No announcement yet.

How to wake up better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mental, nothing more imo. If tomorrow you had to meet me at a 7k acre ranch, so I could give you the keys to the gate and a couple million $$, there would be no sluggish morning
    Hypnosis would be my suggestion.
    And if you were still sluggish the next morning, it's definetly mental .

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
      I'm no help, as I'm the definition of a morning person. My wife thinks I'm crazy as hell, as on weekends I can't sleep past 6 because I'm so excited to get my day going. I pop right out of bed in the morning on week days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
      Same! I do hit the snooze once during the week but when it's time to go hunting or fishing I am normally awake waiting on the alarm to go off.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
        Define changed my life. I assume you had sleep apnea, got a cpap, and now feel much better.

I may misunderstand sleep apnea but I think I would be tired/sleepy during the day. I am not. I am the happiest when I am busy. Sitting still is not for me. I never feel the need for a nap.

I do not snore or have any other symptoms of sleep apnea besides being tired when I wake up. I admittedly know little about sleep studies but I can't see them offering me much of a solution besides meds. I have zero interest in a prescription.

I feel like it all ties back to caffeine dependency for me.
        I functioned fine during the day as well albeit not as much energy. I was not falling asleep either. But I would feel like total DS when I woke up. I feel great as a whole when waking up these days.

BTW....never heard anybody being prescribed pills after a sleep study. I think that is a GP's doing before suggesting a sleep study.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          I functioned fine during the day as well albeit not as much energy. I was not falling asleep either. But I would feel like total DS when I woke up. I feel great as a whole when waking up these days.

BTW....never heard anybody being prescribed pills after a sleep study. I think that is a GP's doing before suggesting a sleep study.
          Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

Comment

I am a morning person and seldom get more than 6 hours of sleep. I have been like this my whole life. I also don't use an alarm. If I need to be up at 5:30 for work I wake up at 5:15. I have also been like this my whole life, weird I know. My wife has a hard time getting up and is not much of a morning person. She snoozes the alarm several times, goes to bed early (asleep by 9:30 or 10:00 and she gets up around 6am M-F), and can be cranky until she has a cup of coffee. She found not drinking caffeine after 3pm has helped her feel more rested in the mornings and she gets up easier. We also bought a new mattress (Casper I think), our old one was awful. The combo of limiting her caffeine and the better mattress has helped her she says. That is hearsay of course, just offering her experience for reference.

Comment

I think its basically that everyone is different. I'm decently fit and work long hours. I haven't slept well in many years. I'm 41yoa and its been many, many years ago, if ever, that I actually slept through the night. My nights are typically as you described, fall asleep very quickly, but then wake up numerous times throughout the night. Reposition, and bam, right back to sleep. I don't really require a lot of sleep, 5-6hrs and I can function just fine. I do differ in the fact that I am somewhat a morning person. I have to get up on work days at 0420. I don't like waking up at that time, but by the time I'm out of the shower I'm good. By the time I'm downstairs and pouring the first cup of coffee, I typically feel great.

I know many people who are not morning people and need 8-10hrs of sleep. I work with guys who are older than me and sleep straight through for 10hrs and they say they never move. I wish I could. I've often wondered if its something with my mind. Its always going 100 miles per hour. I'm also not one to sit still while I'm at home and can't stand to sit around watching TV. My wife is the opposite. She could sleep late every day, could sit around on the couch for 8hrs and be perfectly happy. I think a lot of it is just how we're wired.

Comment

Just have your wife wake you up in that "special way"!

Comment

Turn your clock back a couple of hours. Just say it's Leanmachine sleep saving time or something like that. Makes as much sense as daylight savings time.

Other than my idea and the sleep sudies, make a list of all of the suggestions on this thread and do them all every day for a couple of weeks and let us know how it goes.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
                    I've never been remotely close to over weight.

I drink a lot of caffeine. I have drank energy drinks for so long that I can't remember how I slept and woke up before them. I go back and forth between monsters and the crystal light pure energy mix. I feel like i'm risking my own safety if I don't drink it on the way to work driving down I20 for 70 miles.

Caffeine has a long half life but I do not feel it is affecting my sleep. I used to drink tea at night and that definitely affected my sleep. I don't do that anymore. I do feel that it has to be affecting my wake up based on dependency.

I do not use pre-workout.

"I drink a lot of caffeine. I have drank energy drinks for so long that I can't remember how I slept and woke up before them. I go back and forth between monsters and the crystal light pure energy mix. I feel like i'm risking my own safety if I don't drink it on the way to work driving down I20 for 70 miles."

I would hypothesize that this ^^^^^ is affecting your quality of sleep. Just because you fall asleep, doesn't mean you are actually entering REM and deep sleep cycles.

Look up the work of for navy seal Dr. Kirk Parsley. http://www.docparsley.com/
                    Last edited by .270; 04-12-2018, 12:26 PM.

Comment

I stopped drinking anything with caffeine about 3 months ago. Try it out it will help. I can wake up no problem and go to sleep no problem now.

It is not easy though. First there's the headaches for 7-10 days. Then I was constantly hungry for almost a month. You will feel sluggish mid afternoon, but eventually it will become much easier.

Comment

Two things will help with this. One is more of an easy fix to get you going, one is more of a permanent fix.

First, the easy one. When the alarm goes off, stand up, put your hands on your hips and exhale as far as you can. Then out your hands on your head and inhale through the nose as deeply as you can. Then, repeat the exhale, except as the end of it bend over at the waist and touch your toes if you can. This will squeeze out any last bit of air. Then inhale through the nose as you stand back up. Repeat three times, and you will be wide awake. The sudden surge of oxygen to the brain and the focus on breathing vs focusing on how much it sux to be awake will get your brain going and get rid of the exhaustion feeling.

Long term fix. Your wake up time may be during a deep sleep cycle. Changing the wake up time to align with when you are in a lighter stage of sleep will eliminate the “woken from hibernation” feeling and will make it easier to get up. Go to bed a little earlier or wake up a little earlier and find the point in your sleep cycle that works for you. Might take some experimentation but it does work. I am in a natural light sleep pattern at 4:15, so waking up then to go hunting or fishing is super easy. Sleeping until 5:15 is complete torture because I am back in a deep sleep cycle with the extra hour of sleep.

Comment

Loving this thread! sub'd

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                            Mental, nothing more imo. If tomorrow you had to meet me at a 7k acre ranch, so I could give you the keys to the gate and a couple million $$, there would be no sluggish morning
                            Hypnosis would be my suggestion.
                            And if you were still sluggish the next morning, it's definetly mental .
                            I wouldn't even GO to sleep.

Comment

[QUOTE=LeanMachine;1330

I feel like it all ties back to caffeine dependency for me.[/QUOTE]

From what you described earlier I think you are right. I'll bet if you changed your routine and gave up energy drinks you will notice a big difference. This is coming from a guy who could drink 2-4 Red Bulls a day before I quit.

Comment

As has already been posted, lay off the energy drinks. Those are bad juju for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X