Davy Crockett Closed until further notice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Davy Crockett Closed until further notice

Any TBH's live in an around Davy Crockett that can fill us in on how bad it is out there?

National Forests closing as Hurricane Ike approaches
    News & Events

As Hurricane Ike approaches the Texas Gulf Coast, Forest Supervisor Fred Salinas is closing the four national forests in Texas, including all campgrounds.

“With potentially high winds, possible tornados and heavy rainfall, the forest is not a safe place to be,” Salinas said. “The Angelina, Sabine, Davy Crockett and Sam Houston National Forests will remain closed until the storm has passed and our personnel have determined the roads and recreation areas are safe for public use.”

Salinas emphasized that national forest lands and campgrounds in Texas cannot serve as evacuation sites for hurricane evacuees. “We’ve witnessed the destructive nature of hurricanes in recent years, and I believe it is far better to err on the side of caution than to place even one person in jeopardy,” he said.

The National Forests and Grasslands in Texas cover 675,807 acres of public land in east and northeast Texas.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just talked to a guy who has a lease in Ratcliff. Trees down every where. The schools in Kenard are closed for the week. No power in Kenard or ratcliff. Most roads were blocked by trees, limbs or power lines. He said if anyone was camping out there, they're probably stuck until someone can cut them out. Not sure how long it will take them to clear it but hopefully it will be done before bow season starts.

Comment

I dont think LBJ is closed or any other national forest up north the storm didnt hit as hard as it did south east. I didnt really see any trees down, only limbs and leafs at LBJ.

Comment

Latest from the Forestry Service:

National Forests remain closed in wake of Hurricane Ike

The four National Forests in Texas remain closed to the public as damage from Hurricane Ike is assessed, according to Forest Supervisor Fred Salinas.

“The Angelina, Sabine, Davy Crockett and Sam Houston National Forests sustained hurricane force winds from Ike and chainsaw crews are working to remove downed trees and limbs from roads and campgrounds,” Salinas said.

“Many employees are without power, and indications are that the Sam Houston and Davy Crockett Ranger District Offices and employees may be without power for 2 to 4 weeks,” Salinas said. “To improve communications and continue damage assessments, our greatest immediate need is to power up our offices and radio towers.”

In addition, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department has suspended all public hunting activities by Annual Public Hunting Permit until further notice on Moore Plantation Wildlife Management Unit (WMA), Bannister WMA, Sam Houston National Forest WMA and Alabama Creek WMA.

Damage assessments to endangered species such as the red-cockaded woodpecker are also being made.

Comment

Originally posted by boliverpete View Post
          In addition, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department has suspended all public hunting activities by Annual Public Hunting Permit until further notice on Moore Plantation Wildlife Management Unit (WMA), Bannister WMA, Sam Houston National Forest WMA and Alabama Creek WMA.
          I don't really mind making donations to the TPWD, but I probably would not have purchased the APH if I were not going to be able to hunt SHNF. So, I guess I just made my donation this year.

Comment

Closed until further notice

If you have plans to bow hunt on any of the National Forest in East Texas you might want to start looking elsewhere. They may reopen some of the Sabine and Angelina by then, but I wouldn't count on it.

The Davy Crockett and Sam Houston NF had extensive damage. They definitely won't be open by Sept 27th.

Comment

maybe by nov. they will be ready.

Comment

I hope they open something. I live in Angelina, and hunt Davy Crockett more than around home! My lease is in Cherokee, and it is not in great shape either! I lost a camera, ground blind, and a ladder to my lock-on stand.

Comment

I was talking to a friend who is a biologist with the TPWD. He stated that they were going to work hard to open several of the WMAs but it may not be during the bow only season. Maybe during the rifle season. He also stated that some of the coastal WMAs might be closed longer as they had some wardens do a fly over and they spotted several dead hogs and deer that appeared to have been drowned from the storm surge. Mother nature is a *****.

Comment

Bad deal!

Comment

Mother nature?

She actually takes care of her own.

Comment

I am going to call tomorrow to get clarification on this.
                        I know the camping areas are closed but what would keep us from being able to hunt? I can walk around fallen trees!

Comment

Clarification

Public safety. Jackstrawed trees. Hardwoods and pines hung up waiting for the right breeze to crash down, are the main reason. Crews are working hard trying to reopen roads and recreation areas. Would you sleep in a hunter camp with trees hung up just waiting to fall?

Here's the link to watch to see what is closed or may be opened.

Comment

I understand that the campsites are closed.
                            The link says they are closed what I was questioning is the forest closed to all recreation at davy crockett.
                            the link says sam houston is closed to all recreation.
                            davy crockett only shows the campground are closed.
                            Forgot to call today will call tomorrow.

Comment

I called today and they confirmed that the davy crockett national forest is closed to all recreation including hunting,camping and hiking...

Comment

Working...
                              X