Forming 280AI brass from 30-06

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes the Nosler factory brass is good and I have had great luck with it but it has been near non-existent for nearly a year so...

I purchased Lapua 30-06 brass & a Hornady hydro-form die.

This process has many steps but it is still very cost effective and saves round count on a quality rifle.

I used a Redding 3 die set, the neck sizing die crushed the first 3 cases I tried so I switched to the body die. This eked the cases down some but not enough to feed into the hydro die so I went back to the neck die.

I set up the hydro die and used this bottle to fill the cases with alcohol
    3 firm hits of a dead blow produced dang nice results with next to no liquid leakage so long as I removed the stem prior to lowering the brass.

1,3&5 are new un-fired formed cases while 2&4 are Nos brass with 6 firings.

The necks are thick and will require turning next.
    Last edited by bboswell; 05-15-2017, 09:25 PM.

looking good B

Comment

Are they the same length?

Comment

Originally posted by 686PPP View Post
        Are they the same length?

They are the same length but the shoulders aren't quite as sharp as the fired cases. Still much better than all the extra wasted shots and head space issues associated with forming 30-06 brass to 280AI

Comment

whew, glad I have a bunch of 280ai brass on-hand.

Comment

Very very nice! Kudos, sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Since when has the hornady/norma gone missing?? I have a box of 50 I haven't broken the seal on yet.

Nice work...although it looks like a lot of it. You should get a bunch more case life with those. I wonder if re-annealing is worth it?? Lapua is da bomb.

~~~~~~~

Edit...sorry brother.

I had a brain toot & just went out and checked...It's the Nosler I have been shooting, although I'm not certain if they roll their own?? Again, I have a .311 neck & this brass has been measuring .309-.310 loaded.
              Last edited by Artos; 05-16-2017, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                Since when has the hornady/norma gone missing?? I have a box of 50 I haven't broken the seal on yet.

Nice work...although it looks like a lot of it. You should get a bunch more case life with those. I wonder if re-annealing is worth it?? Lapua is da bomb.

~~~~~~~

Edit...sorry brother.

I had a brain toot & just went out and checked...It's the Nosler I have been shooting, although I'm not certain if they roll their own?? Again, I have a .311 neck & this brass has been measuring .309-.310 loaded.

Nosler has served me well but they just can't keep up on production it seems. The rifle these are for has real potential so the better Lapua brass and being able to turn the necks to fit the chamber is worth it to me.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                  Nosler has served me well but they just can't keep up on production it seems. The rifle these are for has real potential so the better Lapua brass and being able to turn the necks to fit the chamber is worth it to me.
                  I totally understand the disease amigo...gotta realize mine has my name along with born on date of December 28th 1994 inscribed on the bbl. No idea of how many rounds or the different scopes that have been on the gun.

You are evolving as I did...one thing I realized is a 1/4" gun doesn't kill any better than a 1/2" gun & quit chasing my tail as I got older.

The one thing I am interested in is how many reloads you get out of the Lapua, as the Nosler is soft & sucks, but I run hot...it will be a sad day when I have to re-barrel. I love this gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                    I totally understand the disease amigo...gotta realize mine has my name along with born on date of December 28th 1994 inscribed on the bbl. No idea of how many rounds or the different scopes that have been on the gun.

You are evolving as I did...one thing I realized is a 1/4" gun doesn't kill any better than a 1/2" gun & quit chasing my tail as I got older.

The one thing I am interested in is how many reloads you get out of the Lapua, as the Nosler is soft & sucks, but I run hot...it will be a sad day when I have to re-barrel. I love this gun.

Yep, I did all this back in the day with my 270 and got over it for the same reasons you mention.

I was forced into this due to quality brass availability. At least I didn't have to weight sort and cull 25% of my brass like before, but that's why I went Lapua [emoji57]

Comment

Looks good!!

If anyone is interested I found these. http://www.casingsplus.com/280-ackley-imp-brass-50-ct/

Comment

Originally posted by SOLID EAGLE View Post
                        Looks good!!

If anyone is interested I found these. http://www.casingsplus.com/280-ackley-imp-brass-50-ct/
                        Rare find right now but dang $1.59 ea???

Comment

I get doing this from lapua brass because it's so good.

But just a thought, how much is the hydroform die, and could you just do this with Nosler or some other brand standard 280 brass?

Comment

Originally posted by txagyotebuster View Post
                            I get doing this from lapua brass because it's so good.

But just a thought, how much is the hydroform die, and could you just do this with Nosler or some other brand standard 280 brass?

Any std 280 Rem brass can be fire formed without issue but I don't want to waste that much powder/bullets/primers/barrel life.

Nosler 280AI brass is hard to find and 35% more than Lapua when found so.....

Comment

Sorry, i should have been more clear. I was thinking hydroform instead of fire forming, don't care to waste a bunch of time and bullets and powder. I was just interested in seeing if it would be easier/cheaper/less time to do this instead.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X