No announcement yet.

Crappie withdrawals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caught about 5 on Waco, only fished about 2 hours this morning. Let the wind push us down the river and dropped jigs in front of the stumps and brush.

Only kept these two big ones. The big one is the biggest I've ever caught in my life! Wish I had a scale. Don't know how heavy it was. All the hits we had were shallow and right by the bank.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post

Caught about 5 on Waco, only fished about 2 hours this morning. Let the wind push us down the river and dropped jigs in front of the stumps and brush.

Only kept these two big ones. The big one is the biggest I've ever caught in my life! Wish I had a scale. Don't know how heavy it was. All the hits we had were shallow and right by the bank.

How muddy is the water out there after the rains?

Comment

Nice fish Flex.

Fish are bite-n. And there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!

Comment

Originally posted by Fooshman View Post
          How muddy is the water out there after the rains?
          Not too bad. Main lake is pretty clear. Rivers are a little muddy.

Comment

Caught a few crappie unintentionally today trolling for stripers at decker...biggest was 13.25"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Comment

Playtime on Palestine!!! By far my favorite lake to crappie fish in Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Man, y'all are tearing up the crappie! Congratulations

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

We caught 18 keepers(cleaned 4

before wife asked me if I had taken picture) lol, my wife could not buy a bite with minnows. Biggest was 1.59 lbs

Comment

I don't know if it's the fish I like seeing, or all the smiling faces with the fish!

Great job folks!

Fish are bite-n. And there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!

Comment

Hey guys, need some advice on jigs. Growing up in Louisiana we always caught crappie just off crickets and minnows, and beetle spins.

I'm newer to fishing them here and trying to jig anybody have recommendations on jigs, colors, etc?

Been using spinning jig heads, and the tube bodies.

Comment

Crappie withdrawals

I like jigs with curly tails. Start white, chartreuse next, then go through a couple different colors. Then to standard jigs.

Last edited by bps3040; 04-15-2017, 08:00 AM.

Comment

It never ever gets old!! Had to go stroke em again today. Had one around 2lbs

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
                            It never ever gets old!! Had to go stroke em again today. Had one around 2lbs

Nice! Hoping to pull some more tomorrow evening!

Comment

Nice work Slew! You the boys and Skloss killed-em good!

Originally posted by Flex View Post
                              Hey guys, need some advice on jigs. Growing up in Louisiana we always caught crappie just off crickets and minnows, and beetle spins.

I'm newer to fishing them here and trying to jig anybody have recommendations on jigs, colors, etc?

Been using spinning jig heads, and the tube bodies.
                              Most of the time, I use some sort of leadhead in a dark or unpainted color. And add a tube type body to it. Weight depends on a lot of things, mainly wind. I've gone as small as a /1/64oz in fishing barges during the winter pending bait selection. I like a really small tube 1.5" that time of year too. But when it's getting close to spawning time, I go a little bigger to a 2". When I feel they've seen my jig to much in the spring, I also use a 2" curly-tail grub. Black and Charturse tubes have always produced larger fish for me vs. other colors, for some reason. Not sure why. My grubs are usually white. And double for sandbass sometimes. You can also rig them with a float with 1-3ft leader during the spring. Cast it to a likely location. Let it sit for a moment, then real back really slow and stop letting the float settel. a short twitch and let it settel. Then move it a couple feet again. If you don't get a bite, real it in and try again, or select another target. I've used clear plastic floats for doing that too sometimes. It leaves less of a surface shadow. But causes more ripple in the water to draw attention.

Deeper fish, I cast and do a very slow retrieve. Or a pitch and let it fall keeping the slack out of my line. If it drapes over an underwater limb, I pull it over very gently. And usually get strikes on the fall just after.
                              Last edited by Texas Grown; 04-15-2017, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                                Nice work Slew! You the boys and Skloss killed-em good!

Most of the time, I use some sort of leadhead in a dark or unpainted color. And add a tube type body to it. Weight depends on a lot of things, mainly wind. I've gone as small as a /1/64oz in fishing barges during the winter pending bait selection. I like a really small tube 1.5" that time of year too. But when it's getting close to spawning time, I go a little bigger to a 2". When I feel they've seen my jig to much in the spring, I also use a 2" curly-tail grub. Black and Charturse tubes have always produced larger fish for me vs. other colors, for some reason. Not sure why. My grubs are usually white. And double for sandbass sometimes. You can also rig them with a float with 1-3ft leader during the spring. Cast it to a likely location. Let it sit for a moment, then real back really slow and stop letting the float settel. a short twitch and let it settel. Then move it a couple feet again. If you don't get a bite, real it in and try again, or select another target. I've used clear plastic floats for doing that too sometimes. It leaves less of a surface shadow. But causes more ripple in the water to draw attention.

Deeper fish, I cast and do a very slow retrieve. Or a pitch and let it fall keeping the slack out of my line. If it drapes over an underwater limb, I pull it over very gently. And usually get strikes on the fall just after.
                                Awesome thanks for the input! Went and got some different lead heads and tubes and grubs at academy. Going out tomorrow afternoon again.

So you guys don't use the lead heads with the spinner?

Comment

Working...
                                X