No announcement yet.

Hunting Accuracy/Proficiency ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I came very close to killing one of my wife’s pet chickens shooting at my 3D deer from 30yds. So that’s definitely not a shot I should attempt on a live animal!

Comment

Let's not get side tracked.

The 9" plate - Is it, or is it not proficient ability in accuracy for hunting?

Rick

Comment

If you're talking about shots from a target stance, with a warmup, 9" is not adequate. But, if you can jog up to your shooting position, pick up your bow and put the first arrow into a 9" paper plate, or sit at your shooting position and put the first arrow in, or kneel, or shoot standing on uneven ground. In other words, if you can put that first arrow into a 9" paper plate from a given distance, under any conditions, I think that is hunting accuracy for that distance.

Here are some top of back to bottom of brisket estimates for other common North American game animals taken from various sources, but primarily from Jack O'Connor's book The Hunting Rifle:
        •Pronghorn antelope = 14"-15"
        •Small deer = 14"-15"
        •Medium size deer = 17"-18"
        •Large deer = 18"-20"
        •North American wild sheep = 20"-22"
        •Mountain goat = 22"-24"
        •Caribou = 24"-26"
        •Elk = 24"-26"
        •Moose = 30"-36"

Given those external body measurements, here are some estimated "vital area circle" diameters that roughly correspond to the approximate (heart/lung) target area:
        •Pronghorn antelope = 8.5"-9"
        •Small deer = 8.5"-9"
        •Medium size deer = 10"-11"
        •Large deer = 11"-12"
        •North American wild sheep = 12"-13"
        •Mountain goat = 13"-14.5"
        •Caribou = 14.5"-15.5"
        •Elk = 14.5"-15.5"
        •Moose = 18"-21.5"

One thing that those numbers show us is that ordinary 9" economy paper plates can be used to simulate the size of the target that the deer and pronghorn hunter needs to be able to hit. These make inexpensive targets.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
          If you're talking about shots from a target stance, with a warmup, 9" is not adequate. But, if you can jog up to your shooting position, pick up your bow and put the first arrow into a 9" paper plate, or sit at your shooting position and put the first arrow in, or kneel, or shoot standing on uneven ground. In other words, if you can put that first arrow into a 9" paper plate from a given distance, under any conditions, I think that is hunting accuracy for that distance.

Here are some top of back to bottom of brisket estimates for other common North American game animals taken from various sources, but primarily from Jack O'Connor's book The Hunting Rifle:
          •Small deer = 14"-15"
          •Large deer = 18"-20"
          •Mountain goat = 22"-24"
          •Caribou = 24"-26"
          •Elk = 24"-26"
          •Moose = 30"-36"

Given those external body measurements, here are some estimated "vital area circle" diameters that roughly correspond to the approximate (heart/lung) target area:
          •Small deer = 8.5"-9"
          •Large deer = 11"-12"
          •Caribou = 14.5"-15.5"
          •Elk = 14.5"-15.5"
          •Moose = 18"-21.5"

One thing that those numbers show us is that ordinary 9" economy paper plates can be used to simulate the size of the target that the deer and pronghorn hunter needs to be able to hit. These make inexpensive targets.
          Agree, except I can actually shoot better when setting, and even when kneeling as long as my knees are padded.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post

•Small deer = 14"-15"
            •Large deer = 18"-20"
            •Mountain goat = 22"-24"
            •Caribou = 24"-26"
            •Elk = 24"-26"
            •Moose = 30"-36"

•Small deer = 8.5"-9"
            •Large deer = 11"-12"
            •Caribou = 14.5"-15.5"
            •Elk = 14.5"-15.5"
            •Moose = 18"-21.5"

Great factual information, Phillip! Particularly valuable assessment, as well, knowing that you have taken animals with trad equipment all over the world!

Comment

Is the 9 inch plate over the vitals or his ***?

Comment

I would not be happy if I was all over a 9” circle at 20yds. And I’m shooting that bad these days! I have only shot a handful of critters in all the time I have been doing this at 20 or farther.

My biggest fear is missing high. If I miss high by 3”, and the critters drops 3”, that makes my point of impact 6” high, and that can often lead to a lost critter!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

So let me add to the question.

IF, you were required to take a test on a 9" paper plate with the following criteria:

"Penalized" for the occasional bad shot we all have them, but with the ability to make it up.

20 arrows / From 20 yards.

As you see here scored 5, 4, 3, but a negative 2 for a miss, and a minimum allowed score of 60 points.

Could you pass it?

Rick
                  Attached Files

Comment

I know of at least one guy who can pass it.
                    He just recently did, and and he ain't me.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                      What I would tell folks is.......
                      Take your 3-D target and lean it against your wife's car.
                      The distance you are willing to shoot at it is a safe distance to shoot at deer

I my younger days I traveled for a living.
                      I used to put a bag target against the bathroom mirror in the hotel room and shoot at it to practice my form.
                      That will make you slow down and make good shots as well
                      My distance just shrank from 15 yards to 3. Thanks Marty !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                        Marty is mean, and BRUTALLY Honest.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                          LOL!! I don't ever drive my wife's car. I'm good out to 500 yards.

Comment

Hunting Accuracy/Proficiency ?

Before 6/11/16 (the day I jacked up my neck and left radial nerve), I have no doubt I could have passed that test. Now, I would have to do it to see if I could pass or not? I know of several folks who I’m sure could pass it with no problem.

I can see the reasoning for proficiency tests. They just don’t translate to the woods real well. Lots of folks make bad/dumb decisions once there is a live critter in front of them!!!

And..........**it happens to even the best every once in a while!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            Last edited by Bisch; 02-14-2018, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Nope

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                                How many believe the 9" paper plate thing is a fair assessment for adequate hunting proficiency?

Rick
                                With a bow, no.

with a rifle on an elk at 300 yds, yes. On a deer at 100 yards, no way. Especially the little deer in Texas.

Comment

Working...
                                X