No announcement yet.

Night Vision hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First pig just fell in complete darkness. I could get use to this!

FWIW: The scope is worthless in complete darkness without an external IR. In town the scope is fine it gathers enough light from other sources. But out in the middle of nowhere (where most of us hunt) the external IR is a must have. Definitely worth spending some coin on. I can easily see 200 yards right now and it is pitch black out here.

The scope tracks very well and holds zero too, nothing but positives in that aspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach W View Post

FWIW: The scope is worthless in complete darkness without an external IR. In town the scope is fine it gathers enough light from other sources. But out in the middle of nowhere (where most of us hunt) the external IR is a must have. Definitely worth spending some coin on. I can easily see 200 yards right now and it is pitch black out here.

The scope tracks very well and holds zero too, nothing but positives in that aspect.
      X2

Comment

Originally posted by Coach W View Post

Let me clarify. Are you saying the scope is worthless when using the onboard 150mW illuminator? Which external IR did you choose?

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
          Let me clarify. Are you saying the scope is worthless when using the onboard 150mW illuminator? Which external IR did you choose?
          Correct, I didn't try it without the doubler so it may work at low magnification. With the doubler and the on board ir it's fine for in town. But in the sticks it's not even close to enough. I bought my external ir on ebay. Miket walked me through it and it's well worth the money. I could see easily 200 yards.

This guy never saw it coming.

Comment

In the pic. it looks like the lens cap with the tinted window is on the scope , did you have it on last night ?

Comment

Originally posted by jcar View Post
              In the pic. it looks like the lens cap with the tinted window is on the scope , did you have it on last night ?
              The lens cap has a hole in it for day time. And no it was open last night

Comment

Congrats on the pig. My oldest daughter shot one last night too but we couldnt find it.......when the bullet struck it let out a squeal that Doug heard back at camp but then disappeared.

Comment

Nice hog Coach! Looking good!

Ok guys, we've got settled in with the new baby and things are starting to get back to normal. I just replied to a BIG backlog of PM's about Photons and other NV. I've got the new Photon pre-order special squared away and you can feel free to PM for details if you are interested.

This whole thing is still a big shock to me because I talk to my Sightmark rep 2-3 times a day and I had no idea any new Photons were coming out so soon. Everyone logically wants to know how soon they will be available. The word I got last week was to expect my first order of 4.6x to ship in 30-60 days and the 6.5x could be 30-90 days but they are expecting the 6.5x to be very popular. I'm actually hoping/speculating for shorter delivery dates but those are the official estimates I was given.

PM me for pricing and details.

Thanks!

Jason
                  outdoorlegacygear.com

Comment

Ha, I'm first on the list. I get to show the new 6.5x off first... That's if my check don't bounce LOL kidding of course.

Can't wait to get it and try it out.

Comment

can wait ti get into night pig and varmen hunting myself hope to be set up by time deer season ends this season. getting set up for bow hunting now

Comment

Had a blast this past weekend and put the photon to work. Friday ran up on a few pigs and confirmed 1 but hit a few more. Didnt have any batteries in my Eotech! dangit. they just....sat there!Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1409080229655.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	24325517

The next night after a very long day of setting up a working and setting up a new blind at the pond, we spent a few hours in our newest creating overlooking the pond. Jason hadnt ever looked through a NV before so he picked it up and looked out and low and behold, pigs everywhere. He picked out a big boar and sent him to piggy allah. Then a few minutes later, I got my chance at a small sow. She ended up taking a nap due to a massive headache.

Did not use the IR Illuminator this weekend. Was having trouble with it. But the onboard was sufficient for our stand.

I wish I had an sd card. Sorry guys.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1409080057804.jpg
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	24325515Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1409080069744.jpg
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	24325516
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Chuy; 08-26-2014, 01:20 PM.

Comment

What rifle are ur shootong the photon off off chuy

Comment

Also is the onboard IR good for 100 yards and closer just wondering

Comment

Originally posted by bearhunter View Post
                              Also is the onboard IR good for 100 yards and closer just wondering
                              It's fine inside of 100 yards, but you will notice a significant boost with an external. There are images in this thread that compare with and without.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
                                It's fine inside of 100 yards, but you will notice a significant boost with an external. There are images in this thread that compare with and without.
                                My experience is opposite of that. The internal IR stinks. I couldn't see 35 yards with it in the pitch black sticks this past weekend.

Get an external and you can see a long ways. 200+

Comment

Working...
                                X