Digging a pond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Digging a pond

We have an area where an old creek/drainage area goes across a pasture and would like to dig a pond in that area to utilize the natural slopes and over flow into the down hill side of the drainage ditch. What is the typical cost for this type of work? The soil is not great and clay may be deep if present all so some type of lining may be required.

Tagged

Comment

Good luck finding some good work. My dad had one dug a month or so ago. Hasn't really rained so it hasn't filled in.

Comment

Depends on alot of factors.
        Call around and get some pricing.
        Its pretty easy to spend $20K on a pond.

Comment

That's what they did when they built this large pond on my lease. It's approximately 4 or 5 acres. I'm parked on a dam looking up Lobo Creek when I took this pic on my phone a couple months ago. The deepest portion is right at the dam, being about 10 foot. Most of it is about 4 though. No clay here. Guys on the lease say they haven't seen it dry in 4 years. Although it is starting to recede some. Could use a refill. Don't have a clue what it cost.
          Attached Files

Comment

This would be near San Diego and about 1-2 acres. Doesn’t need to be real deep as it will mostly be for the kids to do some fishing and for the animals to have a place to drink from.

Comment

I think it greatly depends on who does it and a lot of other factors. A one acre pond could cost anywhere from $6K to $20K.
              Last edited by 44mAG; 06-13-2018, 10:51 AM.

Comment

we were quoted 30K for less acre

Comment

All depends on bulldozer time. If you can sell some of the dirt to someone, it could pay for a couple extra hours.

Comment

www.pondboss.com is your friend... best source for ANYTHING pond-related.

Comment

Originally posted by hillcountryhunter View Post
                      This would be near San Diego and about 1-2 acres. Doesn’t need to be real deep as it will mostly be for the kids to do some fishing and for the animals to have a place to drink from.
                      I dig my ponds to 18'. Annual evaporation rate is about 8-9'
                      Hopefully the pond is in a good spot to catch as much runoff as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
                        I dig my ponds to 18'. Annual evaporation rate is about 8-9'
                        Hopefully the pond is in a good spot to catch as much runoff as possible.
                        There is an old well within about 100’ that I would like to have revamped and use to keep the pond level up if needed.

Comment

Figure $2.50 per yard. 1600 yards per acre-foot. So $4000 for every acre-foot.

Good number is $18-20K per surface acre without liner.

Comment

Originally posted by hillcountryhunter View Post
                            We have an area where an old creek/drainage area goes across a pasture and would like to dig a pond in that area to utilize the natural slopes and over flow into the down hill side of the drainage ditch
                            I have basically a square property in the hill country that is bisected by a dry creek (used to flow about 30 years ago) east to west. Had a 8 wheel tractor with a scrapper come in and dig out the pond and dam up the low side. I forgot how many hours I paid for but it was about $5Gs. So far the pigs and turkeys have found my water hole.

With that said I have had more than few old timers in the area tell me that it is too rocky to hold water, and that I will need to line with with bentonite which will be another $5Gs.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by batmaninja; 06-13-2018, 02:40 PM.

Comment

We’ve had 2 ponds built in last 5 years. One was 8 acres and one was 10. 95k for one and just over 100k for another. Ours are both about 25 feet deep at the deepest point. A lot of factors come into play. Do you have to bring in a liner,? Do you have good runoff. And one hiccup we had to deal with was daming a “named” creek. The state frowns upon it and TCEQ got involved. Good luck.

Also find someone who builds tanks and ponds don’t just hire someone who can operate a dozer or scraper

Comment

Working...
                              X