No announcement yet.

TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh on some dogs an out command or such is very important. When mine get to the deer it becomes HER deer. We are still trying to get this worked out. She has been know to snap at people. Not bite but snap.

Comment

TEX kids of course. Mine is rotten, but the more they want to please you. The harder they will work.

Comment

Here is a link to an old thread when my dog found her first deer. It's long and listening to me trying to keep her pumped up is annoying, even to me, but this is the way we trained so when it was time to try the real thing I wanted to be consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
          [ATTACH]630224[/ATTACH]

We find some deer....

In my opinion the recent popularity of everyone owning their own tracking dog has made it hard for established dogs to get the tracks needed to further their experience and build confidence.

Most trackers don't charge NEAR what it cost to feed a dog for a year...
          You made me change my mind. I am going to make her a house dog now and put ribbons on her ears

Comment

I don't think anyone here is in it for the money.... Just my opinion

Comment

I can't believe Courtney and Rod have not posted yet, they are 2 of the best dog trainers I know and I wore them out when I first bought Bagley. I bet I called them at least once on every track I worked for the first dozen we did.

I will post a few of the things I have learned in the last 3 years with Bagley.

Try to put your dog on every track you can. The short ones help as much as the hard ones. I even dragged a few off a couple of hundred yards with a 4 wheeler when I first got her.

Don't be afraid to start over. Many times on a difficult track we will stop and pull out. Rest a few minutes and take some water. I have yet to have her not take up the track again.

I'm a big fan of working the track on a lead. If I was in south texas, I might look at it differantly but up here, I like to keep her under control and safe as best I can.

Try to keep everyone else away from you and your dog. Their nature is to be a pack animal. If you have someone the dog feels like is ahead of them on the track, they want to go to them . Much the same as coon dogs leap frog each other on a trail.

I try to not speak to my dog on a track. It distacts her alot as she thinks I'm wanting her to do something other than what she is already doing.

As far as tracking pigs and deer, Bagley has found Whitetails, hogs, Fallow, Axis, Sika, Blackbuck, Red deer, and all manner of Sheep and goats. If it is bleeding, she will track it..

Understand going in your not going to find them all. Some times they are just not dead.
              I have spent hours trailing a wounded animal that I just can't catch up to. Then see the animal again 3 or 4 days later still alive and well.

Thats all I have for now other than to say their is a lot of fun in working with a dog. It brings a lot of pleasure to show up and save the day for someone who has shot a deer and lost all hope of finding it.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	baglady6.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	24312811

Name:	bagley4.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	24312812
              Last edited by Buff; 06-26-2014, 03:50 AM.

Comment

Here she comes to save the day

Name:	bag23.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	24312813

Comment

Originally posted by huntingfanatic View Post

"Camo" my catahoula

Originally posted by ShockValue View Post

This is Jesse. She's about 16 weeks.

Picking up some blood and hide from keep this weekend.
                  I sure do like the face markings on both of those dogs.

Congrats on a handsome dog & pup!

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post

I can't believe Courtney and Rod have not posted yet, they are 2 of the best dog trainers I know and I wore them out when I first bought Bagley. I bet I called them at least once on every track I worked for the first dozen we did.

I will post a few of the things I have learned in the last 3 years with Bagley.

Try to put your dog on every track you can. The short ones help as much as the hard ones. I even dragged a few off a couple of hundred yards with a 4 wheeler when I first got her.

Don't be afraid to start over. Many times on a difficult track we will stop and pull out. Rest a few minutes and take some water. I have yet to have her not take up the track again.

I'm a big fan of working the track on a lead. If I was in south texas, I might look at it differantly but up here, I like to keep her under control and safe as best I can.

Try to keep everyone else away from you and your dog. Their nature is to be a pack animal. If you have someone the dog feels like is ahead of them on the track, they want to go to them . Much the same as coon dogs leap frog each other on a trail.

I try to not speak to my dog on a track. It distacts her alot as she thinks I'm wanting her to do something other than what she is already doing.

As far as tracking pigs and deer, Bagley has found Whitetails, hogs, Fallow, Axis, Sika, Blackbuck, Red deer, and all manner of Sheep and goats. If it is bleeding, she will track it..

Understand going in your not going to find them all. Some times they are just not dead.
                    I have spent hours trailing a wounded animal that I just can't catch up to. Then see the animal again 3 or 4 days later still alive and well.

Thats all I have for now other than to say there is a lot of fun in working with a dog.

It brings a lot of pleasure to show up and save the day for someone who has shot a deer and lost all hope of finding it.

Those are some great tips Marty. Thanks for taking the time out to post and let us in on some of the do's and don'ts when it comes to tracking dogs.

I hope Courtney & Rod chime in on the thread. We really appreciate & will put to use all the good advice we can get.

I have talked with Encinal about dragging a few deer with the Ranger just to make a longer track. That sounds like a great idea to me.

I never considered that talking to the dog while on track could distract them. Maybe I should just keep quiet and let the dog work…….

I think your last few lines speak for a lot of folks as to why they have, or are training a blood tracking dog Marty.

And the "HERE SHE COMES TO SAVE THE DAY!" pic is priceless.

Name:	Bagley 1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	24312819
                    Last edited by TUCO; 06-26-2014, 05:12 AM. Reason: Bagley Photo

Comment

My up and coming tracking dog. My last Catahoula retrieved doves as good as any dog around. Sure do miss her.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the advice Marty!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Bald Guy View Post

My up and coming tracking dog.

My last Catahoula retrieved doves as good as any dog around.

Sure do miss her.
                          Great looking pup.

My first Catahoula was the same was about retrieving birds OBG.

Comment

Originally posted by TUCO View Post
                            Great looking pup.

My first Catahoula was the same was about retrieving birds OBG.
                            My Hula dog went with me everywhere and never was gun shy. First day of dove season-she was about 6 months old- I had a dove fall in a fencerow. I wasn't paying her no mind was just trying to find and get my dove when she came out of the fencerow with my dove in her mouth. After that she retrieved birds for me until she got too old and sick to hunt anymore. Never did much care for the way she looked at me when I missed though.lol

Comment

Following for the "next" pup.

Would it be possible for you all to also name the breed of dog as well? So far I am leaning toward a cat or a lacy, just have a lot more other research to do before choosing.

Thanks.

Comment

Daisy just tracked my bacon and eggs all the way from the stove to the table. She's a natural.

Comment

Working...
                                X