Mow first or just disc it in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have about 1.5 acres of oats and clover that I planted in the Fall that are still doing well, but it's time to put in the Spring plot. Should I mow the oats down close to the ground then disc, or just disc the standing oats right in? I plan to put in a Turner Spring Plot mix which includes cow peas, soybeans, chicory and some others. No need for lime as soil is already balanced well given our area.

Thanks in advance for any input!

I would turn it under for " green manure ", as it benefits the soil. I did all my plots weeks ago as soon as the deer quit using them. That gives it time to decay. I don't know if that's important, but it's what I do. Kind of a natural weed and grass suppressor too.

Comment

Till it in.

Comment

If you shred it close ro the ground it will disc better. Can be done either way.

Comment

^^^ this

Comment

I've had good success broadcasting and shredding over the top.

Comment

Panhandlehunter - you just broadcast the seed into the existing field with oats and then go back and shred the field, letting existing oats and clover clippings fall on top of seed? Then just leave it or disc it all together?

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                I've had good success broadcasting and shredding over the top.

This is what I do and it works very well.
                Once all the seed is out I shred then come back with the fertilizer. I don't want the fertilizer out there when I'm shredding getting all over the shredder and rusting it out. Leave it just like that and wait for rain.
                Search throw and mow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Last edited by slabnabbin; 04-18-2017, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BeltonLaw View Post
                  Panhandlehunter - you just broadcast the seed into the existing field with oats and then go back and shred the field, letting existing oats and clover clippings fall on top of seed? Then just leave it or disc it all together?

Yep. No discing.

Comment

Ok, dumb question. If the clover and oats are doing well why not just leave it?

Comment

Mow it close to the ground then disc it.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker95 View Post
                        Mow it close to the ground then disc it.
                        This only wait a week or two for the mowed stuff to dry out and it will then be much easier to disc under.

Comment

Lot of plot prep depends on your soil and area it is in. I put all my plots near a creek bottom and the soil is sandy loam. This year is only 7 acres as I took some time away to go to New Mexico.
                          My oats/wheat mix was still green when I sprayed a 3% solution of generic Gly over the 7 acres. Next day lime and fertilizer was put down. I waited one week and set the gangs on my disc angled in to cut. One pass only then planted Red Ripper peas, clay peas, sorghum and sunflower mix. Last Sunday sprouts were over three inches tall.
                          I tend not to shred an existing food plot, I would rather use it as thatch to keep moisture in the ground.
                          Last edited by Radar; 04-20-2017, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X