Do You Change Feeder Times???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do You Change Feeder Times???

My feeders are currently set for 0700 in the morning and 1700 (5:00)pm. Do you change the times on your feeders each time the time changes or do you leave them the same all year? Do you make any adjustments to your feeders? Please advise.

Thanks,
    Lance

Only time I change them is to adjust for daylight savings.

I'll check sunrise and sunset times, my first throw is 15 mins before sunrise, and then 1 hour before sunset.

I'll add a 9am and a 8pm throw on Fridays, Saturday's, and Sundays in hopes of picking off a few hogs while I'm out there

Comment

I used to every time, but I am considering leaving them alone this year.

Comment

I believe the spin cast feeders timers adjust automatically.

Comment

I change mine to adjust for the time change. I also don't throw as much corn as I do during the season.

Granted I'm 25 min from the lease so it's not a hassle to make a trip out there.
          Last edited by Daniel32; 02-06-2018, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel32 View Post
            I change mine to adjust for the time change. I also don't throw as much corn as I do during the season.

Granted I'm 25 min from the lease so it's not a hassle to make a trip out thee.
            Good point. I'm 4.5 hours away. I only make it out there maybe once a month.

Comment

I adjust for dlst of course but I also adjust for best hunting times. For example right now I want pigs to come in my feeders are set for as early as shooting light allows and 30 minutes before dark.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

yes. I feed once a day after dark for pigs now

Comment

I do with daylight savings.

Comment

I do for early and late seasons.

Comment

I change mine every trip due to the nights and days getting longer or shorter. I drive too far to be hardheaded about a 30 sec ordeal. My neighbors and lease members all throw corn......and if I left it the same all year like some folks I could be as long as 1 hour before or after morning light depending on the longer/shorter day swing (absolutely nothing to do with DSL). If it was to spin an hour after light, the deer that would come to my feeder would already be at somebody else's feeder getting full or shot. And if it was that long before light , they would be full, gone, or even worse still there when I walked in.

With the sunrise/ sunset app on my phone at my fingertips, it is lazy not to change it in my opinion. I want every advantage I can get with other folks doing the same. I always set them when I leave to be perfect by my next planned trip.

I have been doing the following for 10 years on our place.

AM is set 15 minutes after civil twilight or the crack of dawn. Civil twilight/crack of dawn is around 30 minutes before the actual Sunrise listing, so I always take Sunrise and subtract 15 minutes to get my AM set time for the 4 feeders we manage. That usually gives me decent light when it goes off.

PM is always 1.5 hours before the Sunset listing. That gives me two hours of good light with the spinner having spun. I get in 1-1.5 hours before, throw handcorn and have a good 3 hours of hunting.

In short....very simple.
                      AM is 15 minutes before sunrise listing
                      PM is 1.5 hours before sunset listing.

I also adjust for DSL because it is simply easier to keep up with when I do change my feeder times through the year. Again...another quick adjustment for convenience.
                      Last edited by Smart; 02-06-2018, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        I change mine every trip due to the nights and days getting longer or shorter. I drive too far to be hardheaded about a 30 sec ordeal. My neighbors and lease members all throw corn......and if I left it the same all year like some folks I could be as long as 1 hour before or after morning light depending on the longer/shorter day swing (absolutely nothing to do with DSL). If it was to spin an hour after light, the deer that would come to my feeder would already be at somebody else's feeder getting full or shot. And if it was that long before light , they would be full, gone, or even worse still there when I walked in.

With the sunrise/ sunset app on my phone at my fingertips, it is lazy not to change it in my opinion. I want every advantage I can get with other folks doing the same. I always set them when I leave to be perfect by my next planned trip.

I have been doing the following for 10 years on our place.

AM is set 15 minutes after civil twilight or the crack of dawn. Civil twilight/crack of dawn is around 30 minutes before the actual Sunrise listing, so I always take Sunrise and subtract 15 minutes to get my AM set time for the 4 feeders we manage. That usually gives me decent light when it goes off.

PM is always 1.5 hours before the Sunset listing. That gives me two hours of good light with the spinner having spun. I get in an 1-1.5 hours before, throw handcorn and have a good 3 hours of hunting.

In short....very simple.
                        AM is 15 minutes before sunrise listing
                        PM is 1.5 hours before sunset listing.

I also adjust for DSL because it is simply easier to keep up with when I do change my feeder times through the years. again...another quick adjustment for convenience.
                        Not to mention, by adjusting the timer, you can also check to make sure everything is in working order while the door is open. Nothing worse than not checking the feeder and it doesn't go off.

Comment

I always change it to @ 10min before sunrise and an hr before sunset.

Comment

Only on my other feeders
                            Not my favorite. Just add corn

Comment

I don't adjust for daylight savings time, but I'll make adjustments for evening and morning throws as needed as the days get shorter.

Comment

Working...
                              X