Backyard shed metal or wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backyard shed metal or wood

I am looking at a storage shed for the yard to help with the clutter in my garage. I can put a building under 100 sq ft without any city permitting and I do not have an HOA. I have a slab that will fit a 8x10 building fairly well. I have looked at the Tuff Shed 8x10. This is about $1700 painted and delivered. I have also looked at the Chaparral metal skinned building. It has wood framing and it is the same price. I am concerned with durability and quality of construction. Ideally I want something that I can move if I buy land or sell if I leave the area. I had considered building one but the material cost will be over $1,000 and will take me many days. I would be working for real cheap and probably not doing as good of a job.

I have also seen the Mueller backyard buildings. The only one they sell under 100 sq ft is a 6x9 that will be roughly $1550 delivered and I will have to assemble. It is not on skids and I would have to set that up when I built it.

Any insight would be helpful.
    Last edited by thegrouse; 04-18-2018, 11:24 AM.

I'm in the same boat. I've been looking at Affordable Wood Sheds

Comment

Doesn't look like they come all the way out here. I looked at the Tuff Shed and the Chaparral in person. I can't say I am real impressed with their quality. I may try to build one knowing that I will be paying myself less than minimum wage to do it.

Comment

I built a 16x10 in the backyard for less than $1500. No concrete, raised pier and beam type floor. Took me a couple of weekends to complete, but it's been worth it to me. Most of the prefabbed buildings aren't built as sturdy for the money. IMO.

Comment

Build one. All those cheap sheds are just that, cheap sheds.

Comment

I just complied a material list for an 8x10 using Home Depot and Lowe's for pricing. It will be $1200 in materials. I can fix just about anything but building has never been my strong point. I am considering doing it as a learning experience and maybe a chance to let my boys see me lose my cool and yell for a few days The cost effective solution is to buy one.

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
              I built a 16x10 in the backyard for less than $1500. No concrete, raised pier and beam type floor. Took me a couple of weekends to complete, but it's been worth it to me. Most of the prefabbed buildings aren't built as sturdy for the money. IMO.
              That was the feeling i got looking at them. I know enough about construction to know what a shiner is when nailing down sheeting. If I pay 2k for a shed I would expect it to be done right. I think I am dreaming though...

Comment

IMO if I were building or having built in a suburban setting I would go with the wood type due it fitting into its surrounding environment. For durability and moving in the future IMO the metal skin would be better. For the money or trouble it would take to move it would it really be worth it?

Comment

Metal sheds “sweet” especially small ones
                  Call Chris Lynd at Ulrich in Venus TX, he can get you a new or re-po she’d or a custom cabin,

Comment

I got a derksen after lots of shopping.

Comment

Originally posted by sticks View Post
                      Metal sheds “sweet” especially small ones
                      Call Chris Lynd at Ulrich in Venus TX, he can get you a new or re-po she’d or a custom cabin,
                      Those look similar to what I have been shopping. They are $500 or so more expensive and delivery would be pretty steep. I hit Lowe's tonight and checked out their stuff but same level of quality as the others.

Comment

Originally posted by Bear Charge View Post
                        I got a derksen after lots of shopping.
                        I talked to them today on the phone. The man here told me they do not make a 8x10 in metal. There website is fairly confusing.

Comment

Anything but the junk from Home Depot or Lowes.
                          I am in the process of putting up an enclosed Mueller 12x21 Backyard bldg to replace a 12x20 carport shed. Gonna cost me about $4k. Gotta get a permit and have a survey done before I can erect it. For the $$$ Mueller is your best prefab building. If you go metal hurry up before the price goes up again. Mueller's original quote to me was only good for a week and then went up 10%.

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
                            IMO if I were building or having built in a suburban setting I would go with the wood type due it fitting into its surrounding environment. For durability and moving in the future IMO the metal skin would be better. For the money or trouble it would take to move it would it really be worth it?
                            I think you are right. A typical metal style building would probably stick out in my neighborhood even though it will be in my back yard and can't be seem from the street or over my fence. Hard to say if I will ever move it. I just hate spending money on something like this unless I feel it is not all wasted. Just the way my mind works.

Comment

Well I decided to take the plunge. I am not much of a builder. I once tried to build a dog house but quit half way through and bought one at War-Mart. Time will tell if I made a mistake. I do have tools and friends that will let me borrow their tools. I know how to read a tape measure and cut a straight line. After looking at many buildings I have decided my horrible construction skills are on par with the skills of those who would be building my shed. I decided to make an 8x12. I anticipate the cost will be roughly $1300. I am going into this knowing it will not be worth it to build it myself. I am hoping to learn some construction skills and spend quality time with my boys. I plan on building the trusses tomorrow. I have a busy two weeks coming up. Hopefully I can get a few hours in tomorrow and maybe 1 or 2 days this week for an hour or so. Anyone else considering learning to build a shed can use this to help in their decision to build their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                              Last edited by thegrouse; 04-21-2018, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X