Which pistol caliber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
    I prefer the 9 over the .40. Too much hand shock with the 40 to shoot over and over...just too snappy for my taste. Now if you had said 9mm vs .45 it would've been a totally different answer
    I don't have a 9mm and haven't shot one in years but the "snappy" description is on that I have always heard most folks say is a con of the 40 over he 9mm. I have a XDm 40 compact and when I shoot it, I can see where the "snappy" description comes from. But without recent experience with a 9 I can't confirm I agree, but I do see where it could be that way. I have always noticed that 40 can get a little wild if you try to put a few on paper in a quick manner.

If I had to put 11 in an attacker as quick as I could, he would have a hole in his chest, his nose, his knee, missing pinky toe, no more baby making and probably missing a couple fingers and an ear lobe

Comment

Originally posted by Nelson View Post
      9mm or 45 for me in a 1911 or 2011 frame. Shot deer and pigs with a 9mm and it worked ok. 45 is a better choice at the ranch.

Access Google Drive with a Google account (for personal use) or Google Workspace account (for business use).

I am so ready for pig season this year. Upgraded my 9mm
      That's a sweet looking pistol, I have always wanted to build a slick looking 1911 like that.

Comment

45 or 9. I love them both and carry both. I would say I probably carry the 9 a little more but not enough to call it my favorite. Glock 19 and Para Ordnance commander size aluminum frame 1911.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The obvious awnser is to marry the two... the 357sig

Comment

31 rounds of 9mm should bust up a group of pigs. Basically no recoil and the dot doesn't come off the glass. Pistol hunting is a great spring time sport.

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
              I don't have a 9mm and haven't shot one in years but the "snappy" description is on that I have always heard most folks say is a con of the 40 over he 9mm. I have a XDm 40 compact and when I shoot it, I can see where the "snappy" description comes from. But without recent experience with a 9 I can't confirm I agree, but I do see where it could be that way. I have always noticed that 40 can get a little wild if you try to put a few on paper in a quick manner.

If I had to put 11 in an attacker as quick as I could, he would have a hole in his chest, his nose, his knee, missing pinky toe, no more baby making and probably missing a couple fingers and an ear lobe
              He'd look like a walking (or maybe not-so-walking) sponge lol

Comment

Originally posted by Nelson View Post
                31 rounds of 9mm should bust up a group of pigs. Basically no recoil and the dot doesn't come off the glass. Pistol hunting is a great spring time sport.
                Yeah, but you said you were ready for "pig season". When did Texas go back to a "pig season"?

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                  Exactly what I was going to say. Love that round

Comment

For all practical applications, it's a 9 for me. I shoot the big stuff when I just wanna feel extra manly and make a bigger boom.

Comment

Pig season, months of march, April and May. We have dove season then deer season and quail season. During the spring we can concentrate on pigs before it's so hot outside that most pigs don't come out during the day.

Comment

This^^^^^is my duty weapon every day.

Comment

With modern self defense ammo, carry the weapon that you shoot well

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                            This^^^^^is my duty weapon every day.
                            38 super has long history of use without a bottle neck round that the 357 Sig has. I would buy a super over a Sig any day just for that reason. Reloading a Sig isn't fun. I tried it back in the day and ended up selling everything 357 sig. A guns cost is low compared to the cost of ammo. You can buy a super cartridge gun but it doesn't do any good if you can't afford to practice.

38 super and 9mm dominate practical pistol shooting. Guys are leaning more to the 9mm every year. You can easily have one pistol that will run 9mm and 38 super with just a barrel and spring change.

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
                              I am trying to thin the herd on my pistols and get into the same caliber, I am interested in bulk ammo buys. I like the 40 caliber myself. I feel the 9mm is the right choice just due to ammo. So which way do you go?
                              40 may cost more but is a more versatile caliber,,, i would not consider a 9 a woods carry gun,, and while the 40 is not the best it is certainly better because of heavier bullet weights available,,, for self defense either can be effective given the right bullet design

Comment

At one time I agreed with this but I can get +P+ 9mm rounds that rival .357 Sig and carry more of them. .357 Sig is becoming obsolete and is expensive to shoot.

Comment

Working...
                                X