• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the info

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
      I believe so.
      I saw the new regs and its almost like...do what ya want. Unless Im mistaken.

Comment

What regulations are changing for MLD?

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
          What regulations are changing for MLD?
          Follow link

Comment

Back on track now with some more info....

This time of year can, and is, just as critical as any other for WTD. Right now, bucks are in probably their worst body condition and dropping antlers. Does are about 3.5 months from dropping fawns. Nutrition is a major factor right now more than ever. Bucks body conditions must be brought back up to "normal" to ensure maximum potential for a good start to new antler growth. Does need the same to help keep their body conditions up for fawn development.

Now, all that being said, if you are just now feeding to help with these issues, you're way behind the 8 ball. I hear and see a lot of people that only feel the need to supplemental feed protein during the summer months for antler growth. While that is a critical time, year round availability of both quality native and supplemental feed is just as, if not more, important. Keeping deer in their best body conditions all year long is extremely important for antler and fawn production, mortality reduction from post rut stress and a host of other things. Don't be they guy that just feeds corn after September...

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post

This time of year can, and is, just as critical as any other for WTD. Right now, bucks are in probably their worst body condition and dropping antlers. Does are about 3.5 months from dropping fawns. Nutrition is a major factor right now more than ever. Bucks body conditions must be brought back up to "normal" to ensure maximum potential for a good start to new antler growth. Does need the same to help keep their body conditions up for fawn development.

Now, all that being said, if you are just now feeding to help with these issues, you're way behind the 8 ball. I hear and see a lot of people that only feel the need to supplemental feed protein during the summer months for antler growth. While that is a critical time, year round availability of both quality native and supplemental feed is just as, if not more, important. Keeping deer in their best body conditions all year long is extremely important for antler and fawn production, mortality reduction from post rut stress and a host of other things. Don't be they guy that just feeds corn after September...
              This is very true. I think one reason the deer in our area tends to be better than average is all the wheat fields in the area, Including ours. The deer stay fat.

Comment

I have a pass-through property. I try to feed corn all year around.

Approximately what would it cost me to feed protein also?

Comment

Originally posted by XBowHunter View Post
                  I have a pass-through property. I try to feed corn all year around.

Approximately what would it cost me to feed protein also?
                  How much land do you have? Since your property is a pass through property you may consider planting some permanent. Personally I am going to planting about 50-75 honey suckle plants.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                    How much land do you have? Since your property is a pass through property you may consider planting some permanent. Personally I am going to planting about 50-75 honey suckle plants.
                    22 acres

I have planted some sawtooth oak trees that are 4-5 feet high. They are three or four years old and should start producing acorns in another 4-5 years.

I planted a nice little soybean plot but it got flooded out. Need to work on another food plot further away from the creek

Comment

Cost of protein will vary greatly depending on brand and actual protein percentage as well as mineral content. You can run protein timed as well. Doesn't have to always be free choice, although that is preferred. As mentioned, try planting things such as the mentioned honeysuckle, fruit trees, plots such as peas and wheat. All depends on your property layout and available ground to work with.

Comment

Cost of protein will vary greatly depending on brand and actual protein percentage as well as mineral content. You can run protein timed as well. Doesn't have to always be free choice, although that is preferred. As mentioned, try planting things such as the mentioned honeysuckle, fruit trees, plots such as peas and wheat. All depends on your property layout and available ground to work with.

Thanks

Do have some winter wheat fields around here, but they don't plant wheat every year

Comment

Thank you for this thread, good info. We try to keep 10% of our property in year round food plots or around 15 acres in small plots. Lots of work and cost to do it , but something I really enjoy doing. when you tell of the good native food in the E Texas area, I have to agree and I think there are some really nice bucks here. It's just that you wont see many of them out and around as they travel at night mostly lol

Comment

What happened? Ok, just a little quickie for today....

Deer as a rule won't eat anything with blue or purple flowers. Keep that in mind right now while looking at the landscape thinking you have a lot of good forbs....

Comment

Except for Dayflower, Venus Looking Glass, Tahoka Daisy, to name a few off the top of my head.

Comment

Add Wine Cup to that list of purple flowering forbs they will eat. Very high protein also.

Comment

Working...
                                X