Deformed antlers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
    In all seriousness SIPPY, If they dont use their feet to help shape their antlers during velvet, then how can a leg injury deform them? Im just curious.
    Not trying to be a smart a**. I have no clue and receive conflicting information.
    This is the funniest post I have ever seen

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
      Damage to blood flow and nerve transmissions.

Most antler abnormalities are due to a pedicel injury or an injury to the antler itself when in velvet.
      Are you a botanist or a biologist?

In all seriousness, I get the whole foot/leg injury causing opposite antler deformation, etc. What causes things like extra points and something like palmation or extreme non-typical racks? Is that purely genetic or based on nutrition?

Comment

This thread went off track. I believe the reason for this is because I switched feed this year. I believe it upset the rumen and that caused the antlers to go haywire. Some of the deer though are still pretty impressive such as crazy mass, double beam, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by WTN View Post
          I seem to recall a thread last year that suggested it may be caused by cottonseed baskets. By chance do you feed cottonseed out of the mesh wire baskets?

That was me that suspected velvet injuries from the cottonseed feeders. I stopped feeding cottonseed this year in May. I haven't run cameras yet, so I don't know yet if I have as many freaks as last year.

Comment

That is one beautiful healthy buck^^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
              This thread went off track. I believe the reason for this is because I switched feed this year. I believe it upset the rumen and that caused the antlers to go haywire. Some of the deer though are still pretty impressive such as crazy mass, double beam, etc.
              Did you switch to DoubleDown?

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                That is one beautiful healthy buck^^^^^^

That is two different bucks [emoji57]

There were about 8 more with similar deformities last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
                  That is two different bucks [emoji57]

There were about 8 more with similar deformities last year.
                  Sent you a e mail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
                    That was me that suspected velvet injuries from the cottonseed feeders. I stopped feeding cottonseed this year in May. I haven't run cameras yet, so I don't know yet if I have as many freaks as last year.

I had one just like the second picture and his was from a leg injury.

This is the year after the injury and then the following year when he grew back normal.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I'm the guy who "claimed " to be a biologist. I am a Certified Wildlife Biologist.

Yes, leg injuries cause antler deformation.

What you fell for was something completely different.

Is it deer from a certain area that normally use their feet to curve antlers into drop tines?
                      Last edited by Patton; 08-09-2016, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post

Is it deer from a certain area that normally use their feet to curve antlers into drop tines?
                        Only deer on high fenced places have the ability to curve out droptines with their hooves.

Comment

Only deer on high fenced places have the ability to curve out droptines with their hooves.
                          At least somebody is getting a kick out of my lack of education

Comment

At least somebody is getting a kick out of my lack of education
                            I'm glad you don't take it personally!

Comment

I'm glad you don't take it personally!
                              Never,
                              at least i try not to, lol. Getting upset at something so trivial robs the joy out of life.

Comment

Never,
                                at least i try not to, lol. Getting upset at something so trivial robs the joy out of life.
                                this is the smartest post I have seen in a long time!!

Comment

Working...
                                X