

I am thinking that Striker may have made a deal for 3 Rivers to market the takedowns. Just a guess though.

Comment

Describe the noise.

Rick

Comment

Rick, it is a single string slap on the top limb about three quarters to half an inch below the string groove. I could see wax on the limb where the string was popping on the limb. I cleaned that off and put a felt dot on. It still makes the slap sound but is muffled a bit. It sounds like a recurve when the brace height gets too low.

Comment

A long bow with the string contacting the limb? Maybe raise the BH a little more. I don't know.

Comment

For grins, I grabbed some of the 400 spine arrows with 225 grain points. Total arrow weight of 484 grains or so. Noticeable loss of speed and I had to adjust some for drop. The string does not slap with that heavy arrow and all that I hear is a little hum from the string. Not bad, but I am not taking this bow hunting for anything larger than a rabbit.

Comment

Working...
                    X