No announcement yet.

Neighbor wants us to help pay for his high fence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question I have is, how were the other sides handled? Did you help pay for them or were you even asked?

Comment

Originally posted by Timemachine View Post
      Since you have high fence on two side already, tell him you will pay for half of the high fence on your OTHER property line (not the one between you and him) and keep your 175 inside the boundry of his High fence. 1175 acres of high fence is do-able.

tell him it's the "neighborly thing to do"
      I like that idea.

Comment

Nope. This sounds like an all around suck for you....

if my neighbor wants to split fence costs with me, we will be doing it when and how it's convenient for me. I'd probably build a wire low fence myself, so him asking you for even half the labor and materials for a low fence still isn't a good deal for you, especially since you weren't ready to do it right now.

I wouldn't even think about gettting built inside a high fence with someone who thinks like he does...

Comment

lol nope

Comment

We have a fairly large ranch and our neighbors decided to put up a high fence on one side of us. But he never asked us to pay anything. He only made it about 3/4 of a mile, maybe a mile and didn't finish it. But since he has done that I have seen an increase in deer numbers in that specific area on our place. I wouldn't pay for it either, you did the neighborly thing in my opinion.

Comment

Around here neighbors usually go in on a fence and the bulldozed tree/brush piles get split between the two properties.

If one neighbor declines to participate in paying for it he usually takes all the brush piles.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbar View Post
                Around here neighbors usually go in on a fence and the bulldozed tree/brush piles get split between the two properties.

If one neighbor declines to participate in paying for it he usually takes all the brush piles.
                yeah right you leave trash like that on my land we gonna have problems

Comment

Originally posted by LWD View Post
                  This. Ask him how a high fence is neighborly.

LWD
                  +1

Comment

Since you have high fence on two side already, tell him you will pay for half of the high fence on your OTHER property line (not the one between you and him) and keep your 175 inside the boundry of his High fence. 1175 acres of high fence is do-able.

I'd bet the neighbor won't agree to that for some reason

Comment

Since you have high fence on two side already,
                      According to the very first post, the OP has a high fence on one side now. The neighbor that asked the OP to pay for half for "the new high fence", will be on 2 sides of his 175 acre tract.
                      My question is, which side is the high fence on now?
                      OP has already stated the new fence would be on the south and west side. Just wondering if this new fence would tie into the high fence already there?

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                        Just say no if you don't want a high fence. The only problem is, if you ever do decide to fence the place completely, you are going to have a problem tying in the corners if he insets the new fence.
                        I would think that he could just put in an H post next to the high fence and never touch the other guys fence and still fence his property. If the guy pulls his new fence off the property line just put up a hot wire until your ready to build your own fence. Either way with only 175 acres and high fenced on three sides a persons deer count will be very limited.
                        Last edited by clintb; 08-12-2017, 09:28 AM.

Comment

I'd let him know it's not "neighborly" to high fence you out, pound sand homie. Or I like the other option of paying for half of the high fence to include you inside the 1175 acres high fence, of course that'll never happen

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
                            yeah right you leave trash like that on my land we gonna have problems
                            That's how it works around here too everyone pays something one way or another. Don't want either I'd pull my fence off the property line and not let the other guy tie in.

Comment

I guess my question to the neighbor would be do "I" (OP) get hunt inside the fence if I pay half?!?

Better yet, offer to contribute to the fence if he includes OP's property inside the high fence. The OP can still maintain a low/cow fence to keep his cattle off the neighbor's land.

If the neighbor declines either or both offers, decline to contribute to HIS fence.

Comment

My buddy did this and it worked out well, but he and the neighbor really are good friends

Comment

Working...
                                X