No announcement yet.

THE Official Twin Buttes Reservoir Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you can count me in on the advocacy! i'll be more than happy to voice my recent experiences. as far as the removal of hunting equipment goes, i really feel they are targeting hunters specifically... almost like someone has a grudge against us. why else would they be removing people's tree stands, and not picking up the abandoned tires right next to them?

please keep me informed to anything that goes on.

Comment

My job stinks, but I have job so I'll keep it for now.

Can't come this weekend hopefully next weekend.

SAB, I would be interested in the support group. I am ancious to hunt out there and also want to be up to date on the rules and regs.

Later, Stoney

Comment

Hey guys thanks for the support! I just left the Lake and Parks Police HQ and spoke briefly with them about these very issues. The Commander was out to lunch the the guy that distributes info to the public gave me a official memo as to the regards of the Tree stands and blinds, feeders issue, so I will post very soon after I get it scanned. He is also emailing me a copy of the Twin Buttes Elk Herd ordinance that I will post as well.

The Concho Valley Hunters Advocacy IS official now and we are registered with the IRS and will be seeking some local and state sponsorship funds to create the informative website and pay for legal fees for the non-profit exemption we need to file.

I will be purchasing out of pocket for some Mossy Oak and Real Tree t-shirts for the first dozen or so members that wish to help out in the creation of our group "Constitution" that needs to be filed with the Tax Exemption application that makes us really official with the feds. So far we have the EIN number so we can accept contibutions for funding. I have a logo already made up that I believe is fitting since the elk issue is what got the ball rolling around here. I'll post that in a bit as well. Thanks again!

Comment

Here's the temp. group logo (send better if anyones a graphix guy please)

Here's the OFFICIAL memo concerning Blinds, Tree stand, and Feeders at TBR:

The letter reads as follows:

Wednesday, October 07, 2009 3:59 PM

When visiting with the public on blinds please inform them that if they leave a blind at Twin Buttes it is abandoned property and is the same as illegal dumping (lake operations have to clean the mess up every year just as do brush or any other thing that is dumped). They need to be encouraged to use pop-up blinds that they can carry in and out of the field.

Please also remind them that it is ILLEGAL to cut trees and vegetation to make blinds out of.

Feeders left will be treated the same as blinds left. they too are abandoned property. They should be encouraged to hand broadcast feed just like at the State Parks.

Randy Harris Commander
          San Angelo Lake & Park Police

I.E. Tree stands are also considered as blinds for all purposes concerned.

I'd like to add that I dont agree with the policy but untill we can get some sort of dialouge with those recommending these rules we will abide by them. We will be working on a policy such as the State Parks where you have up to 48hrs to leave stands and blinds as long as they are tagged with name date address, etc.

This is but one reason WHY we have started this CVHA to help us have a voice in matters that concern us all. Please get involved even if its just to give suggestion on policy, help us write our by laws, mission statement, and groups Constitution.

Thanks guys! We are doing this for YOU!

Rob Sparks - CVHA President

Comment

This is what the above reads, and notice this is ALL of what is being handed out by the city and what is posted on the internet. Notice nothing is mentioned about the felony and imprisonment for shooting an Elk or the stance on blinds and feeders, etc. :

HUNTING: Ordinance chapter 9.108. (c)

1. It shall be unlawful to hunt with a bow or hunt with or fire a firearm upon, along, across, or from any part of the waters or land of Lake Nasworthy, Twin Buttes Reservoir or any other waters or lands owned or controlled by the city except:

(a) at the Tom Flowers Law Enforcement Training Academy; and

(b) with a bow or shotgun, (no slugs), in the areas specifically designated
            by signs posted by the city, which areas are moregenerally
            designated by the maps on Exhibit "A" whcich are attatched
            and incorporated by reference.

2. Special permits valid for a specified period of time and a specified area may be granted by the city council for persons using firearms in the control
            of rodents, varmints, or destructive predators.

Comment

TTT Please read this stuff if you ever plan to hunt in Tom Green County

Comment

Be careful guys, be friendly and make the city known that y'all are their advocate to help solve any problems and work them from there. Go in it angry and calling city officials out, you could have the city decide on a permit draw or worse just wash their hands of it and deny hunting all together. Good luck. Hope it all works out.

Comment

Originally posted by JvT View Post
                  Be careful guys, be friendly and make the city known that y'all are their advocate to help solve any problems and work them from there. Go in it angry and calling city officials out, you could have the city decide on a permit draw or worse just wash their hands of it and deny hunting all together. Good luck. Hope it all works out.

WE ARE VERY MUCH BEING THE ADVOCATES HERE. The above information is being posts so that peole are informed as this info is NOT posted anywhere elseto let visitors know of local specific rules. As you can see there is the NEED for this. The city themselves DO understand this as THEY are the ones that gave me the above documents and I informed them at that time I would pass the info along. Thanks for your concern. Have you had an issue like this in your area?

Thanks

rob

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter_Man View Post
                    SAB,

I'll be giving you a ring later on in the week. For now, i may hunt one more time out at area 2, but i'm not bringing any of my stuff out there to set up.

I do have a MULE that we can use if you want to show me around out there sometime. I think i know my way around areas 2, part of 3, and 4, but a lot of the other areas i've never even been to. area 7?? is that the part that is by the huge overflow where the jeep trails are? is there actually any deer out there? area 4 seems promising, but last year i saw a TON of people out there. i set up by some scrapes last year and had no less than 15 people drive within 200 yds of me.

anyways, i've got your number. i'll give you a call by friday... maybe we can take a drive out there saturday or something?
                    Daniel?

No call buddy?

Comment

sorry SAB, i was really busy this weekend. Work and kids have me up to my ears. I didn't even get a chance to go out there this past week!

So what is the rules in regards to the Elk heard out there? I was told 2 different stories. a city official told me they were illegal to shoot. the game warden told me it wasn't because they were considered exotics and there was no city oridinance guiding what can be shot on the TBR land.

i do not intend on shooting them, but i have found 2 carcasses in the past 4 weeks, so someone is.

do you have guidance yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter_Man View Post
                        sorry SAB, i was really busy this weekend. Work and kids have me up to my ears. I didn't even get a chance to go out there this past week!

So what is the rules in regards to the Elk heard out there? I was told 2 different stories. a city official told me they were illegal to shoot. the game warden told me it wasn't because they were considered exotics and there was no city oridinance guiding what can be shot on the TBR land.

i do not intend on shooting them, but i have found 2 carcasses in the past 4 weeks, so someone is.

do you have guidance yet?
                        I was promised an email with official copy of new ordinance but have not yet received, BUT....I have been told by the L&PP that its a $4k fine and up to a year imprisonent, and up to 5 yrs. loss of hunting rights.

Their IS an existing law against the shooting of exotics on TBR. They are considering them selves as the "Land Owners" which in that case you need permission before shooting or its a crime in the matter of exotics.

Comment

wow... they need to communicate this to the game wardens then. The game warden just told me, in person, 2 weeks ago that the Elk are exotics and they are fair game, although the owner of the elk would "prefer that you don't shoot them".

Just out of curiousity, can the lake and park police enforce game laws? I thought that was the jurisdiction of the Game Warden? are they properly trained?

And where are the "legal" species of animals that can be hunted on the TBR listed? I just want to make sure everything i'm shooting out there is legal. are varmints legal? Dove? Quail? I want to see something so I'm not breaking any laws. Everyone has told me there's rules, but i'm yet to see them in writing.

Comment

I have my first meeting with the City Manager down at City Hall this morning. Wish me luck! I'll update later today

Comment

wow, i've been calling the city manager's office literally every day for 2 weeks, and haven't been able to get a call back, or a meeting scheduled. it's always "they're in a meeting".

good job man!

so how'd it go?

Comment

Typical city official behavior!

Comment

Working...
                                X