Big Bowie WIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Bowie WIP

I've been working on a relatively close copy of the governor Bowie for an order. Here are some pics of the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know anything about making knives, so forgive my ignorance, but what's all over the blade in the 2nd pic?

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

What kind of steel are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
          I don't know anything about making knives, so forgive my ignorance, but what's all over the blade in the 2nd pic?

It’s a clay that prevents the heat from penetrating the metal as deeply versus the bare metal. It makes the spine softer and edge harder which makes an awesome knife!

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
            It’s a clay that prevents the heat from penetrating the metal as deeply versus the bare metal. It makes the spine softer and edge harder which makes an awesome knife!

Sierracharlie out…
            Looking great Jason!

Yes, It keeps the sine softer and "receives" a blow better. The orginial Bowies had a brass or soft casing over the spine for fighting so if you blocked a blow, it wouldn't break your blade. Hence, the hand guards as well.

This will be nice Jason, looking forward to seeing! I made one years back out of Damascus, brass guards and ironwood handles - this gives me the itch to put one in the works!

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
              Just WD 40 and grit slurry. Tried to make hand sanding interesting in a picture I've got a nice video of the final hand sanded blade, just need to upload it.

Steel is W2. There's a decent hamon in this blade, about 1/3 of the way from the spine, about 6" down the blade. Haven't etched it out yet. Still at least 2 more days worth of work on this knife, maybe 3.

Handle fittings are 1872 railroad rail wrought iron. There will be an 1836 silver half dollar in between, when I get to it. Fittings will be fluted and blued.

Comment

It should be extraordinary. Are you making this for somebody in particular?

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
                  Just WD 40 and grit slurry. Tried to make hand sanding interesting in a picture I've got a nice video of the final hand sanded blade, just need to upload it.

Steel is W2. There's a decent hamon in this blade, about 1/3 of the way from the spine, about 6" down the blade. Haven't etched it out yet. Still at least 2 more days worth of work on this knife, maybe 3.

Handle fittings are 1872 railroad rail wrought iron. There will be an 1836 silver half dollar in between, when I get to it. Fittings will be fluted and blued.

Sounds bad @$$ Jason. Wish I was on you level!

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by SamHarper View Post
                    It should be extraordinary. Are you making this for somebody in particular?
                    Yes, a customer of mine. I showed him the two blades before they were even heat treated, and he wanted the second one just like the governor's.

Comment

Now that's a knife!

Comment

https://youtu.be/GOx3-RTk_IA

See what that'll do.

I buggered the replies up the page. The others are correct, pic #2 is clay to induce the hamon, as they described. The picture I commented about wasn't the one that was asked about. Long Monday, lol.

Comment

Looking good as always Jason. Tell that slouchy Travis he needs more shop time and produce some knives.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post
                            Looking good as always Jason. Tell that slouchy Travis he needs more shop time and produce some knives.
                            Travis is in the middle of tearing his shop down. They close on selling their Katy house at the end of January. They're moving to Austin area, and haven't found a house up there yet. I bet it'll be a while before he's back up and running, considering that he doesn't yet know exactly where he's going to end up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
                              Travis is in the middle of tearing his shop down. They close on selling their Katy house at the end of January. They're moving to Austin area, and haven't found a house up there yet. I bet it'll be a while before he's back up and running, considering that he doesn't yet know exactly where he's going to end up.

If he wants to get some shop time he can spend time in my meek “shop” I’d be glad for the lessons [emoji16]

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Working...
                              X