No announcement yet.

38 acre land management advice/help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great thread. I've got 21 acres near centerville. More ideas than money! When you get time can you send me a PM about your pond quotes and the size you were looking at

Comment

Sorry to hear about your dad. RIP.
      I suggest that you not get in a hurry. Spend some time out there just standing and looking and visualize what you want it to look like.
      Once you start cutting you can't undo that.
      Timber prices are kind of soft right now anyway.
      Good deal on the extra acreage. My wife wasn't too impressed with some of the places that you have to drive by to get there.
      My plan was to use the money from the timber cutting to put into building the lake.
      I have a 32HP tractor with a grapple for the front, along with a bucket, mower, etc. After a thinning, with that grapple you can move the tops and stuff around to put them where you want them and create some good small game habitat while they decompose.

Comment

We are making progress! The shipping container has been delivered and i got my tractor out there. I moved last week and will begin finishing out our cabin next week. Slowly but surely

Comment

pics.
          Attached Files

Comment

Question....when you had the dozer guy out you told him what to push over or he kind of knew what needed to be done? I have some acreage I would like to have some underbrush cleared to manage the wildlife. I have one spot on the land that is a natural funnel where the deer travel from one side of the road to the other. Would you guys leave this travel route alone or what? It's the only piece they can travel across for a long ways the rest is cleared pasture. Has some thick stuff in there but you can manuever around.

Comment

I would leave it. Maybe do some minor hand clearing out with loppers. The dozer guy we used was great. we marked some trees and told him what we wanted so he made it happen.

Comment

Any updates/success from the 2016-2017 season?

Comment

Cardinal - glad you posted something today, so this was bumped back up. Cool project to follow. Hope the OP has some successful updates from this hunting season.

Comment

Sorry to say that no hunting happened this season. I got my feeder up late and all i saw on camera was hogs. I did find some good rubs. Most of my free time was spent building and working on the cabin. I'll post pics when i can get to a camera.

Comment

Here is the kitchen and bathroom laid out. I got the electricity hooked up and wired. Now i have to run water pipes and call the spray foam guy. I'll post any game cam pics if anything good comes up.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Sorry for no updates. The Army has required my time but my folks and friends are keeping the place spruced up and enjoying it. Set up a feeder and camera and just a nocturnal doe right before the season, and a ton of pigs. This is what it looks like cleared out with just the Mexican plumb trees left and the container cabin at the wood line. (trying to get the picture to load) I should be making some progress in January. If anyone knows a good hand for hire I am going to need some help with welding a door on, adding a porch, finishing out the interior, and painting.

Comment

P
                          Attached Files

Comment

Way too many pigs. Thinking about fencing around the feeder so deer can jump it. Would that work?
                            Attached Files

Comment

Yes put a large feed pen maybe 10-11 hog panels in a circle. When i started the feeder at my place the hogs took over so i pened it and now pigs have all but disappeared.

Comment

Where are you located?

Comment

Working...
                                X