Need a Custom Knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a Custom Knife

Going on an elk hunt this year and was wanting to have a local TBH custom knife maker build me either a nice skinning knife or a nice kitchen knife to give to my guide as a gift. If anyone would like to pm me some ideas and prices that would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

JP

For a gift Chops is the way to go

Comment

Pretty sure guides get lots of knives as gifts. He probably can use that same money in the form of a prepaid credit card more. Not to be rude or anything, just a fact of life. Guides in fishing and hunting generally have the gear they need and want. They're doing it cause they love it after all. He probably would appreciate two-three tanks worth of gas more.

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
        Pretty sure guides get lots of knives as gifts. He probably can use that same money in the form of a prepaid credit card more. Not to be rude or anything, just a fact of life. Guides in fishing and hunting generally have the gear they need and want. They're doing it cause they love it after all. He probably would appreciate two-three tanks worth of gas more.
        I have heard the same thing before. They would prefer the cash over an expensive knife.

Comment

Now the counter point to that would be a Lin Rhea Bowie...

No clue what one of those puppies would cost.

Comment

Originally posted by JTCowpoke View Post
            I have heard the same thing before. They would prefer the cash over an expensive knife.
            I have spent quite a bit of time with guides and as normal we get to talking about this and that, and most guides are always needing other things besides knives, binos or a bottle of liquor. I always tip them in cash and I know they appreciate that. Never have seen a rich guide.

Comment

I think a gift card too, never have cash, double arrow on here made best knife I ever owned
              Last edited by whitetailfanatic; 08-07-2018, 06:39 PM.

Comment

You might be surprised. My first hunt in Alaska two guides were all about the custom knife I was using. When it’s their money they typically go cheap as they can with good enough quality and would appreciate a solid custom knife they can still use. That being said I would still give cash along with the gift

Comment

I’ll second the cash/gc. They have bills to pay and don’t make a bunch guiding. If it was a good friend/family member doing it as a favor it would be a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bmac View Post
                    I’ll second the cash/gc. They have bills to pay and don’t make a bunch guiding. If it was a good friend/family member doing it as a favor it would be a different story.

I guess I should have been more specific. That is basically the case.

Comment

I can promise you if I walked up to either one of the 2 guys who end up being my guide they’d absolutely refuse any cash I tried to give them. That’s the reason I’d like to go this route as it will be harder for them to refuse.

Comment

Check out Chop's mammoth tooth folder....it's purdy! In the classifieds

Comment

You need a big boy like this, to match the size of an elk (not offering to sale just an idea). STIC or Chops both make pretty knives and would not disappoint.

Comment

Originally posted by johnpaul View Post
                            I can promise you if I walked up to either one of the 2 guys who end up being my guide they’d absolutely refuse any cash I tried to give them. That’s the reason I’d like to go this route as it will be harder for them to refuse.
                            For that kind of deal, I like Chops knives. I bought one off of him a few months ago. He has some for sale on THF and TBH.

Comment

My wife gave me a chops knife and I cannot say enough about it awesome, I gave my guide in Colorado a custom knife in 96, I ran into him again in 2005 he was carrying it on his side it made me feel great about it. He said he used it more than anything else he had. So I guess it depends on the person.

Comment

Working...
                              X