Public hunting scouting question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Carolina guy View Post
    Any tips for the Turkey Hunters new to Texas?
    Depends on where you are. I am from Carolina, lived in Houston 6 years. No eastern season for about a 2.5 hour drive radius. Good luck.

Comment

I'll be in Twin Buttes opening week but I looking at LBJ as a possible spot too.

Comment

Hand held gps helps a lot! Be prepared for the environment you will be entering/weather. I like to scout right after deer season is over and also during the summer. Take a rifle or shotgun and hunt while scouting, depending on the season of course (squirrel, dove, pigs etc) Google earth is your friend!!

Comment

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
          And I wouldn't walk around this time of year without snake boots and lots of water.

hey bud its Big thicket national preserve theres good deer in there and lots of hogs but man it is thick to find a spot to even sling an arrow is hard. ive been scouting a lot already I like to do mine right after deer season to find spots and then summer as well.

Comment

Public hunting scouting question.

The Hunting Public is moderately new hit YouTube video diary arrangement highlighting two particular playlists, Public Land and Private Land chasing and they exist in view of this very rule. Co-proprietors, Aaron Warbritton, and Zach Ferenbaugh are modest in their way to deal with chasing, particularly on open chasing grounds. The Hunting Public group (Aaron, Greg, Zach, Jake, and Brody) archives the high points and low points exploring all through their seasons, which makes their video diary as enlightening as it is engaging. The Hunting Public strays from the conventional instructional exercise approach of being educational on paper, rather inclining intensely on the unscripted reality of committing errors, gaining from those missteps, and adjusting forcefully to remain in the amusement just before the camera so the watcher takes in the lessons by seeing them as they happen.

Comment

Originally posted by laracraft View Post
              The Hunting Public is moderately new hit YouTube video diary arrangement highlighting two particular playlists, Public Land and Private Land chasing and they exist in view of this very rule. Co-proprietors, Aaron Warbritton, and Zach Ferenbaugh are modest in their way to deal with chasing, particularly on open chasing grounds. The Hunting Public group (Aaron, Greg, Zach, Jake, and Brody) archives the high points and low points exploring all through their seasons, which makes their video diary as enlightening as it is engaging. The Hunting Public strays from the conventional instructional exercise approach of being educational on paper, rather inclining intensely on the unscripted reality of committing errors, gaining from those missteps, and adjusting forcefully to remain in the amusement just before the camera so the watcher takes in the lessons by seeing them as they happen.

I follow them, great video journals. They are the real deal.

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                I follow them, great video journals. They are the real deal.

Agreed. I really enjoy their videos. I love hunting videos that just have the sights and sounds of nature (as opposed to rock music blaring in your ear) and give solid tips and tactical advice. I’ve learned a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A lot of good advice has already been given. Here are my .02 cents...

1) try to figure out what the prevailing winds are for the areas you are going to hunt. Once you locate a good spot see if you can find multiple sets for the spot. minimally , figure out your set up for the prevailing winds and for when a cold front blows in.... Also, see if you can access the spot from different directions for different winds...

Best advice I can give you is to go out into the wonderful outdoors as often as you can. You can learn a lot from just going for a walk in the areas you plan to hunt. Best of luck to you.

Comment

I scout all the time and i will hit it hard in a couple of more weeks. I just look for old rubs and scrapes and make a guess for the opener. Sometimes your blessed and sometimes your not.

Comment

Originally posted by newbieG View Post
                      I am fairly new to Texas and this will be my first year to really hunt public land here pretty hard. Also the first year I've ever hunted whitetail.

My question is how do y'all go about scouting public land? If cameras are allowed do you use them? When do you start your scouting? Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!
                      The best time to scout is the first week after hunting season. Foliage is down you can see rubs, scrapes, trails real easy. If you cant go then, now is a good time. Look for mast trees, bring your binoculars so you can see into the trees for fruit or acorns. Most fruit will be getting pretty good size and you should be able to see some smallish acorns. Topo maps is your friend, google maps, any overhead viewing is a help. But nothing is like boots on the ground, looking for perspective spots and possible animals to hunt.

I always tried to go at least once a month till about August. I have used cameras on public and never had one stolen. However I hid them very well.

Most people don't realize how good PH is. I usually killed several animals every season. The biggest headache I had with public was illegal dog hunting of deer.

Have fun, its worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTxHog View Post
                        [IMG][/IMG]
                        If it is holding water it could a potential place for Mayhaw or possibly Persimmons. Now Mayhaw is ripening now, but Persimmons will be ripe in October which will be a deer and hog magnet. I would check it out at least.

Comment

Originally posted by laracraft View Post
                          Yeah, they are pretty good. I watch them all the time.

Comment

Do you have to wear the orange while scouting before the season opens? First time I'm gonna try out SHNF.

Comment

Originally posted by M_Angelo View Post
                              Do you have to wear the orange while scouting before the season opens? First time I'm gonna try out SHNF.
                              SHNF is open to the public for bird watching, nature trails, etc. If you are not carrying a firearm then you don't have to wear orange. If you carry a firearm = yes you have to wear orange. (seems like the bird watchers should have to wear orange, not the person with the gun...but rules are rules)

Comment

Originally posted by hot_rod_eddie View Post
                                SHNF is open to the public for bird watching, nature trails, etc. If you are not carrying a firearm then you don't have to wear orange. If you carry a firearm = yes you have to wear orange. (seems like the bird watchers should have to wear orange, not the person with the gun...but rules are rules)

Yeah, that doesn't make sense that hikers, or bird watchers etc don't have to yet we do. Thanks a lot. I'm definitely gonna get out there soon for archery season

Comment

Working...
                                X