Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't get service at the lease? Use a prepaid phone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
    How does that work exactly?
    I purchased the AT&T phone at Best Buy. $68 or something. To activate it each month it cost $32. If I do not use it then I do not pay. You can roll your Verizon phone number to your AT&T phone when you are in an area that does not have Verizon service. *72 and your AT&T number. To deactivate it you simply hit *73 and the calls revert to your Verizon phone. I do this so I can still receive my business calls, calls from Family, etc. When I drive back in to a Verizon area I turn my AT&T phone off completely.

Comment

Matt I was in your same situation. I use Verizon at home but AT&T gets the best service at my lease in Brady. The first two years on this lease I just went off the grid while there, but that's not always the smartest thing to do if I'm there alone. On the way to the lease one day I pulled into an AT&T store and bought a $50 Motorola go phone and auto bill it to my credit card for $40/month. I can turn it on or off month to month. It is a smart phone so I can text, email, browse etc. Makes me wonder sometimes why I pay $100/month for virtually the same service on my iphone... Not to mention $700 for the phone!

Comment

I have Verizon and in South Texas and the hill country have almost zero service. I bought an At&t go phone that I pay a monthly plan on for the soul purpose of being able to be in contact with my friends out there. One of the places I hunt is 25k acres and 45 minutes to the nearest dirt road. For $45 a month I have the peace of mind that if something was to happen to me I could at least get in touch with someone to attempt to save myself. I keep it activated from August til February. It’s one of those things that seems like an unnecessary expense until you actually need it.

Comment

I had that situation once for work. I just bought an AT&T phone and paid for my minutes. It didn't hurt that the girl I had to get my minutes from was really hot.

Comment

As others have said AT&T works in that area. Consumer cellular is cheap and has access to all their towers, that's who I use. I even started getting 4G when they put a tower near my lease which is in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

I had to buy a 10 dollar tmobile prepaid phone to use at my place in centerville. Rolled a tractor over and almost got stuck under in it. Went and got the phone soon after. Now my att contract finally ended and I switched to tmobile.

Comment

I used to love that about my lease in Hamilton. Service absolutely dropped to zero at our gate. You just drive through the gate and leave the rest of the world behind. I'd walk to the other side of the gate for the evening call to wifey.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                  We get service at our ranch but I get ZERO service at the lease. I hunt by myself often and that's not a good combo. Does anyone buy a prepaid phone or a cheap phone from another carrier?

I have Verizon. Have to as it's the only carrier that gets service where I work. Lease is between Brady and Mason. I'd obviously like data and texting but don't want to spend a fortune. Anyone else have the same situation?
                  Buy a delorme that hooks up to you iphone. Best thing i have ever bought. Sucks mine got stolen.

Comment

ATT Go Phone, I've been using for years, without a problem.
                    You pay $25.00 to refill your account, and it's .25 cents a minute. You can roll over unused minutes if you refill before expiration date, so it usually runs me $25.00 a month on average if I use it a lot. It's not for you if you like to chat, only use it for a minute or two and hangup.
                    I've been all over and never lost service yet.
                    It's saved my bacon a few times personally as well, and when wife had an emergency and needed me back pronto.
                    Last edited by Jimbo47; 12-02-2017, 03:31 AM.

Comment

I have an AT&T go phone. I can put money on the account and get charged $2 per day if I use the phone that day. No charge if I don’t use it the days I’m not there.
                      It’s only text and phone, no internet.

It’s been great

Comment

I got an at&t smartphone gophone for $30 and paid $60 for unlimited everything for a month. Used it in barksdale while I was up there last week.

Comment

been thru t mobile,version and my att, now works in burnet county and mexico!

Comment

I hunted about the first 30 years of my hunting career with no cell service anywhere. The reason we didn't have any service is because cell phones didn't exist.

We would leave home for two weeks headed to Colorado or Wyoming, kiss the wife goodbye and except for maybe a long distance phone call..... if we could find a pay phone in town....we would not talk to her or anyone else back home until we got home.

I remember driving 30 miles one way to use the pay phone in Alcova, Wyoming. There was only one pay phone in town and sadly I found it was out of order. Ended up going to the little one man police station. The officer there let me make a collect call on their old dial phone. Sixty mile round trip for a 5 minute call. Luckily I got an answer because we did not have voice mail or answering machines back then either.

Man. We have gotten soft. Now we can't go five minutes without texting someone or checking the internet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                              I hunted about the first 30 years of my hunting career with no cell service anywhere. The reason we didn't have any service is because cell phones didn't exist.

We would leave home for two weeks headed to Colorado or Wyoming, kiss the wife goodbye and except for maybe a long distance phone call..... if we could find a pay phone in town....we would not talk to her or anyone else back home until we got home.

I remember driving 30 miles one way to use the pay phone in Alcova, Wyoming. There was only one pay phone in town and sadly I found it was out of order. Ended up going to the little one man police station. The officer there let me make a collect call on their old dial phone. Sixty mile round trip for a 5 minute call. Luckily I got an answer because we did not have voice mail or answering machines back then either.

Man. We have gotten soft. Now we can't go five minutes without texting someone or checking the internet.

Ain't it the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post

Gotten soft? Not hardly. I'll be just fine on my own. But it's worth the piece of mind.

Also, folks used to build scopes that didn't break all the time. Welcome to 2017. Cell phone needed and vortex is here

Comment

Working...
                                X